SRS What to expect from a therapist / therapy.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paulie Walnuts, May 2, 2008.

1. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Hello all.

Let me start by saying thank you to those that have reached out to me thus far especially Chris whom literally saved my life one night.

A little background, I am facing a divorce that I do not want because of mistakes that I made. I love my wife more than anything in the world and all I have ever wanted to do was raise a family and be loved. Insecurities and other things (I will answer questions if you have them) led to her leaving coupled with an incident 5 weeks ago. I have long suffered from depression and it is now believed that I am type 2 bi-polar.

With that said, I am have been in therapy several weeks now and I want to know what I should expect from my therapist in the way of treatment et al from those that have been through it. A lot of you have stated that it is has been very beneficial to you and I want to know what you did or what the therapist did to help it make it beneficial for you. Right now I am at one session a week but starting week after next we are kicking it up to two times a week to get me through what I am going through now. I wish I could see him everyday :wtc: Please feel free to share your stories and thoughts and anything that you want. Right now the Alice In Chains song, "Nutshell" pretty much sums up things:

We chase misprinted lies
    We face the path of time
    And yet I fight
    And yet I fight
    This battle all alone
    No one to cry to
    No place to call home

My gift of self is raped
    My privacy is raked
    And yet I find
    And yet I find
    Repeating in my head
    If I can't be my own
    I'd feel better dead

Ryan

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

A theraphist can guide and help you, usually winning the war called life is up to you,but when things get though its nice to know you can ask others to help you on those parts which are difficult, i want to let you know that we are there for you. :hug: Basically what you can expect is something like you having to pick up a shovle and start digging the dirt away of your past, so that you eventually end up at the root of your problems. And its these diseased roots of depression that have to be cleared out in order for the tree to become healthy again. Various theraphist use varied ways of theraphy treatment, but that's the general idea. If you have a good one then it can definitly benefitial, id also like to hear from your ongoing progress into dealing with these ordeals. Hold on even tho its hard. :hug:

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

My only advice:
    *Be as honest and open as you can possibly be
    *If you don't cick with the therapist don't get frustrated, just find another one

4. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

Ryan, I am glad you're seeking this. Like we've spoke about in the past, you need it. It's good for you. I know you miss Meg, but honestly if she did this to you with absolutely no provocation and just lets it go at that, you don't want to be married to her. Nicole and I have spoken about your situation at lengths and she feels that a woman who would just give up after the vows that she promised were made, did not love you anyways.

I know that's hard for you to hear, but it's probably the truth. This one minor situation that occurred that made her leave, was probably just that thing she was looking for as her excuse to leave.

As for the therapy, like I said you will get out of it what you want to get out of it. I use my therapist like a friend who is totally unbiased about anything else in my life. I can tell him anything and he gives me feedback and helps me see things I otherwise would not see on my own. He is a sounding board for me. Someone who will not judge me and who will give me a level of understanding in certain situations that someday will make you say "holy fuck, why didn't I think of that?!?"

And as for your whole life in general, like I keep telling you it WILL get better. You can sit and pout about it and feel sorry for yourself all you want, but all you are doing is prolonging the inevitable. There is nothing wrong with being sad, don't get me wrong. But when people tell you it will get better and you'll look back on this in 5 years and realize that you're better off, they are right.

I am here for you man, anytime you need to talk. And you know that if you need to get away, we have a place for you to stay anytime you need.

Keep your chin up broly, it'll only get better from here.

5. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

:eek3: My God- I don't even know you guys and that made ME feel better. You're good dpixel. :hsd:

6. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Paulie- when you get in there, don't be afraid to just spill your guts. That's what you're there for. Lay it all out on the table.

Good luck, Ace! :wavey:

7. BCKane

BCKane KPS 99

I've never been in therapy (only the semi annual stress assessment with doctor for work deal), but i was with a girl who had a pretty bad break down. She couldn't get out of bed, feed herself, talk to anyone, take a bath, etc. I finally convinced her to see a doctor about it and he hooked her up with a great therapist.

Only reason i know anything about therapy is because i would take off work to walk her from the apartment to her therapist twice a week and then walk her back. Periodically the therapist asked me to come into a session to make sure i knew what was going on, make sure I didn't do anything that would harm the progress my girl had made and to give me a sense of progress too (i think at least).

Seemed that my girl made the most progress in the sessions when she wasn't afraid to be 100% truthful and just let everything spill out. Unfortunately it too about a month for her to feel comfortable enough to do this. But once their relationship was comfortable, she was able to unload all the problems (precieved or actual) that had brought her to that point. She needed to realize that nothing was too silly or ridiculous for her to tell her therapist about and all of it was a small piece that could help her help herself.

Any way, my 2 cents is to get a therapist that you feel comfortable with so you can really let everything out. If your holding back or embarrassed about things you think are silly the therapist can't address ALL of your needs and fears. Only other thing i wanted to add is that the therapist isn't going to "fix you". You are going to have to make those steps yourself, they are just there to guide you, support you and help you on your way. My girl is still going to therapy and it has been a few years, i'm not sure if anyone is ever cured or fixed. It seems that it is more of a process where you learn to live with, mitigate and recognize the things that hurt you before so that you don't end up in another downward spiral.

Any way good luck!

8. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

Thanks for the recognition, you didn't have to, but I'm glad I was able to help you. Keep doing what you are doing, you are walking down the correct path. Talk to me as you wish, you know if I'm at the PC I'll respond. You're going to get through this. Just keep going.

9. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

been through a lot of shit. it just makes you stronger and wiser.

Plus I was stoned when I wrote that :mamoru:

10. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

oh and I heard something the other day that made complete sense in your (and my previous) type of situation:

"everyone has their breaking point. she just reached hers"

11. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

How is therapy going?