What to get? DirectTV or Dish Networks?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cdoyle, Jan 23, 2005.

1. cdoyle

cdoyle I finally changed this!

Comcast has raised my bill again, for the 4th year in a row. I'm now paying $61 for basic digital cable. So I'm going to finally go Satellite. Just not sure who to go with?

I've been leaning toward Dish Networks, because their programming packages seem a little better. They have their top 180 package for $49.99.

Does anyone here have Dish Networks, if so how do you feel about them?
    I also had another question about their DVR receivers? Do you have to pay a monthly fee to use them?

I know that DirectTV has Tivo, and you have to pay a montly fee to use it.

All I want is to be able to press 'record' and have it record whatever I want onto the harddrive. I really don't need a little Tivo guy telling me 'he' thinks I might want to watch.

Thanks
    Chris.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

meh, both have contracts.

3. cdoyle

I thought if you buy the equipment there were no contracts?

Even if there are, it's better then Comcast.

4. badvr4

badvr4 New Member

i work for directv as an installer. dish network does not require contracts where im located. directv requires a 1 yr subscription. while im not sure about dish nets programming fees, we are having a special offer of 3 mos of free hbo and showtime on the 39.99 plans and higher. we are also advertising 4 free regular recievers with professional installation(ie no wall drops or slaving more than 1 tv) for free. our recievers are much nicer than dishnets imo. directvs customer care is one of the best in the industry. led 3 years in a row. either one is better than cable, but id go with directv. if you go with directv, keep my name handy. i can help you troubleshoot your system without calling in for a service call ($70) hth

5. badvr4

badvr4 New Member

also, dvr service is 3.99/monthly. as long as the tv you are running the dvr unit isnt on an interior wall, there will be no additional charges for install. 49.99 for unit itself includes installation.

most of the programs you get with dish are completely useless. home and garden, shit like that. i hear about all the problems all the time when i take their dishes down... and put on directv's. ;)

6. cdoyle

thanks for the info.

Does DirectTV have a programming package similar to Dish's Top 180?
    The 180 comes with Encore, and the Movie Channel for $49.99

I see DirectTV has their Total Choice Plus and I think it comes to $47 (my friends have it), but you don't get any movie type channels.

Also at least from what I can find on Dish's website, they have DVR's that don't require a montly fee. The 508 is what I've been looking at.

Does DirectTV have any type of DRV reciever that you don't have to pay the monthly fee? I like the idea of having a DVR, but I don't think it's worth paying a monthly fee for.

Thanks again
    Chris.

7. badvr4

badvr4 New Member

chris,

im not 100 percent on the programming. i pretty much just install it and troubleshoot it, nothing sales related. programming may vary in different parts of the country. here, most of the customers go with the 39.99 total choice, thats 130 channels and 3 mos free of the movie channels. im almost positive we have a 49.99 package, which is the top one(could be 59.99-again, not sure) but if you have the premium package, you dont pay for the dvr service. which with todays marketing, may be what they(dish) are advertising with the zero dvr fee. our movie packages are like 10 bux, so 130 plus hbo, showtime, then the others from the extra 10 bux and youll have like all 8 of em.

all the dvr recievers require the 3.99 fee with directv, unless like mentioned above, you are on the top plan.

what does dish charge for additional recievers? our price is 4.99 per additional, so you get 1 for, lets say, 39.99, and then add 4.99 for every additional reciever monthly. but, you get up to 4, which the equipment is free, and also yours to keep.

which brings me to another point, dish is month to month, in which case, you rent their recievers. they break, you pay. you cancel, you have to go tear their shit out. lol.

im sure youll love the dvr unit. if you get it, ask for the phillips 708. its got the version 2 hardrive which stores 80 hours. pimp shit. if a guy shows up at your door with the old 35hr one, send his ass home and reschedule til they bring a 708. dont get the samsung either, ask for the phillips.

8. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

i always liked the gui on dish better... just a little more functional.

9. smb3

smb3 New Member

DirectTV = awesome

10. bdeezy

bdeezy Guest

get directv for sure, they're launching a high HD program thats gonna blow cable away