SRS What to do...I think my car is a lemon....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by hellodon, Jul 3, 2007.

1. hellodon

hellodon

I know this forum seems to harbor mostly dating advice and problems, but i have a serious problem with a car and it's stressing me out beyond belief

At least once a month there is a new problem.

Without going too far into detail and getting boring. Basically I bought a 2003 Saab a little over a year ago. it has been nothing but problems every month since the day I got it. It was in the shop immediately and probably 10 times within the first 4 months. This place kept trying to help me out but the problems persisted. Eventually they got sick of helping me and basically just left me hanging.

The Saab shop tried a ton of different things to fix my problem...nothing worked. About a year later, a few months ago, they replaced the whole transmission. It seems okay but still drives weird.... I just dont trust it.

Besides this major transmission problem, there is something new that happens every month.

This car is a lemon, and I am sick of fixing it and having it be an inconvenience in my life. If it werent for my girlfriend, i would have been stranded multiple times. It's spent over 90 days in the shop total...that is ridiculous.

What do I do? is there anything I can do? I heard this place went out of business, they were supposed to give me a rental car when the transmission was being replaced, said they'd call me monday and completely disappeared...i was without a car for 45 days. This past week I got a letter asking me to extend my warranty from them at a new address.
    I dont know if they still sell cars of what, but i have a contact now, new number and address.

Also tonight, a warning came on "lock system failed. contact saab dealership"....again, one thing after another.

Is it too late to get a lawyer and file a case for this car being a lemon? Is it even classified as a lemon? Should I try to ask for my money back before getting in touch with a lawyer? I think I can get my case reviewed for free, but is this even worth it to pursue? Do i have a case?

I tried to trade this car in and its worth 3000 less than what I owe so thats not going to work. I need my money back and I'm going to buy a brand new car with a full warranty this time...but how can I do this?

Cliffs:
    bought a used saab
    saab has been nothing but trouble
    dealer was MIA, now i found them...
    its been over a year since i bought it
    major problems
    is my car a lemon? what can i do?

2. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

look up your state's lemon laws. I believe NYS is if you bring a car back to the shop for the same problem X number of times, they have to take the car back and give you an equivalent car. (If you drove an '03 saab 40k miles, they have to give you an '03 saab ~40k miles).

In short, go look up the lemon laws for your state.

3. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Saabs are grief.
    I would consider cutting your losses.
    I don't know how much obligation the dealership will pony up for.
    That sucks dude.

4. autobahn

autobahn New Member

GM ruined saab

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

lemon law states that the car has to be purchased brand new and that the same thin has to break 3 times, iirc.

i think you're fucked. :hs:

6. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Are you taking it to a Saab dealership, or a mom and pop shop??

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

It varies from state to state. I think in some states that's true, but in others it has to be bought with some factory warranty remaining on it at the time of purchase, etc.

Was this a "certified pre-owned" vehicle? How many miles are on it, and/or were on it when you bought it? You may be able to argue the angle that whoever certified it didn't do a thorough enough inspection....

8. Bowers & Wilkins

Bowers & Wilkins New Member

same things happening to my alero. Ditching it to buy something more reliable, but probably going to lose over $1300. i would suggest you doing the same, its not worth the headaches

btw this would be a good on topic post ;)