GUN What to get into reloading. What am I missing

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GTslow88, Sep 30, 2007.

1. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

reloading machine (planing on a progressive press, Dillon 550B)
    scale
    dies
    tumbler
    case trimmer

what else?

2. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Here's my list of stuff to eventually get:

-a place with enough space to do this!

-Dillon reloading press. XL650
    -powder feed
    -powder alarm
    -plastic handle

-Single stage press
    -for .50cal and other magnum calibers

-reloading bench
    -ammo boxes
    -ammo cases
    -RCBS case prep machine
    -swager
    -tumbler
    -media seperator
    -case lube
    -case polish
    -organizing bins
    -loading blocks
    -primer tubes
    -powder trickler
    -priming tool
    -assorted dies
    -labels
    -labels
    -labels
    -electric scales
    -electric calipers
    -bullet case length gauge
    -bullet puller

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

all depends on what you are going to be reloading for. Case trimmer isn't necessary for handgun ammo. what calibers are you reloading for and how much ammo do you plan on shooting a month?

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

Spare gun for when you blow it up.. I learned the hard way..

5. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:ugh:

6. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

Good job. :bowdown:

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:rofl:

8. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

9mm, .45ACP, .44 mag, 30-06, 30 Carbine, maybe .223 or 7.62 × 39 (if it ends up being cheap enough to warrant not buying bulk)

As far as how much shooting, I would like to shoot 1000 rounds a month of various calibers. Right now I only shoot 400-500 rounds.

9. GTslow88

GTslow88 Guest

:cool:

More pieces than I thought though.

10. AB13

AB13 New Member

Let me reiterate by saying reloading is NOT for everyone. You have to have a little higher level of conciousness and detail for your work. it's not for everyone. I have loaded 10's of thousands of loads and never had that problem. I have shooting partners that have loaded for over 20 years that have never blown up a gun.

So if you are not very "keen" or get distracted easily, you have no business on a reloader. You'll only endanger yourself and others around you.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

My suggestion is to tighten your scope when you initally start reloading. do not go gung ho and try to reload for all that the first 6-9 months. I would highly suggest only reloading for 9 and 40 cal for now, until you become absolutely proficient in your process. The learning curve when it comes to reloading should be respected, otherwise you'll end up like the poster above and blowing up your gun if you don't know what you are doing.

For this very reason, I always would recommend a single stage press to an absolute newb. Don't try to go for numbers, go for quality. Just like shooting, you start off slow, your speed will come with experience. When you rush it, its when it bites you in the ass. There are no short cuts to reloading, you put in your dues correctly and you can reload your entire life with out blowing up a gun and save a significant amount of cash doing so, as well as pick up a worthwile and rewarding side hobby to gun ownership.

- Ammo Press
    - Digital Powder scale (and I mean powder scale, not that digital scale you used to use to weigh your weed either. A bonifide "gun powder scale" that will read out to "grains".
    - A good set of Calipers digital is easiest and fastest to use, especially when you start reloading alot of ammo.
    - Tumbler w/ media (get your media from Walmart. Crushed walnuts in the pet section)
    - For ammo blocks, I use the little plastic blocks that they use to package ammo in. Nothing fancy, I just need to use it to check my primers, detect deviations in OAL quickly, and for counting.
    - Bullet puller (for when you mess up, or think you mess up. When in doubt, pull it out and check. ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK YOUR AMMO, IF YOU HAVE THE SLIGHTEST OF DOUBTS.
    - Die set for your ammo
    - Conversion kit (depending on what press you get, you will have an option of a free conversion kit that comes with the press.
    - Freezer bags (this is where I store my cleaned/dirty brass. As well as use for my completed ammo to take to the range.)
    - Primer flip tray
    - a good desk light (one of the most important overlooked pieces of my process. You have to make absolutely sure you look into every single cartridge to make sure that a. you have powder b. it's not double charged. c. the inside of your cartridge is truly clean AND dry! important)
    - Load databook from: Sierra, Hodgdon, etc.
    - bullet components: Primers, brass, bullets and powder.
    - Most important Brains, patience, a good eye and attention to detail. The reloading game has a very mean way of weeding out anyone that doesn't maintain the following. Again, this isn't for everyone, and I'd hate to see just anyone doing this that does not know exactly what they are doing.

A shot of what my bench looks like. Notice the "reject" bin. If I have any doubt at all about a round, I chuck it in here to be pulled apart later and placed back into inventory.

the green box is my primer flip tray (best 5$ you'll spend for reloading equipment), notice the loading blocks are just old ammo trays you get from buying factory ammo. I get plenty from my shooting range usually left on the table, etc. My desk light (I even retrofitted a reading light on my press itself. You can see it in this pic. I utilize old tupper ware to store my bullets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My scale: Lyman 1000 $100
    [​IMG]
    Digital calipers:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  12. AB13

AB13 New Member

This is what 6000 rounds of ammo in components looks like. I think I spent somewhere around 4-500 bucks. But I'm still feeding my .45's, 40's and 9mm from this stash.

[​IMG]

13. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

Aristotle, where do you buy your bullets? I'm looking for .38/.357, just practice/range FMJ rounds in about 158gr. So far the best deal I've found is at midway, 1000 Rainier leadsafe for ~$83. I thought about cast bullets, but I don't want to deal with the clean up, and I don't want to handle too much lead and end up with kids like lightspeed.

I think I recall you saying you got your reloading costs down to ~$.06/round, how'd you do it?

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

I have an insider with Rainier Ballistics as they are made here locally, and have friends that are sponsored shooters. I usually put in a big enough order that they give me, and my group of friends a significant amount of savings. I order them 10K rounds at a time. My friends order 10-25k rounds at a time.

If you are buying them 1k at a time, I'd suggest Berries, Powder Valley or Natchez.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/categories/11-0.php

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

http://www.natchezss.com/category.cfm?category=6&brand=RH&catLevel=1

Another really cheap alternative is Moly coated bullets. I actually shoot with Tom here locally (owner) and if you look online with all of the competitive shooting board, him and his company are highly regarded. The Secratary of our club, has shot well over 40k of his stuff. Tom knows what he's talking about and is a GrandMaster shooter.

Keep in mind, his prices reflect are also SHIPPED! I usually get my bullet order in 2-3 days. so he is really fast!

http://www.masterblastersbullets.com/

I had a convo with him and he due to the lead supply, he said he is going to start raising his prices very soon. So if you order, order SOON!

15. Dr. Fuckface

Dr. Fuckface Wheelguns: when it absolutely, positively has to g

Bookmarked.

thanks, man!:bigok: