SRS What to do?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Creator, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

What to do? AKA The Nick Robinson Drug and Depression thread

This might be long so bare with me...

In high school i was a good kid, never smoke, drank or did anything. Then, you guessed it, i go to college and everything changes. I start drinking hard 3-4 nights a week, pot follows then the rest of them. Fast forward to today, well yesterday. I start my last year of college this monday and im begining to really worry about my drinking and drug abuse. On any given weekend (Thursday friday and saturday) ill drink around 100 drinks (shots, mixed drinks or beer). I used to smoke pot everyday but quit that without too much trouble last year. Alchoholism runs in my family. My moms been worried about it me for a long time and i finally acknowleged there may be a problem. Last night i decided i wouldnt drink any more. The last two times i got drunk something weird happened. I used to drink to just have fun and party hard. But the last times ive been depressed while drinking and then am depressed for the next few days. Thats something that never happened to me before. I also started getting bad cravings to drink. At that point i knew there was a problem. I also did too much coke over the summer... well i did it 5 times but when i did it i went insane, and would just blow line after line after line. Id leave the club to do a line and just never come back because id rather sit in the car or the hotel room and keep blowing lines. Everyone else who was doing it with me told me i was out of control. Doing coke definitly triggered something inside of me. I know i cant do it anymore.

I told my mom I would start going to AA meetings as well as a counsouler for abuse at school. I know i have a problem stopping once i start, at least before. Id try and not drink much then before i knew it someone has bought me 10 shots and who says no at that point. I dont think i am a full blown alchoholic yet but im well on my way. I know i cant continue the party lifestyle i had the last four years. But thats what everyone i know does - they party thursday through saturday and then if something comes up on the weekday (some event aka excuse to drink) then we do that too. I dont know how to have fun sober. Ive made some great friends at school but all we do is party. We throw huge parties at our house, we go to the bars where we know all the bartenders. I had the entire 'scene' figured out. What the hell am i supposed to do if im not drinking? Thats the problem im most scared of now, as i leave tomorrow for school. What else do you do at a bar besides drink? What else do you do on the weekends besides drink if all your friends are drinking? I know how drinking hard made me feel the enxt day, but staying inside in my room will depress me just as much. Yes, go find a new hobby. Thats fine during the day, but what about from 9-3am when im usually drunk? Go to sleep at 10 you say? No that wont work in a house full of drunk people being loud.

They say theres never a good time to quit, theres always an excuse to keep drinking. I have recgonized that i have a problem and am willing to start taking steps to fix it. Right now im trying to tell myself that i can go out 2 nights a week instead of 3-4 and limit myself to 3 beers. But theni figure whats the point in having 3 beers as you dont really get a buzz of that so its just empty calaories. I could go to the bar and drink water. Sometimes I can do that if im in the right mood. I can just go there and just be full of energy and not need to drink. But a lof of times i cant. I just dont know. Im pretty sure you guys are going to say i have to stop altogether. MAybe that is the best but god damnit this is my senior year, the year you are supposed to go wild. I really do not know how i can possibly stay sober all year. I dont want to make promises to myself that i wont be able to keep because that will only make things worse. Youll probably say find new friends but i dont want to make new friends , its my senior year. I want to spend it with the good friends i already have. Im worried that quiting will send me into a depression but drinking as much as i do will do the same. Im not sure why all of the sudden i got this way. I always planned on stopping after my senior year. I know i need to curb my drinking but i just dont know what to do.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

First of all, let me commend you for recognizing that you have a problem and honestly sharing about it. Let me also let you know that I quit drinking my senior year of college, and stayed sober throughout my 5th year of college as well. I will attempt to answer any questions you may have brought up in your story, as well as share some experience I had with similar issues. You may be able to relate considering we experienced drug/alcohol problems around the same age.

Is this an exaggeration? That means like 33 shots/beers each night. My 220 lb alcoholic friend has trouble consuming this much alcohol even on a rough night. Even if it is, it sounds like you're drinking quite a bit.
    Yes I had a similar experience after doing coke and drinking for a certain period of time. I remember many a nights just listening to CD's in my truck at 4AM doing lines and feeling wonderful. After a while, I didn't feel so wonderful anymore and I just couldn't stop.
    Did you go to any meetings? This is what really kickstarted my recovery, and ultimately made me feel better. I began attending meetings on a regular basis, you may find the same will be true for you if you give it a shot.
    It sounds like you've lost your ability to moderate, and you're having difficulty stopping. This was really as far as I needed to go when I decided it was no longer fun, and it was time to stop.
    This is exactly how I felt around the time I was ready to get sober. Today, I know how to have fun sober. It's taken some work, but it's definitely been worth it. I have sober friends, and we hang out almost every day. Sometimes, we do stay up rather late too.
    Well, what I did was I attended meetings until I got some perspective on my life. I attended meetings and learned about the AA program until I came out of the foggy haze that I was in, and decided what I really wanted to do with my life.
    I tried to go to house parties, and to the bar when I was first getting sober. It didn't work, I couldn't go and feel ok, I either felt like crap or I drank. The bar is somewhere that I stayed away from for more than a year until I felt comfortable with myself. Now I don't find myself there very often, only on rare occasion when I go to listen to some live music or I have another good reason to be there.
    Taking up hobbies is not something that happens overnight. It takes a little while to develop different aspects of your life besides drinking after you get sober. However, finding sober people to hang with and seeing what they are into can be a good avenue into exploring other activities. If I was in your position, I'd get out of that house full of drunk people ASAP, and live by myself or with 1 other friend I trusted (who didn't really drink that much.) I wouldn't live with a house full of drunk people now, I need my sleep. I usually go to bed around 12-1 nowdays, maybe a little earlier, but it's much easier now that I don't live with a bunch of party animals.

If by they, you are referring to your friends, I think it may not be a bad idea to tell them how drinking makes you feel and why you want to quit (if you want to quit). If they still don't understand and tell you shouldn't stop drinking, I'd have to say they probably aren't very good friends. If they understand, and tell you that you gotta do what you gotta do, which I predict many of them might, then they are probably pretty good friends.
    This is my attitude exactly, what the hell is the point in having just 3 beers. I can't moderate, so I don't even try. It's all or nothing for me, there is no middle ground.
    Going to the bar and drinking water is torturous if you have a few weeks or less sober. I went to my own birthday party at a restaurant, and drank water while my friends had margaritas with 3 weeks sober, I was MISERABLE. I don't put myself in those kinds of situations anymore, most of the time I stay a ways away from the bar.
    I'm not going to say that you have to stop. I am going to tell you that stopping alltogether was the only thing that worked for me, that and attending AA meetings. I lost my ability to moderate, which appears to me may have happened to you also from what you said. I putzed it around for a few miserable months thinking I could only have a few, and it really wasn't very fun at all.[QUOTE = Nick Robinson]I really do not know how i can possibly stay sober all year. I dont want to make promises to myself that i wont be able to keep because that will only make things worse. [/QUOTE]Making promises to yourself isn't the thing to do, just try to stay sober for today.
    I didn't kick my friends to the curb. However, I stopped hanging out with them when they drank. We still did a few things together, but I just found eventually we grew apart. However, I still see them, I actually saw a movie yesterday with several of my old friends. However, when they went to the bar, I separated and I went to a meeting.
    By the time I quit, I was happy to be rid of it. I was depressed for a few weeks about losing my old friend alcohol. However, I attended AA meetings almost daily for many months. What I found was that I began to grow, and I met a few new friends. It didn't happen overnight, but a year and a half later I have many sober friends. I enjoy my life much more than I ever did before. I found that there was actually a decent size group of young people that attended AA, many quite a lot younger than me. I know a girl who's 23 and has 7 years sober! AA worked for me, maybe it'll work for you, give it a shot!

Feel free to IM me or email me I am more than willing to answer any more questions you may have.

AIM: animalholie
    email: [email protected]

3. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Ok, I follow you up to here. Sounds like the typical story of requiring it to hit a bottom before you decide to make a change.
    Yeap, even though pot may have been easy to quit, generally we have problems with multiple substances. I had not much of a problem quitting drinking, for example... I never liked it much anyways. I'm sure if I allowed myself to drink I'd become a full blown active alcoholic but my drugs of choice were coke & pot.
    They say the definition of an alcoholic is an individual who can't control their drinking - simply put, one who upon taking a drink, must consume more. Its not someone who drinks x amount for x many days... its just the inability to moderate.

This fear of not knowing what to do with your life is common. How does the rest of the world manage? There is a way :)

This may sound harsh, but there are other places to be than bars and hanging around your friends who drink.

The answer isn't to hang out in your room and isolate either...

I think its always a good time to quit... and yes, I will be one of those people that will suggest stopping altogether. At least give it an honest effort and get some help, try some AA meetings and such. If you attempt it on your own w/o meetings you may realize how futile your efforts are, affirming in your mind whether or not you're an alcoholic. If you attempt quitting and get support groups, AA meetings, new friends, and a new way of life, you may realize like the rest of us that we were missing out on so much life while we were "gone".

In retrospect, I wish I hadn't squandered my FRESHMAN year by just doing drugs and drinking. It sounds fundamentally like you're afraid of nothing but change. Fear of the unknown and stepping outside the comfort zone is a big thing for you. Don't worry, most of us can relate. I think if you're willing to try something new and experience a new way of life, you too can have it. All the stories in here for people who have just quit and made the changes in their life are positive. You don't hear from people who have 3 or 4 years sober who are like "boy i sure do miss drinking." To borrow a quote from the fellowship of AA, we will gladly refund your misery if you don't like it.

In short? It sounds like you know what you need to do, but you're not necessarily willing just yet. Maybe you are. I really hope you understand that total abstinence brings peace of mind, joy, happiness, security, and contentment for all who are willing. Life can get better and it will. Don't be afraid that without drinking you will have a meaningless life because the truth couldn't be further from this lie. Keep us posted.

4. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

i can relate, I really think i could have controlled my drinking and kept my life together for at least a few more years if i hadn't started doing tons of coke on top of it. Prior to my coke days i was always a pretty heavy drinker, but i could definitely moderate, i tasted wines at work and stuff, not a big deal. I used hallucinogens in high school, smoked pot for years then quit cuz it started giving me panic attacks, i did opiates, speed all sorts of shit and always kind of recovered. But coke felt like it advanced my alcoholism by like 20 years like in the course of about 9 or 10 months. It definintely is some evil shit. There is a lot of negative energy attached to it too. Whether it be the people who do it, sell it or the situations in the countries where it comes from, the things our gov't has done in those countries... etc etc. I thought I would make a political stand amongst my fellow partiers and boycott cocaine after watching a documentary about brazil and another about george h bush. THat lasted about 4 weeks, then a week later, i smoked crack!
    It'w weird but in a way now, that i have been sober for a little while (this time) i am almost glad that i got into that rotten stuff because i may not have goten sober if it weren't for doing that, i may just be drunk. My life is already improving by leaps and bounds...
    Don't worry about what you are gonna do besides hanging out in bars. I was sober while bartending for 8 months at one point and it helped me to stay sober, after some time passed i wanted nothing to do with that scene and decided i would follow the buddhist principle of "right livelihood" and not do anything for a living that involved selling intoxicants to people or profitted from violence, and I quit the restaurant business after about 15 years (and i am only 25).
    I think you should try now to start working on total abstinence, I tried moderation management and stuff like that, but after a while i realized that I want to be happy and substance will never make me happy, they never make anyone happy and I don't want to be dependent on them anymore. You will be depressed too, the hardest thing for me was that I felt worse and worse for months the first time i tried to get sober. I was less functional than when i was on coke and booze actually, I eventually relapsed and i believe it is because, while it is true that i am an addict, i also have depression and i needed to address that also. IF you don't start to feel better after some time sober, than look into treating your depression with talk therapy or meds. I did and now i feel like i can handle my sobriety and life a lot better. sorry for rambling guys, i am a little tired..

peace, and good luck man and props to you for recognizing you have a problem, especially in the midst of the whole college partying jetset and props to you for reaching out on this board.

5. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

definitely. let us know whats new / whats happening.

6. Creator

Whats up guys. Thanks for all the kind words. I got back to school on friday and had to tell everyone that i wasnt drinking or doing anything any more. I got a lot shit for it. Went out both nights everyone got fucking trashed, i had a red bull and actually had a really good time. I think for the most part that was due to the fact that i hadnt seen these people for months and it was justnice to see them. Friday night we had a party at my house sat night we all went to the bars. While everyone else pre gamed i went to the gym, got back layed around for a bit then went to the bar. Was there for two hours, sipped on a red bull all night and a decent time. I can see how its going to get real old real fast.

One weird thing is everyone wants to know why i quit. They just cant belive i did it just because they think something huge must have happened to prompt this choice, else i should be doing what they are (Drink this year then quit, although i dont think they will). I just say i dont want to talk about it and let them think what they want since they wont belive the truth anyway (Drinking started to depress me, want to clean up my life). So whatever. I got up at 930am on a sunday morning for the first time in years, went for a run and felt great. As of now i dont have any desire to drink. I can have a decent time sober and wake up the next day and have the entire day to do what i want instead of always planning aroundbeing hung over and unable to move. Thats nice. I probbaly will only go out once a week unless there is something interesting and ill stick to my red bull. The bartender is my buddy and is actually supporting me so i dont have to buy the red bull. so ive gone from 20-40 a night to 2 for cover which i usually dont pay anyway.

Illl keep you guys updated on my progress. Ill probbaly still go to AA once a week but i dont think i need to have a personal counsler, unless things get bad for whatever reason. I think going to AA will be good to keep me going strong on this path.

7. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Good for you, it sounds like you are doing pretty well. I can relate to what you are saying about seeing old friends, that's usually one time I find myself in a situation where people are drinking for a few hours. However, after a few hours, it gets old. If I did it once a week, it would get old, it usually only happens once a month or less.

It may be a good idea to just let people think what they want, especially if they may have a drinking problem themselves. I usually tell people who ask why I quit, and oftentimes I end up getting into arguments with the 'might be alcoholic' drunk people. Everyone else who most likely doesn't have a problem is usually supportive and understands why it was time for me to stop. Anyone who knows most of my track record is usually supportive as well.

Keep us updated on your progress. I found very quickly that attending AA once a week was not enough, I had to attend at least 4-7 times a week if not more, to learn about the program. Not only that I had a good friend in recovery who I talked with on a near daily basis who also taught me a lot about the program. I didn't realize what huge changes were going to take place in my life after getting sober. Removing alcohol was and is not the only work to be done, I had to and still have to work on myself a lot too, and the meetings and steps of AA have helped and continue to help a great deal with that. However, the most important thing is still to stay sober today.

8. Creator

Thanks a lot...And its exactly those in denial achoholic 'friends' who are giving the me the hard time and trying to argue with me about why i have stopped doing it, trying to convince me to come back to their side. I dont give them shit for drinking so its annoying that they give me shit for not. Ugg. I am going to go find my local AA chapter now

9. gnat

gnat New Member

misery loves company :(

10. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Cool, keep us updated on your progress.

11. Creator

Ug. Things arent good guys. Ive never been so low in my entire life. I've always been a really happy kid, always a smile on my face. Im down. Im so far down and all i want to do is go deeper. I have stayed true to what i promised myself, i ahvent had a drink or do any drugs. For that i am happy. but fuck. thats what is fun during college. 5 nights a week my 3 room mates and my 8 great friends who live next door go out and get shit faced. I stay in my room by myself. I tried going to the bar. it was depressing and annoying. I feel like i have been left with nothing, surrounded by people who dont understand or care.

During summer i met a girl and kind of quickly feel in love with her. We have been trying to make it work. This is only brining me down more. She still drinks (a lot) and does drugs (coke and pot). When i first met her i thought she was a 'good girl' based on how i was at the time. Now it seems like she has just as much of a problem as i did (20 beers for her saturday. Thats insane for a fucking girl) She doesnt understand where i am coming from at all. She says she supports me, but she doenst. You can say all you want, but her actions reveal more than what she says.

To make it worse i am really depressed and she doesnt ackholwege that. I try to bring her down. I try to make her feel like shit, to make her feel as bad as i feel, i try to put off some of my pain on her. she has some sort of part in this but i flip out. Its like i blakc out and this shit just comes out of my mouth. The next morning im not sure what i said. Im used to the excuse of being drunk for everything. Thats how i would have normally passed that off. Now thats gone.

Im so lost, so confused and so lonley.

Im going to start AA on monday and counsouling soon. I picked up yoga and tai chi which starts next week.

12. Creator

I know. I dont know why i do it. at the time i dont realize im doing it. something inside of me takes over. my brain and heart shut down. its something that has never happened to me before.

13. Creator

well we are done. another wall collopsing ontop of me.

14. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

15. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

How long have you stayed sober? I have to say man, it is tough in the beginning, but it was much easier for me because I knew I couldn't stay sober if I did what you did. So I did different things, I went to AA meetings just about daily. I didn't hang out with my old friends at the bars (well I tried but I gave up after about 3 outings), and I had someone in recovery I could talk with when things got rough.

If you start attending meetings on a daily basis, I can almost guarantee you things will get better, fast too. I also stayed away from any relationships, I knew it was something I couldn't handle in early sobriety, I didn't mess around with that until I had about 7 months, and around meetings people sometimes suggest waiting a year. I would have to suggest you start attending meetings TODAY if you are really in that much pain. In most areas, there is an AA meeting every day.

You also have people you can talk with on a more personal basis if you wish, use the addict/alcoholic contact list. You can also email me at [email protected] or continue to post here.

16. Creator

God damnit i want to drink right now. i was just hanging out with my friends while they watched the game, pre gaemd and smoked pot and i really wanted to get fucked up. I was breathing deeply to inhale the pot smoke.

I want to go out and have fun though. i want to go to the bars and hit on girls and shit. All my friends think im stupid for going to AA and say it will make things worse for me. I am going to start AA on monday. They only have it once a week on my campus.

17. Creator

Part of the reason i really want to drink now is because i want to show my x that i can still go out and have fun. I tried to get her support and she wouldnt give it to me. I gave her too much, revelaed myself too much of her, now i want to do the opposite.

No relationship for a year? How can you put a time constraint on that? When it happens it happens you know? Im so used to going out and hitting on girls, doing the random hookup thing and shit. I enjoyed that. I enjoyed this lifestyle. I dont want to go to AA meetings on the weekends. thats so far from fun its not even funny. I am getting back in the mindset where i can go out once a week and drink and do that thing. Its my fucking senior year. Even the non drinkers and light partiers are going balls out

18. Creator

Oh, today is my third week of being completly sober on purpose. 5 weeks total (but 3 weeks since i decided to stop drinking/doing drugs)

19. Creator

Just got back from a run and going ot the gym which really cleared my head. I came to two conclusions while runing

1) I take things to the extreame. For the last three years all of my energy was focues on drinking and partying. Yes, that is fun. But it raped me of most of my ambition. I have really big plans for myself and I pretty much put them on hold in order to drink. I surrounded myself with alchoholics (Every single one of my 'friends' has an imeadite family member who is an alchoholic. I thought everyone was like that, maybe not. We broughte each other down. They are trying to bring me down again with them... i geuss that was an entirly seperate point) Regardless, I now know i can refocus all this energy. I am putting that into staying in shape (im in good shape, but i want to be in awsome shape) and more importantly on my film career. I WILL have a finished script by decemeber. I WILL have a pitch meeting before i gradute.

2) I think i decided i was an achoholic because of my x. Its complicated but after i left california for the summer where she lives and knew i wouldnt see her for a long time i wanted to find a way to make her stay. This was not consious at all, but i gave myself a problem. The easist was being an alhoholic (why cant i spell that?) because as it turns out i am one. But i never would have come to that conclusion this early without her. Now the reason for it, to keep her close while i was away, totally back fired. (I wont go into long details, but we never were fully together because we didnt want to deal with the distance and we still talk and shit and ill see her in a few weeks, bla bla bla) Anyway i think its weird what i did. Its weird i never would have come to the conclsuon that i had this problem without making it up in the first place. She totally called me out on it too. I told her i thought i had a problem and she thought i was saying it to make her not go out and party and drink while we were apart (Which was definilty true, i was for sure trying to do that) SHe called me out on it, so i had to up the stakes even more and make it into an even bigger problem. I honestly think i caught this problem before it got way way out of hand (Part of that is my denial and desire to return to the lifestyle i think)

I dunno, anyone here know where I am coming from? It really really helps hearing from you guys, and having someone on myside when just about everyone else things im insane (The only people who support me are my family and my xgf from high school,oddly enough, she said she saw the problem a long time ago) As i think i said, my parents have been begging me to fix my drinking for three years and i always ignored them. The fact that i decided i had a problem a few weeks after leaving cali and my 'girl' has to be connected and im pretty sure that is the case. Does that mean anything?

20. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Drive away from your campus in the surrounding areas, I'm sure there are other meetings rather close by, AA is huge. If you don't have a car, take the bus. Once a week is not going to cut it from what you've already told us.

21. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

This is the reason that relationships are not a good idea in early sobriety, they affect your entire life, and tweak your perspective on things. You really need to worry about yourself, and staying sober, rather than retaliating against your ex and by hurting yourself.
    Keep in mind, this is simply a suggestion of SOME people who attend the meetings. This is not written in our literature anywhere. I felt I had to get my sobriety under control before I felt comfortable enough for a relationship. I still hit on girls, but a relationship happened to roll around when I had about 6 months, and I felt confident enough in my sobriety at that point to pursue it. Relationships are the number one thing that people end up getting loaded over, you are free to do as you wish though, there is no rule.
    You enjoyed that lifestyle, but do you still enjoy it? It seems as though you were pretty miserable before you got sober. I did the random hook up thing, hit on girls in bars, and did drugs and hooked up and it was so much fun. The thing is, it no longer became fun when my addiction really took control. I was miserable, and I knew if I went back to drinking, I would jump right back into misery. It is my opinion that alcoholics/addicts only have a limited amount of 'good times' getting loaded, and after they are all used up, they are pretty much gone forever.
    If all I did was go to meetings on the weekends, I think I'd be pretty bored too. The weekend does consist of 48 hours, and I will do many other things besides go to meetings during that time.
    Well you can do that if you want, but my story sounds similar to yours and I can share my experience with you. I tried this and I lasted a few weeks, just drinking on the weekends and not doing any drugs. After a week I was drinking almost daily and after a few weeks I relapsed onto the drugs and it screwed up my entire academic quarter and I was more miserable than I had been in my life. It took another month and a half to kick the drug habit and finally get clean.

22. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

How do you stay sober not on purpose? Were you in jail for a couple of weeks? However, good job on the 3 weeks and start going to meetings soon!

23. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Yes, most addicts/alcoholics definitely take things to the extreme, myself included. Eventually I had to pay a price for that, and my grades and academic interest greatly suffered as a result. Just because everyone you know drinks a lot, does drugs and exhibits alcoholic tendencies, does not mean the rest of the world (or even college students) are anything like that. I found that out when I got sober my third year in college and met many people who don't drink like I do (and I go to UCSB which was ranked about the 2nd party college in the nation or something).
    Sometimes relationships act as a mirror and reflect our problems so that we can see them. Other people almost always recognize that you may have drug/alcohol problems before you do, but many times will not tell you because until it becomes a larger problem. We are usually the last ones to accept that we have a problem. It is true, you probably did catch this problem before you went to jail (or have you arleady been), or sat at home miserable drinking all day, or died or went permanently insane. It sucks, but if you have the disease of alcoholism/addiction, it only gets worse. Even if you stop for a period of time, and start up again, you'll usually start right where you left off, in my case, completely miserable.
    Yes, well if you're surrounded by alcoholic and potential alcoholics, it's likely that you aren't crazy, only your surroundings are. It's not suprising that the people who seem to really care about you are willing to support you in sobriety. I'm not really sure what you're saying about your girl, but from your story I'd have to say you sure seem like an alcoholic to me, but that's for you to decide.

Tell me what city you live in, and I'll find some meetings close by in the surrounding area. AA meetings are full of a bunch of people who will probably also won't think your crazy, and they'll understand where your coming from, just like other people in this forum and I do. Good luck, and you're still welcome to email or IM me as well.

24. Creator

Thanks for all the support you have given me eligh. Its touching that someone ive never met can understand the situation so well.

Never been to jail, never had any major problems due to drugs/booze. but thats luck i think, and i think i caught it just in time before the major problems. What i ment by 3 weeks on purpose being sober is when im home for summer i dont drink as much because there just isnt much opportunity to do so. But i was planning on and looking foward to drinking when i got back to school. Theni realized i needed to stop because i had a problem. So its been three weeks since i raelized and decided i had to stop

25. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

No problem at all, recovering alcoholics usually understand other alcoholics because we've been there before. Believe it or not, it helps me out too.

Yeah, I've been in the drunk tank for 1 night, and I failed out of the school of engineering, and I wasn't able to get a girlfriend. But then again I always had a place to eat, sleep and I never got physically injured (well too bad anway), I guess it just depends on what you define as a "major problem."
    Yes, sometimes people define their clean/sober dates different for various reasons (i.e. got out of jail on a certain date, finally had the desire to quit and did it, etc...). That's your choice and it's up to you, just try to keep in mind which day it was so you know how long you've been sober. Hit some meetings ASAP and you'll be able to grab a 30-day chip provided you keep staying sober for today. Good luck.