What to do when DSL connection is bad?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by switch81, Mar 17, 2007.

1. switch81

switch81 New Member

My dsl connection's been down for the last days, anyone having problems with sbc/att dsl in the LA area in California?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Simplest thing to do is call your provider.

If it's them, they'll fix it.
    If it's on your end, maybe it's the modem which they will also fix.

3. switch81

switch81 New Member

Is it common to have outages for more than a day?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it happens with any isp from time to time. You only give them like $25 a month... So they don't invest too much in redundancy, and they arn't uber-excited to jump to repairing/replacing things. Once you work with a SBS+ solution with a SLA you will see true efficiency when it comes to fixing things.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

service-level-agreement

7. deusexaethera

Ah. Damnable acronyms.

8. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

Switch to cable?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

cable is so shitty, tho. I only recommend cable if you're too far away from the CO to get a decent speed DSL.

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Nice generalization there. Around here, cable is faster and generally more reliable than DSL since all the phone lines are older than dirt.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, around here I get 6.5Mbps steady on my 7Mbps DSL line, and people with "10Mbps" cable are lucky to get 4Mbps. Cable == shared == bad.

12. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

:rofl: You sound like those stupid DSL ads bashing cable over the red herring of shared access. Every network is shared access.

What you really get all depends on the operator. I have 5Mbit cable and get.....5Mbit all day, all night. I've seen their 10Mbit cable a few times and it tests out around 9.5. I haven't even seen 6.5Mbit DSL around here. 3Mbit is about the best I've seen. Most of the shit they sell is like 768k-1.5M.

13. switch81

switch81 New Member

well, it's like the 3rd day without dsl now, i'm just piggybacking on a neighbor's wifi.

Guess i'll have to get my roommate to make a call the company when he gets back from travel since it's under his name. Living without internet is teh suck!

14. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Have you done the easy stuff like rebooted the router and/or modem? What lights are on the DSL modem?

15. switch81

switch81 New Member

I've tried all that, there are 3 leds on the modem...

One of them says "Broadband Link" and is solid red, meaning it can't get a connection from the phone line. I've tried rebooting probably 30 times now and it's always the same, solid red light.

16. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah it sounds like its not syncing. Have you tried unplugging all other phones from the other jacks throughout the house? Also, try moving the modem to another jack.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Not rly. The internet itself is one big shared network... But it's network links have lots of bandwidth. Cable tries to share 30-45Mbps between dozens of users, and the end result is lots of people paying a company that gets lots of profits, and the users get fucked up the ass. And when they don't get what they pay for, the cable company just says "no guarantee, shared network, tough luck". DSL, on the other hand, is dedicated bandwidth from the home to the DSLAM. From the DSLAM it's all gigabit. getting a dedicated 7Mbps off of the DSLAM is a lot better than sharing bandwidth with all your neighbors.

But it sounds like you got stuck with an LD bill you didn't like, so now you hate the telco and love paying for your ANALOG "faux-digital" cable and your shared cable inet. :mamoru: Hey, whatever floats your boat.

18. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

huh? No, I like getting reliable 5Mbit instead of the unreliable 1.5Mbit the telco would be selling me. Shared = red herring unless it actually impacts my speed which it doesn't.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If 1.5Mbps is the best they offer, it sounds like your telco is using rediculously old equipment. I'll take ADSL2 over DOCSIS2, anyday.

20. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

3Mbit it the best I've seen in this general area but I doubt I could get that (or at least keep it stable) given my distance from the switch and the generally fucked up wiring. I know lots of people with cable and lots with DSL. Guess which ones complain about outages more often? DSL is a hack. That's one reason Verizon is spending billions to pull fiber to the house around here.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't think paying $38 a month for a reliable 6.5Mbps is a hack when people are paying $69 a month for 4Mbps on cable. No thanks.

22. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Well good for you. If you can find that deal where I live, I'd like to see in.

I pay $40/mo for 5.9Mbit. (I just remembered that my speed went up when I got a new modem recently. They sell it as 5Mbit and I was getting about 4.8, but now its 5.9)

23. deusexaethera

They don't even offer DSL where I live. They offer it two neighborhoods down the road, and it comes to our neighborhood's main box, but they won't turn it on at the back of our house. Fucking political bastards.

24. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Yeah, that's messed up. For a while here, there was only cable high speed. No problem, except it was with Adelphia which was the worst service around here. And the situation was identical to yours. They had DSL a couple of streets away, but not here. That pissed me off but good for a while there.