GUN What to do with my Mauser?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copperhead035, Sep 17, 2006.

1. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    I'm trying to figure out what to do with my Mauser. It's a Yugo M48 so it doesn't have the same historical value as, say, a K98 so it really wouldn't bother me to modify it.

As it sits, there is something wrong with it. Pulling the trigger doesn't always release the bolt. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the trigger itself or something in the bolt mechanism. If I jerk the trigger, it seems to be more likely to go off. It kinda feels like the trigger just isn't moving far enough, but I'm really not sure. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Now then, I have two routes to go with this gun. I can either rechamber it or restore it and hang it on the wall. The problems with the gun, other than with firing, are that the bore isn't the best, and I need to finish getting the cosmo out of the wood and refinish it. It's a little beat up, but overall not too bad.

If I were to rechamber it, what would be the most logical caliber to go with? I don't like 8mm because it's not the easiest to find, all the milsurp stuff is corrosive, and factory ammo is hard to come by and expensive. Midway has barrel and stock combos for 30-06, .308, and I think a couple others like 22-250 which I would have no use for. I wouldn't mind being able to hunt with it, but it would mostly be for plinking. It's got the turn down bolt so clearing a scope wouldn't be a problem.

I dunno, I guess I'm just looking for some input. I would still like to have a nice Mauser to put on the wall, but I would rather it be the real deal. If I can't get this thing to fire reliably, what would you guys suggest?