What to eat after running?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ZACKMORRIS, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

I started running last week, been trying to keep it at minimum 3x a week. I run about 2 miles. By the time I get home I'm starving. What are some good foods to eat after running?

2. Pringles

Pringles New Member

rice or pasta aka carbs

3. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

Is there some sort of time frame in which I need to eat after? I haven't eaten anything yet, and I got home from running at 9:30.

4. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

are you running to lose weight or for cardiovascular/general fitness?

5. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Protein and carb blend. Protein is B0$$ and it actually helps your uptake of carbs. Scoop of protein w/a banana is a good combo. Gives you some potasium too. If you eat a shit ton of pasta it will just make you more tired. You don't need that many carbs. Just get ~20gs or so with some protein within 10-15 minutes of workout and then within an hour or so get a regular meal.

6. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

Trying to lose a little bit of weight.

7. Reign

Reign Banned

Are you running hard or doing light running?

Hard = HR would be around 150
    Light = HR would be around 120-130

I'd probably suggest as above... a 1 scoop protein shake with about 20g of carbs (1 scoop of powdered Gatorade). Though if you're running hard you might wanna up that a bit.

8. xela

xela So say we all!

When I used to run in the morning I'd have a protein shake afterwards. When I used to run in the evening I'd make dinner which was some type of meat and potatoes or rice, etc.

9. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

I'm running about as much as I can in the 2 miles. There's some walking involved but I try to maintain a pretty good pace. Toward the end of my run I get two decent sprints in. I've never been much of a long distance runner, even when I played soccer.

What do you recommend as far as protein shakes go?

10. Reign

Reign Banned

A lot of people here, including myself, like Optimum Nutrition (100% Whey). Some more like Muscle Milk, I switched to ON from MM. All The Whey seems pretty popular. I myself recommend ON, it tastes AWESOME in water and is low carb and has a good amount of protein per serving. Really though, you can't go wrong.

Muscle Milk does have quit a bit more fat, calories and carb content per serving over other brands though. This is why I switched.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/protein/muscle-milk-cytosport.htm

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/protein/100-whey-protein-review.htm

Nutritional info is half way down the pages.

11. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

Someone may be able to clear this up, but it was my impression that running burns blood sugar. When you run out of blood sugar you start to burn fat/muscle for energy. I think it takes around 20mins of running to burn through your blood sugar.

If you run for 20mins and then eat carbs straight away, you will simply replace the blood sugar you just burnt, resulting in no loss of fat. Of course, the whole Calories in < Calories out still comes in to play for fat loss.

However, my point is, as I understand it, for fat loss, it is better to wait for a period of time after the excersize before consuming carbs.

I may not be correct though.

12. Reign

Reign Banned

Are you lifting then doing cardio? Or cardio then lifting? Or are you even lifting? I was under the impression you were lifting.

If you're just doing cardio, yeah... don't eat anything after running because I'm pretty sure Whitey is correct.

13. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

I haven't started lifting yet. Only running at the moment. I'm planning on getting a membership to the gym within the next day or two and am going to work out Mon,Wed,Fri and 1 weekend day.

14. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

Do you run in the morning? I have a bowl of oats for breakfast 20min before I go run for about 50-60 minutes (though I am training for fitness not weight loss) and then don't eat until I feel hungry again which is normally about 2-3 hours later.

If you're "starving" when you get home, I think you are either confusing thirst for hunger, which I believe is very common, or you are craving the sugar you just burnt off running, which is bad, don't give in by replacing it!

During weight loss, weight gain or weight maintainence, there's no reason to ever be hungry. Fill up on leafy dark green veggies if you're trying to lose weight, you can't eat too much of those!

15. zedsded

zedsded I gotta be me, it's my life

Everything I've read says it takes around 60 minutes to burn through your body's stored sugars (carbs).

I agree with eating a good protein/carb mix. Protein to help the muscles rebuild and the carbs to replace what you burnt. It's only when you have an excess of carbs that the body them into fat.

16. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

Cool, yeah I don't know the figures or whatever, plus it probably depends on intensity?

17. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

I'm actually running around 9-930pm at night. It's usually quite a bit cooler then.

Well my water intake throughout the day is pretty good. I've actually cut out soda for the most part and have only been drinking water for the past couple of days. On the days I have to work, I usually polish off 3/4 of a gallon of water in 8 hours. I don't think its me being thirsty.

I don't know that I would say I'm only running for weight loss, I think by getting more fit, I'll lose some weight. I'm not trying to lose a lot of weight, just maybe 5-10 pounds. I'm 5'8" 175 at the moment, and I wouldn't mind slimming up in the midsection a little bit.

18. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

well that sounds like a healthy weight? I weigh about the same (after losing fat, 165lb) as you but I am 6'3" and cunts here teased me about being skinny haha.

Rather than focusing on food timing and shit like that, just track your food on a site like fitday.com or similar and make sure you're eating just a little bit less than you require. That way, any additional activity like running will result in weight loss.

19. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

It is a healthy weight. I don't look overweight, I just feel like I could stand to lose a couple of pounds. I'll check out that fitday thing. Do you have any hints/tips using it?

20. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

I always just drank water, I throw in 2scoops of Xtend in my camelback on longer runs 4+miles

21. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

I dont use fitday, I use calorieking.com (i actually use calorieking.com.au because I am an Aussie).

If they're similar (which I assume they are) you can just log your current weight, your goals etc and then the site will recommend you a daily calorie amount to achieve your goals.

Every time you eat something, log it on the site. In a very short period of time you will start to understand the macronutrient values of foods (fat/protein/carbs) and their calorie densities.

You should also be able to log your activity (jogging @ 4mph for 30mins) to give you an idea of how much energy it is burning off. Sites like these are really good tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.