GUN What to look for in an AK?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by idleprocess, Dec 30, 2006.

1. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I'm thinking of buying an AK this weekend, and was wondering what I might look for. I dropped by Military Gun Supply in Fort Worth today and saw that they had two flavors - a pseudo RPK-74 for $300 by Century Arms and a more standard AK from Poland with an underfolder stock for $600. A guy browsing the Polish AK's said that proper sight alignment is something to look for and pointed out a few on the wall that had good alignment (front sight was perpendicular to the barrell). The Polish units felt better than the Century models and had chrome-lined barrells, but $600 for an AK seemed steep.

The Cheaper than Dirt retail outlet in Fort Worth has Century AKs for $400, which I think I'll avoid.

I'll probably be checking out some Romanian/WASR AKs at another retailer tomorrow.

Anything else I need to look for or anywhere else in the DFW area I might look?

2. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

How about you go back and buy the one you broke? :run:

3. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

They can make an "AK pistol" out of that one since the folder was clearly defective.

4. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

I'm gonna go stuff that shit in my pants. Will be gangsta.

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Polish > Yugo > Romanian
    But $600 is steep, better off buying an Arsenal for that much, shop around I've seen the poles go for closer to $500. As far as checking out the Romy rifles if its a WASR and more then $320 it isn't worth unless it has more extras then just a mag.

6. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

if you can find one in any caliber my vote are VEPR ak's FTMFW....Arsenals are really nice too but good luck finding any that dont cost as much as an AR15 these days...Yugo underfolders would be decent too i guess

7. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

Are the WASR's really that bad? I'm looking into one here, but I really don't want to drop the $350-ish the local shop is asking only to find out I need to put another $200+ into it to make it shoot reliably and with acceptable accuracy.

Whole damn point of an AK is the reliability, IMO. I'm not looking for a MOA-shooter, just a for-fun rifle. I do expect it to put the bullets in the general area of where I put the sights, though, too.

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The main problem with the WASR's and SAR's is Century put them together which means trigger group maybe of poor quality and need replacing ($35) another common thing is the canted front site which you can fix yourself. I've got 3 Romanian AK's SAR1, SAR2, WASR2, I ditched the century trigger in all of them none of them had trigger slap though, they all had straight sites when I got them. Its pretty much the luck of the draw if you'll get one great out of the box or you may need to do some tweeking.

9. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

Will a dry-firing show anything prior to purchase, or is it something that I'd have to kind of wait and see on?

Tweeking I don't mind. It's when I have to wholesale replace a bunch of factory-screwed-up stuff that I'd get annoyed. :)

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dry firing wouldn't show, the sites you should be able to tell by eyeballing them real good. If you have to replace the trigger group Tapco G2 is like $35 I got 1 of them in the WASR, both my SAR's have RSA which is about twice that. I recomend one or the other anyway both feel nicer then the Century trigger the RSA is well worth it if you decide to spend a bit extra.

A couple vendors already sell the WASR's with the G2 triggers in them, problem is they usually have other Tapco furniture on them :ugh:

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

WASRs aren't bad for a shooters rifle. Some people have cleaned theirs up and they actually look pretty nice. Like Squid said, you'll probably want to replace the FCG with a G2 ($35) or RSA ($75). Either one will work fine but the RSA is a little nicer, it has an adjustable trigger which is worth the extra cash if you want to go that route. Again, like Squid said, avoid the Tapco furniture. It feels like shit.

12. reman

reman New Member

get a nice Vector Ak for like $500