GUN what to do for cross dominant hands and eyes

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Jhegro, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

for example, i am right handed, and left eye dominant. so i find myself cocking my head just a tiny bit to compensate. is this poor form? i've really never had a problem putting shots into a neat little group, but was wondering if this was hindering or a disadvantage to my shooting.

if it is, what should i be correcting? should i be trying to shoot with my right eye? or left hand? what needs to be changed?

opinions? facts?

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

i have no idea.. but here is a bump, for a worthy thread

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

If shooting weaver, then you'll have to cock your head a bit.

I'm cross dominant as well and find shooting isosceles works perfectly well.

4. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Weaver? Isosceles? What does that mean?

I am exact the same...right handed and left eye dominant. Isn't really an issue and I don't have to cock my head at all, I just move the gun over so that it's lined up with my LEFT eye, and I close my right. Hasn't been a problem so far. :dunno:

Edit: I also stand with my left foot forward of my right. Kinda having my body turned to the right makes it feel more natural since i have to cross the gun over to my left eye.

5. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Isosceles your upper body is square to the target, both hands out infront of you with the gun down your centerline. Both arms are out at the same angle... like an isosceles triangle. Guess it's the best way to describe it.

Weaver you have one arms straight out and you kind of hold the gun off to the side... idk, hard to describe so here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

6. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Nice pic. I see. So far I only shoot weaver. I think iscosceles feels weird, and it doesnt work as well with my cross-dominance issue. I guess whatever gets the bullets to the target. Besides, you going to stand isosceles while shooting the intruder in your house? Doubt it.

7. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

You'll go to whatever stance you always use. Muscle memory...

Won't be exactly the same though during an intense situation but close enough if that's how you always shoot.

I mean, what makes weaver different than iscosceles in your mind :dunno:

8. Aviator

Aviator Banned

I just doesn't feel natural to me, and I think it's because i have to cross the gun over to my left eye. If i'm standing isosceles, I have to actually turn my head to the right to line up my left eye with the gun. But when I'm doing weaver, I can bring the gun over to my eye and not have to turn my head as much. I dunno, I'm just starting out with pistols, but so far that's my experience. I'll get more practice both ways i guess.

Edit: And remember I also stand with my left foot forward so my whole body is turned a little to the right

9. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

change hands

10. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

My feet aren't square to the target. About shoulder width apart and one foot is back like 8" or so. Upper body is square.

I don't really see any time delay if you're drawing. Actually might be longer in weaver because you have to go from holster all the way across your body and to an extended arm. Iso you go from holster right to center body line and punch out and my head and eyes are right there before the gun arrives. Shit, I don't know the method for drawing from a weaver stance though :dunno:

11. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

im cross eye dominant as well, left handed, right eye dominant.
    however, i still shoot with my left eye and i do just fine. i got marksman in the m16 qual's and i can hit center mass with a pistol all day long.

i've heard that, when using a rifle, if you don't use your dominant eye it is harder to shoot, look up, acquire a new target, and shoot again. eek

12. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Yeah I found out I was left eye dominant back when I took some riflery classes in middle school and the instructor made me shoot left handed, which was fine with a rifle, but there's no way I could shoot a pistol primarily with my left hand. And I also wouldn't want to use my right eye. I think not using your dominant eye would hinder your performance with both a rifle and pistol.

13. Aviator

Aviator Banned

There is no way I could use my left hand primarily with a pistol. My left hand is clumsy as fuck. I'd probably drop the gun trying to draw from the holster with my left hand. :hsd:

14. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i am going to try switching hands, my left hand is much more stable thanmy right. my right shakes like ali in a jenga match while my left is pretty stable

15. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

anyone have the link to that shooting book on PDF that was posted awhile ago?

16. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Should be a non issue, for the most part. Bring the gun to the eye, not the eye to the gun. Practice bringing up the weapon and acquiring the target without cocking your head, it should work that way naturally anyway.

17. Aviator

Aviator Banned

Are you a righty or lefty?

18. Aviator

Aviator Banned

I agree.

19. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

righty

20. Aviator

Aviator Banned

So why is your left hand more stable? That's weird.

21. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i broke it a loooooooooong time ago, when i was like 8, my left has always been stronger since, well it seems like it :o

22. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

I'am Right handed and sight through my left eye on Handguns. Rifles you cant tly do that so i just suffer. My right eye is actually really blind. so thats why i shoot with my left. I just got a prescription for glasses so hopefully this will fix my poor vision :p

23. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Don't worry about it. I know many people that shoot that way that for some reason are better shots than the normal shooters I know. Don't ask me why. If you can shoot well the way you shoot now, then don't go messing with it trying to fit into someone else's definition and end up messing up your accuracy.
    It is good however to practice with both hands should the need ever arise that you need to use the other hand but if you are comfortable and accurate, then keep shooting the way you are now. :)

24. reman

reman New Member

think most shooters are right handed and left eye dominant (including me), so don't worry about it.:)

25. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

You can shoot with both eyes open though?