MIL what to do if another soldier rips you off.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by shiba, Feb 23, 2007.

1. shiba

shiba Active Member

About a year ago, I paid this guy some money to buy a laptop off him. He used his ako email account to send the correspondence so I trusted that he was legit. Well needless to say, after a month and a half of stalling (pulled into the field, broke his leg, etc.) he dissappeared on me.

Sorta.

I managed to track him down through AKO wth his email and I found that he's in fort hood. I made many phone calls down to his unit and I always got a different message on his location every time. He was either out to lunch, at a differnt battery, transfered unit, over in battallion, etc. The list goes on and on. after 3 months of this I called it a loss and gave up.

The other day, i looked him up out of curiosity and discovered that he is now in a different unit. I think i have a better chance of actually getting to him and getting my money back. The only evidence i have are the emails , paypal transaction and web page of the sale. Is there anything I can do to get my money back or should I not bother?

2. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

keep trying that way and if nothing happens get in contact with paypal

3. Getzen88

Getzen88 New Member

I overheard something similer to this about an unpaid debt a little while ago. Their advice was to go to your first shirt. He'll get in contact with his shirt/commander and if he refuses to pay they can take it out of his pay.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Or just go to the police and report the crime. I would probably go to the 1SGT first. If nothing comes of that, I would report it to the cops.

5. shiba

shiba Active Member

It got me nowhere every time i called down there and introduced myself as Cadet. I'm going to try my 1SGT but i won't see them till my next battle assembly. Is there any webpage that has a listing of all the phone numbers down in hood? I want to make sure that he is there rather than rely on what he has down in AKO. Google did not help at all.

6. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

Best course of action. And whatever you do, don't tell the guy that owes you money you are going to his 1SGT.

7. shiba

shiba Active Member

its been 6 months since i last contacted him, I'm pretty sure I'm the last thing on his mind.

I finally found the contact info for his 1sgt but the page also goes on to say that they are in iraq right now. Would this make things more complicated?

8. Getzen88

Getzen88 New Member

I think so. Either wait till he comes back or call it a loss. No sense making his life more difficult when he has more important things to deal with.

9. shiba

shiba Active Member

O believe me, Last thing i wasnt to do is have a long drawn out fight. All I want is my money back. It wouldn't be difficult, he just refunds my money, and we leave on our separate ways. I'm sure he's having a hard time in Iraq, but being a soldier did not give him the right to rip others off.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  10. Getzen88

Getzen88 New Member

I agree, but I think it would be easier on the both of you if you did it when he was stateside.

11. dubrocker

dubrocker sho nuff

just had to deal with this.

call and talk to the 1st sgt. don't introduce yourself as cadet, introduce yourself by first and last name. be professional and include facts only. don't say stuff like "i'd like to think a military member would have better morals..." just stick to the facts and offer to send copies of the stuff you have.

fuck if he is in iraq or not. he knows damn well he fucked you. the most i would do is find out when they are scheduled to return and put the heat on then.

12. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

:werd:

13. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

DOT.

If he fucked you over for money, he's probably done it to others as well. For all we know he's probably a fobbit spending all his spare time on the internet. Even if he isn't, he needs to clean his shit up and live some fucking Army values.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  14. shiba

shiba Active Member

I got a response!! After the 1SGT got my letter, their commander was informed and the soldier was located and ordered to settle the situation. The soldier sent me a letter with all sorts of excuses citing that the item was sent but never really bothered to tell me where it ended up. Hopefully I will get the money within the week. Thanks for the advise everbody!