SRS What to do for bestfriend who passed away a year ago

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tickles, Apr 8, 2007.

1. tickles

tickles OT Supporter

*Dont want to post this in the main forum so I hope this is the right place

1. A friend from my closest group passed away suddenly almost a year ago.
    2. Its going to 1 year from his death this coming week (what do you call it?)
    3. Roommate called me and I was in complete disbelief for a few days. Flew home for burial..etc (I got to out of state college). Thought about withdrawing the semester but didn't and got bad grades. Was on AP last semester.
    4. I am not close with his parents nor his then-gf.
    5. I am currently at school and dont plan to go back

I am not worried about what I should do for him but I want to show his parents that I still care so what should I do? Send a snailmail for his family? Call his family? (It was only the second time at the burial I really got to talk to his mom. I dont know anyone else from his family.) Is there any "appropiate" things I can do for his family and for him?

Thanks.

2. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

phone call seems thoughtful (more than snail mail) maybe send some flowers as well or something?:hs:

3. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Sorry to hear that man :hug: I can't even imagine how hard that must have been. Losing my best friend is one of my biggest fears- life without her would be like life without water...I hope you're doing well.

If you're not comfortable with speaking to them over the phone, then a card and maybe some flowers or pictures you have would be just fine, I would think.

Good luck :hs:

4. Kirby McSpic

Kirby McSpic New Member

Call is a good idea, if you could visit them and support them it'd be better, but I guess that's out of the question? :hs:

5. johan

johan Active Member

You came to the right place. I would call them (if you're comfortable) and maybe send some flowers.

A visit...well I suppose you could, but it may be awkward for you and for the parents as you say you were not close with them.

A visit is more 'personal' but keep in mind it may be difficult for them to meet with you as well. A call is personal, yet respectful in this case given that they are sort of strangers to you, and they may still be reeling from the whole thing.

Flowers might be nice too.

Good on you for being so caring.

6. SixSecrets

SixSecrets New Member

:bowdown: Flowers
    :bowdown: Caring

Maybe a small, yet, in good taste "In Memorium" in the deceased local newspaper.

Your sensibility is refreshing Johan.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

definitely give them a call.