MIL What to do with junior troops who just don't get it...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sharkticon, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

I honestly do not know how or why he was authorized to work in this job field/MOS/rating. He has absolutely ZERO office skills; no telephone skills, no computer skills. Helen Keller could type faster than him. He can't even take a phone message right. The Chaplain of the Marine Corps called, Admiral Burt, and my co-worker answered the phone. Thirty seconds later, he hands me the phone. The Admiral says, "You really need to work on his phone skills." [​IMG]

I asked him to replace all of the toner cartridges in the laser printer. Well, he did but with old, empty cartridges. Then I asked him again. He swapped in even older cartridges. I mean, there's a little display screen on the printer that reads CARTRIDGES EMPTY! What more do you need?

As a SNCO, I've tried to train this guy but nothing seems to work. I've given him typing tutors, MS Office tutorials, and even gone as far as to stand at his shoulder while typing up something as simple as a routing sheet. I can't even leave my office for a day.

The final straw came last week. I spent an hour on a task listing, giving him EVERY DETAIL POSSIBLE. The who, what, when, where, why and how regarding everything I needed him to do while I was TAD to Korea. He couldn't do it. My supervisor (E8) had to step in and finish the task list. How freaking embarrassing.

I honestly do know what else to do. I can't help someone that can't be helped. How do you help someone that can't even find the SEND button in MS Outlook to send out emails?

2. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

make him fill sandbags :dunno:

can't you FAP him out somewhere?

3. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

make him do bitch work and you pick up the slack.... add on 1 small task at a time until he finally gets it over time :dunno:

4. Kazzander

Kazzander I only got this for the search.

Dog tag push-ups. A week or so of these will provide him with the proper motivation to learn, and to learn quickly.

Be sure you have him sign a class attendance roster, just in case someone tries to say it was hazing. Hip-pocket classes FTW.

5. CappyStyles

CappyStyles New Member

lol @ reply above.

6. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

what's a dog tag pushup? :hsugh:

7. Kazzander

Kazzander I only got this for the search.

I suppose I should make a nice, pretty EDU:, but since I'm at work this will have to do:

First, the student's dog tags should be properly assembled; that is, one tag on the big chain and the second tag on the small chain, which is hanging off the big chain. If you have chains of appropriate length, there should be a small gap between the tags as they hang.

The tags hang around the neck completely outside the uniform. The starting position for a dog tag push up is essentially the same for a standard push up, except that instead of having the arms completely locked out in the up position, they are bent so as to allow the bottom tag to touch the ground, but remain vertical.

When the student begins the exercise, the student lowers the body until the bottom tag has laid flat on the ground. The student then raises the body so that the bottom tag stands upright again.

If the top tag touches the ground, that repetition doesn't count. If the bottom tag leaves the ground, that repetition doesn't count. Repeat until the instructor is tired.

8. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

i can make an entire thread detailing my experiences with NCOs and SNCOs who can't do the simplest task either.

9. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

THE ANSWER:

Send him for a psych. eval. They will find that your guy has some sort of a learning disability and he will get chaptered, that simple.

Although he is working in an office and not directly putting someones life in danger, there might arise a situation where he will have to make an important decision and fuck it up, potentially killing or hurting someone.

I SERIOUSLY suggest you send him for that eval. They will pick up his incompetence in a hurry, diagnose him, and take action accordingly.

Do not feel guilty, as we are in the military, and mistakes cost more than $$...

10. pakman

pakman New Member

Does he at least seem like he's trying? There are guys who are just plain dumb but at least try... then you have the average intelligence ones that don't put in any ounce of effort.

11. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

It was for the best, GiRaff3.

12. Sharkticon

Trust me I wouldn't feel guilty. This guy shouldn't even be at this command nor on the island. First, the detailer (job assignments) should not have given him orders to Hawaii being an E4 with 3 dependents because along with his poor office skills, he's now financially strapped. Secondly, he should have never been allowed to test for this rate. He doesn't even possess the basic admin skills to take a proper telephone message.

In his defense, he is mechanically inclined. If it needs to be fixed, repaired or modified, he can do it. I don't know why he chose an administrative role. And also, he is from Nigeria. He speaks good (Kings) english but not in a way most people would understand him. Not his fault but working in a staff environment with upper echelon types calling and paying visits, he needs to be 100% understood when he communicates.

What I will end up doing it send him to KBAY to do some grunt work with the Marines. I got to get some super moto type in my office that has the can-do attitude to run the office in my absence.

Thank you for your suggestions.

13. Sharkticon

He tries but he gives up or says he doesn't understand.

14. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

military is all he has. outside, he'll be dead. make him paint walls then.

15. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

i dont want him next to me or anyone else in combat, fuck him. he can paint walls on the outside. let him put your ass on the line one time, i am sure you will change your tune.

16. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

how did he make it to e4 like that...what job did he have before?

17. Sharkticon

He was undesignated (non-rate), went to Engineer's Aid school and dropped out do to his lack of computer knowledge. He was authorized to take the RP (chaplains assistant) exam and he advanced.

18. kidhero

he's a navy desk jockey. as much as we all like to pretend we're not pogues, the military still needs plenty of desk jockeys to make sure everything functions. make him paint walls, keep an eye on him, and if shit gets heavy and there's a deployment, then kick him out with a psych eval. if i was in the same unit with a position to make it so, that's what i will do. just sending him straight out right now isn't going to help him much.

19. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

a crappy SM is taking up a slot that another capable SM could be filling. yes, he will do fine at raking leaves and painting walls, but there is only so much of that crap to go around.

something to keep in mind also: people like that need a supervisor on them at all times, which is really a waste. the military is built around disseminating orders to be executed by the lower ranks; fire and forget.

a guy like that is a waste of tax payers dollars. if he needs to be told what to do all the time, and cant even execute menial tasks on his own, then essentially he is good for almost nothing.

20. kidhero

might as well euthanize him then

21. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

:rofl:

i dont want the guy dead or anything, just not working in the military. he could be contracted to work in a mail room or something, just get him out of uniform. it is amazing how low the standards have dropped because of GWoT. it is difficult to separate people who do not need to be in, and easier to recruit people who reallu should not be in, in the first place...

:wtc:

22. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

time for a pt session from hell right after normal pt. oh and if their are any grunts around invite them to watch.

23. kidhero

maybe it's cause i'm a reserve and i'm not fully infected, but i still think if possible it would be good to help him out, if there's no danger or extraordinary need to fuck them over.

i had a rackmate in boot that was a country bumpkin that would piss and crap himself all the time. all the other recruits fucked with him and wouldn't get near him but i tried to help him out because conversely, if i was a fucktard i would at least want to count on extended military family.

24. AltimaNX

AltimaNX New Member

nonreq his ass

25. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

printers will mislead you.

Hp printers have a chip that will provide a message that it is the wrong cartridge if the toner is not OEM. The toner may Full and compatible, but the message has to be reset in service mode if the cartridge is not OEM.

Hp got sued by the recharger accos. several years ago for shutting printers down for compatible cartridges. This was their answer, They have a message on the display to mislead end users.

What model printer, I may be able to tell you how to get rid of it.