COMIC What to read?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by DevPool, May 18, 2006.

1. DevPool

DevPool So you like to play games, huh!?

Hey guys,

I've read the Ultimate X-men series, Y: The last Man, and am just finishing up the House/Generation/Son of M storyline. I was wondering if any of you guys could toss some suggestions out for something else to read.

Thanks very much.

2. axio

axio New Member

Pretty much the entire Ultimate Universe is excellent.

I really like the following:
    The Ultimates
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Batman's entire Jason Todd saga (basically Hush-OYL)
    Green Lantern Rebirth
    Rising Stars
    Wanted
    Age of Reptiles
    New Avengers

3. DevPool

Thank you very much Axio.

After Son of M, is Civil War the next story arc, or do they exist alongside each other? Is the "198" series anywhere in there? I don't even know what issues that arc is a part of.

I'm really liking the Ultimate universe because it's so much easier to grasp. 90 issues of X-men versus 9,000.

To tell you guys the truth, I really don't see how you keep up with everything.

4. backslide

backslide This space for rent. Inquire inside.

Fables
    100 Bullets
    The Walking Dead
    Invincible
    Captain America v5
    The Punisher v5

5. backslide

Son of M follows House of M. Whether it will lead into Civil War is yet to be seen in the last issue. (It most likely will.)

Son of M, The 198, and the X-family titles mostly happen concurrently after House of M.

Civil War is considered the third part of a trilogy after House of M with Avengers Disassembled begin the first "chapter".

6. DevPool

" Batman's entire Jason Todd saga (basically Hush-OYL)"

I feel like a tool asking so many questions, but which Batman issues is this arc included in if any of you guys know off hand? I haven't read Batman in ages. I looked in the FTP listing and saw "Return of the Hush" but I'm not sure.

7. DevPool

So, Avengers Disassembled is the first part of the chapter, and House of M is the second, and now Civil War is the 3rd?

Are all of these other arcs (like The 198) occurring sort of at the same time as the Civil War arc? Or is it different timelines/situations under the traditional Marvel universe? I saw where you said that Son of M is yet to be seen if it will lead into Civil War, so I'm guessing it's not all simultaneous.

There is a lot to this stuff.

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  8. backslide

Batman #608-619 is the Hush storyarc.

And then Batman #635 begins the lengthy return of Jason Todd.

The War Games storyarc was pretty decent. That happens in between Hush and the return of Jason Todd.

9. backslide

Pretty much, yeah.

The 198 and Son of M happens in between House of M and Civil War. They're mini-series so they're pretty self contained.

While the action of Avengers Disassembled leads pretty much directly into House of M (with the Scarlett Witch becoming all crazy and losing control of her powers), the result of House of M doesn't really directly lead into Civil War.

10. DevPool

I'm not too familiar with the actual comics, so I don't even know who Jason Todd is, but I'll check it out.

11. DevPool

Alright, I think I got it. A lot of these mini-series are off in their own corner of left field while the main storyline currently is the Civil War series. Because House of M did not lead directly into Civil War, they did some small series like The New Avengers, Illuminati, 198, and such.

After I read these books and catch up with what's going on right now, I'm just going and just stay on it from here on out so I don't have to do this all over again.

12. backslide

:eek4:

Robin II?

The kid who got blown up by Joker?

13. DevPool

:wtc:

I are the newb.

I'm fixing that though.:hsd:

14. backslide

Sort of.

New Avengers is ongoing. The Old Avengers disbanded and new members were inducted as new Avengers. And Illuminati does tie in with Civil War.

198, Son of M, Generation M are X-family titles that deal with the aftermath of House of M - since House of M dealt mostly with mutants. Those were mini-series.

15. DevPool

Whew.

Ok, I finally understand.

I have no clue what I'd do without you guys. Thanks a ton.

16. void

void oh yeah?

new avengers is absolutly fantastic, i was never a avengers fan until now (for reasons beyond me).

i'm a hardcore wolverine fan. this second round has been great with the exception of coyote crossing, which really isn't that bad...it's just kind of boring. return of the native was a fun run, then mark millar took over for enemy of the state and return of the SHIELD :eek5:

i'm SO looking forward to vandetta :bigok:

17. Pyrdwein

Pyrdwein New Member

I don't know about you, but I definately had reasons I wasn't an Avengers fan until now, but man New Avengers rocks. A ton of new characters, and some others that always had potential that I see in a whole new light now. The juxtaposition of the Ultimates and New Avengers vs. Old Avengers really hits every sticking point I ever had against the old versions. If I wasn't a fan before, I am now with the new age versions.

18. axio

axio New Member

Simple story: Dick Grayson got kinda old in the eyes of readers and so DC made him quit being Robin and he went off to become Nightwing.

Then people bitched that they didn't like the idea of Batman being alone so they introduced an X-TREME ROBIN! This Robin, Jason Todd, was raised on the streets, was a wise ass, and was "found" stealing the hubcaps off the Batmobile.

Robin fanboys instantly hated him because he wasn't Dick Grayson so DC had a poll and people overwhelmingly voted to have him killed off. So the Joker crowbarred him and blew him up (it was a reaaaaally crappy story known as "Death in the Family", I can't stress how shitty it was). Then people got pissed that Jason Todd's death made Batman even darker and that he wouldn't go a few pages without talking about Todd's death and responsibility and bla bla bla.

So DC said "fuck you fanboys" and brought Jason Todd back even more X-TREME as Red Hood. Red Hood hails all the way back to Joker's origin story. Jason becomes Red Hood, beats the Joker close to death with a crowbar after he gets creamed by Hush (another long story), completely fucks with Bruce, and then ends up blowing up Joker, Batman, and himself at the end of the pre-OYL Batman.

They haven't explained how Batman survived, how Jason Todd survived, or what happened to Joker but they probably will in 52 and the OYL series of Batman.

People reaaaaaaally hate Jason Todd, he can't get respect no matter what role he takes. I'm iffy about him, I didn't care for him as Robin but I really like the idea of him being a superhero who is getting back by actually killing bad guys because it goes against everything Batman stands for.

19. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

annihilation is pretty good so far
    wolverine origins (only on issue 2 now but its good i think)
    astonishing x-men

also the Ultimate Universe which was mentioned already

20. DevPool

Thank you Axio for the summary. One last question if you can tolerate it; what does OYL stand for?

Sorry for posting a few days later, I've been out of town. :)

Thanks also for the other recommendations.

21. backslide

One Year Later

After the Infinite Crisis (the most current crisis [long storyline impacting all of DC]), all the DC comics jumped one year.

What happened during that "missing" year is covered in the weekly DC comic "52".

22. DevPool

I see.

Fanks!

23. DevPool

Well, I just read Batman 608-650. Pretty damned good. Couple of slightly boring arcs in there after Hush and before issue 635, but overall, pretty good.

Black Mask cracks me up. Especially the issue where Bats and Todd fight "Captain Nazi."

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll probably go down the line of the suggestions here until I get them all read. :big grin:

I've got all issues of Batman (1-652) now if anyone wants something.