What to do with an old PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jonny Chimpo, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

It's not so old that I could throw it out, and it still has good specs, but I switched to a Mac. So what do I do with this thing? It's a 2.6GHz P4 HT with 768Mb RAM and 2x50Gb HD's + all the other normal goodies.

Donate? Ebay? Something else???

2. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

hmm, didn't this post pop up somewhere else? regular OT?

you have a couple options. you can donate it (i'd take it off your hands) ebay might get you a few bucks.

you could stack it with harddrives and use it as a file storage server. you could utilize it's processing to perform various tasks (things like the SETI project, finding the next digit of pi, things of that sort).

3. Jonny Chimpo

It might have been a similar post in regular OT, but it wasn't me. I don't want to use it as a file server or anything, it's just taking up space and electricity. Besides my Mac has half a terrabyte on it already.

Donate I'm thinking School or Church or something so I can get the tax writeoff, although I'd like to get some cash out of it. :-/ Maybe I'll see if anyone at work wants to buy it.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

I used to donate to my kids' school and strip and sell on ebay and then I noticed something........ I have some friends who are pretty down on their luck and could use a hand (divorces can do that).

So I gave one to a friend who didn't have a PC. Now his kids do homework on it, my friend has email, and he didn't need to spend $500 he didn't have.

So, if I was you I'd keep it until a friend mentions something about a computer. Then show up one day and hand it over (remove all personal stuff, obviously). The thanks you get is pretty cool.

5. Coddle

Coddle New Member

What socket? AGP?

PM me and we might be able to work something out :)

6. Jonny Chimpo

I honestly don't know anyone that doesn't have at least two computers though. :o

7. 7960

7960 New Member

Good. I have a few friends who are at that "been married 10 years, have 2 kids who are 8 and 5, sick of the marriage so getting divorced" place in life and it sucks.

8. Jonny Chimpo

PM sent...

9. badguy106

badguy106 Location:Tn

I too have helped out a freind with a free pc, and the thanks is indeed pretty cool.

10. RiSk

RiSk New Member

Umm... Put a wireless card in it, then load Unbuntu or RHEL and run an Samaba / File Server off it or make it a DVR / PVR by putting a Video cap card in it and now you have a DVR with no DRM. Err thats what i did with my old PC. Very similar specs 2.53 1GB of ram and 2TB of storage now

11. Jonny Chimpo

It has a wireless card in it. The problem is that I just don't want a PC anymore. I'm in the middle of a full switch to Macs. :o

12. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i usually keep a couple of older pcs with fresh imaged drives in them. when someones pc goes down and they need it repaired, i swap them one of the older pcs

13. klhartwigs321

klhartwigs321 New Member

you could donate it to me. the only computer i have is 9 years old and runs windows 98, amd k6, and 64mb ram. i would reimburse you for shipping. pm me if interested.

14. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

my bro has been out of a computer for a few years as his last one went to shit... some unknown hardware problem

he'd be more than happy for it... if interested in this pitty case PM me :wtc: