What to do?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mint, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Mint

Mint Active Member

Well im in a weird spot making a decision.
    Basically I lowsided awhile back on some dirt in a canyon.
    Messed up my beautiful paint job on the 600rr.

I managed to repaint it myself (its alright, for being done at home) white again.

Im debating selling it... or keeping it, repainting it again professionally, and doing a big tune up.

It has 22k miles and needs a chain badly.

If I were to sell it, id get around 4500-4800 for it, and since i do a lot of communting been considering an 04 R1. (just for the extra grunt down low and i can be lazy with the gearing)

However I know I'm going to miss the way my 600rr handled, specially on the track. But the reality is 98% of my riding is commuting and canyon riding on weekends.

If I keep the bike, i'll want to
    1. Repaint it professionally. (500-700$)
    2. Get new frame sliders ($60)
    3. New Chain and sprockets (-1 +2) ($180)
    4. Get my valves done. (???)

If I get an R1, ill have to put another 1000-1500 on top of the proceeds from my bike + taxes. Insurance is only 100$ more a year so no biggie

Question is, with 22k miles on it is it worth doing all that work to it? If I did that, i'll keep it around another 2 years or so, and make it a track bike when it comes time to upgrade after college.

Thoughts? I don't wanna pickup another 600 because i dont like the look of other 600's that much, and picking up another 05-06 600rr would be kind of stupid.

2. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

well how good have you been on the upkeep of the bike changing fluids properly and have you been relentlessly beating the shit out of it?

3. Mint

Mint Active Member

I've taken damn good care of the Honda -- If i decide to keep it I know it'll be reliable... I'm not doubting that. Oil was changed regularly. Chain lubed every weekend (hence it lasting to 22k miles)

Its just even when the bike was completely prettied the way i liked it i still was thinking about selling it.

Someones coming tomorrow to take a look at it, and hes bringing his 07 636 with 4k miles (I -might- trade. Not really a fan of 636's though)

4. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

well if your thinkin about trading for a while you may just go ahead and do it before you start sinking money into it

5. Mint

Mint Active Member

I decided to go ahead and keep it for at least another year.
    Im getting my valves done right now, changed the sprockets and chains, flushing all the fluids, cleaning out the throttle bodies, and changing my front pads.

6. Toology

Toology New Member

i woulda voted on seeing what you could get selling it yourself via craigslist etc, and if it wasn't great, then doing the work and keepin it.

sounds like you have a machine you fit well with and love, so good choice in that regards, 22k miles really isn't a lot to be concerned with imo.