GUN What to purchase?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Didact, May 6, 2007.

1. Didact

Didact I have no idea what I'm doing

Gah, I can't go out anymore without comparing gun prices... First it was a glock, then I started to skeet shoot with a borrowed remmy 870, then I signed up at a range, NRA membership, buying ammo in bulk...

I never knew this shit was so addicting.

Anywaz, I've got a couple hundred to blow and I was considering a plinking rifle to screw around with on easy days. Maybe a 10/22 or a 597? opinions?

But then, I noticed a Hi-point 9mm for right at $200. That's just a friggin' neat little rifle, and I don't know anyone else who's shot one. Reliable?

2. mvizos

mvizos New Member

you'll hear a lot of grief about them, but.

I've got a hi-point carbine with the ATI stock.

is it as nice as my cx4 storm?
    no.

Is it still a fun little plinker?
    yes!

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Wait, Griffin what are your "goals" in this hobby? That might help us help you decide.

4. Didact

Goals? Ah, I'm gonna plink with one, and I'll just shoot the other. Either way, I'll probally try to buy both in the next few months.. I just wanna figure out which to lean towards first! ;)

5. JaimeZX

.22 would be cheaper; you looking for any SD weapons?

6. Didact

As in self-defense? Well I was planning on getting a 870 or a mossberg 500 for the house and to shoot skeet everyone in a while. Nothing special. Of course I say that now, and in 6 months I'll be looking for mods ;)

I went to the local wally world tonight and priced their .22s. $160 for a Remmy 870 and $230 for a 10/22 I hate the wood stocks on both and I'd change them out the moment I bought one, just adding to price.

Then I look over and see a bolt action 30 06 for $240... gah.

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Ouch man, I got a synthetic stock 10/22 for $157 here on a sale at Bi-Mart. Where are you at?

8. whamola

whamola Tonight....you.

I love my Ruger 10/22.

9. JaimeZX

I like (non-crappy looking) wooden stocks on long guns. :) Except for a tacticool shotgun.

If you get a Mossberg 500 or an 870 then you'll have a double-duty trap/skeet/HD weapon; I prefer the 870 but Big 5 had the 500 w/ two barrels (18" / 26") on sale for $215 so I couldn't really pass that up.

If you just want to plink then I'd get the 10/22. And later a Mk II or Mk III .22 pistol. Cheap ammo > *

If you're looking for that + a HD weapon then get a 10/22 and one of the aforementioned shotguns.

Later you'll want a 1911. :coold:

10. mrchina

mrchina Guest

I have a CX4 storm and I love it. If you can afford it it's a great piece to start your collection off I feel. 9mm, .40, and .45 so if you do decide to get a handgun in the future it's pretty nice when you buy ammo as you can get it in bulk. It's built well, you can add EOTech or other accessories, accurate, and it feels great in your hand. I bring different friends out target shooting that don't own firearms, and they think it's neat. Sometimes they are anti-gun but want to "try it out" and they end up liking it when they get away from the stigma. I think that's solved by the modern looks of the gun as well as the little recoil felt as it's the ammo is made for handguns. It's very comfy to shoot above all, which I think is also a very important aspect.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2007
  11. Didact

No shit? West TN must have a mark-up from hell.... Yeah, I though it was a bit steep for a 10/22. The 597 was just under $160

12. Didact

Damn that's a good ass deal. I think the 870 was going for $240-260 here at Walmart. From what I'm gathering, I think my wally world is a little jacked up in the price department.

I think I'll go for the 10/22 if I can find it at the same price other's are telling me about. The idea of buying a brick of .22 for 8-9 bux is awesome.

13. Didact

Yeah if I looked anymore at the Hi-point carbine, I was considering purchasing it in the 40 caliber. I own a glock 23, so it would be nice to buy all the ammo in bulk. ... Which reminds me.. I need to find a good place to buy in bulk -- but that's another thread.

14. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

here is what i want my collection to be, sometime this year:

uspc 9mm
    uspf .45 (tactical?)
    remmy 870
    remmy 700
    ar15
    10/22
    .357 j-frame

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Check out the marlin 60 as well as the 10/22. Most people find the marlin to be more accurate and better fitting out of the box although not as customizable. Its really had to beat $10 for 500 shots with .22 though.

Pistol caliber carbine...I'm kind of cold on them (yes I have one). You have the bulk of a rifle with the power of a handgun. If its the high point you don't get high capacity magazines for it. They are light weight and easier to hit with than a handgun but in general I think you'd be better to get a "real" rifle for defense or a .22 for plinking.

On the plus side if you're on a budget you can usually find a good used 870, 10/22, and marlin 60 at a pawn shop or gun store for a decent savings over new. Alot of people wind up getting $50-75 marlins.

16. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

right now CDNN has Steyr MA1s in 9mm and .40 for $349 plus $9 shipping and then tax.

its a fucking steal. I am going to my ffl today to pick mine up and I am probably going to order another one next week.

17. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

18. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

:eek4:

19. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Ruger 10/22 is the best plinker IMO
    Also great first .22 (next to the cricket for the younger kids)

20. Didact

Shot a couple ARs this past weekend -- I wont pretend to know alot about them -- but jesus that was an awesome rifle. Local shop has 4-5 of them for <$800

I'd definately like to have one maybe this year..

21. Didact

There's actually a shop locally that had 2 Hi Points for sell. I dunno -- I was kinda turned off by the cheapness of the plastic stocks and feel. It felt more like a toy in my hands than a 'real' fun. But I understand they may have sacrificed a little build quality to achieve the price.

I haven't shot one yet, but at the same time I don't think I'd buy one now unless I just HAD a couple hundred to screw around with.

I'd prefer a firearm that I can actually have a good time with and practice.

I'm thinking about maybe picking up a 10/22 to plink and maybe find a lower end bolt action rifle to do some distance stuff with.

I found a 10/22 new for 180, and a 30.06 remington bolt action for 240... That may be a good combo for learning