what to do for winter?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Leo95SE, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

my rsx didnt get as much love as i hoped this summer, ive only used zaino on it up until then. ive been a firm believer till we got really bad rains here this summer, and the side panels took a beating, with minimalk beading left after a couple weeks of abuse. anyway, i switched to a coat of meguires gold class just to get some protective carnauba on it to last the summer. well, now its jan, and freezing, and its starting to wear.
    what do you guys do in the winter whom live in colder climates? i normally take it to a hand wash place in the winter, where they offer this fast application of some wet wax stuff, but im not too sure about this. think it would suffice? i dont really drive it in the snow, but the after effects of the salt are what worry me.
    either way, im going to have to do a complete detail in the spring, i was just wondering what will do, if i should do anything at all, for now..

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you have a garage to work in, you can try Protect All's Quick and Easy Wash. It only takes a gallon of water to completely wash a car. www.protectall.com

I'd go with Meguiars #16 Professional Paste Wax in the winter. Very durable and it has a nice wet glow. Gold Class has been reformulated recently for better durability and ease of use, but in my experience, #16 is Meguiars most durable product.

3. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

can you use #16 year round? its not paste as in the traditional hard stuff in a can, is it? i hate working with that stuff!
    ive been thinking of straying from zaino, so i was wondering what some of the top stuff for you guys..
    current process: (annually, otherwise, just a coat of zaino)
    dawn
    claybar with mothers lube
    PC and 3m swirl mark remover
    (sometimes) z100
    zaino #1
    zaino #2
    got a great shine at this point!

what can i use to replace the zaino parts? also, anything better than the SMR for an annual scrub?

thx!!

4. Scottwax

#16 is a paste and incredibly easy to use. Lightly swirl the foam pad in the can, the wax will liquify a bit and then you spread it on a fender or two, then remove immediately. Apply it to the whole car, wait an hour and try to remove, lots of luck! Apply, remove as you work around the car, it is very easy.

What color is your car and what condition is it? That will make it easier to advise you. Check out the product list and review stickies, they have a lot of inforrmation in them.

5. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

its in good shape, just dirty now and a few more swirls b/c its been since june that i polished it really well. got pissed at how quickly the zaino was wearing in the rain..
    so, im lookin for something comparable in gloss to zaino, or better, with longer protection. i guess nothing really beats carnauba, huh? :)

heres a couple pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Scottwax

I'm on dial up, try to compress future pics.

On that color, I would probably go with Meguiars #80 to polish, Clearkote's Vanilla Moose for the glaze and Meguiars #16 for the wax.

7. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Great combo Scott! I used that on my friend's RSX that's the same color and it came out great.

:edit: I thought you were getting DSL?

8. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

dialup?!?!? come on now!! :p
    lol, sorry about that.. thought i cut em down enuff..

thx for the advice, ive heard good things of vanilla moose.. ill let you know as soon as its warm enuff to attack it! :)

9. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

any pics? id love to see!
    mine shine isnt too bad though, right? :)

10. Scottwax

Labster-I have to be here to make the switch, too hard to schedule when the weather guessers can't get it right when it is going to rain.