What to do about my router.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dice, Mar 8, 2010.

1. dice

dice New Member

So I got a wireless 802.1 1n router. Im not 100% sure of the manufacturer. Anyways, I have this annoying problem every so often when I turn on my PC windows tries to connect to it and after 1 or 2 minutes it just says "local network" and I can't do jack shit without unplugging and replugging in my router. Its annoying, why does it occasionally just let me on the 'local network'? It happens to my Windows XP laptop, and vista desktop. It does not happen to my PS3 or PSP. Again, this problem only occurs a couple times a week, but its enough to annoy the hell out of me. It actually happens to my laptop a lot more often. My ISP is Cogeco, its a broadband connection and i have a dynamic IP address.

Im not sure why i have this problem, my internet is pretty swifty but this problem is just a major piss off. if I need to use my laptop at odd ass hours I don't want to go downstairs and restart it. So any help is greatly appreciated. :x:

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

There are a number of possibilities and solutions.

Give me the router model number and I will look up its instruction manual and walk you through a couple of things.

Don't look for a reply tonight though.

My controlling wife will be coming downstairs soon to insist that I go upstairs and 'snuggle'. I will help you tomorrow.

Till then,

There really is nothing wrong with bouncing your router. You can bounce it over and over again like a superball (assuming that you allow it to boot up properly and keep it down for like 5 seconds, note I am not recomending you bounce it like a light on a lightswitch).

If this is resolving your problem and you want to move it (or the power plug) to a place where you can manually power it down and up a couple times a week - that is as good of a solution as any.

Give me the info on the router and I will see what I can do.

3. dice

dice New Member

yeah I hear ya, gotta keep the ladies happy.

anyways.. the model number is WA-6202-V2. Thats what the bottom plate said. When I first got that router from walmart I went through the instructions and set it up what they said. I pretty much have the basic setup. But thanks help is appreciated. But yes unplugging is a fix, though I didn't pay 50 dollars to unplug it when it isn't doing its job. Anyways, thanks I'll look tomorrow for a reply.

Just to say, I doubt it is a issue but I did set up a local network, for PC to PC file sharing. I have a workgroup going on, and to say it doesn't work very well but it does work.

Im just going through different possibilities because my PSP always can connect to the internet, and my PS3 can as well.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That looks like a Comstar router. Was it issued to you by your ISP? If so, bug them to give you a new one.

Alternately, you can plug it into a grow-light timer and set it to power off once a day while you're at work.

5. dice

dice New Member

No, i dished out my own dollars for this router. My ISP been good to me, so no need to bug yet. I guess realistically I could have it reset it self while im at the University, with that light thing. But for me thats a last resort thing. I was just hoping this was a easy fix, like some stupid option on my router that was whack attack.

6. 7960

7960 New Member

brand new NAME BRAND n router, $50.

why are you bothering with this?

7. deusexaethera

Get a Netgear ProSafe router in a blue metal case. They're the most stable units I've seen.

Aside from the router itself crapping out (which is actually fairly uncommon unless you get a cheap POS), the next most likely thing to die is the wireless transceiver, which gets the shit beaten out of it non-stop because of the anti-jamming mumbo-jumbo that Wi-Fi uses, which was originally developed for the military. Less expensive wireless units use transceivers that aren't tested as long at the factory, so a lot of marginal-quality chips get shipped-out that burn out in a few months. The more expensive units use transceivers that have been tested much longer, so all the marginal-quality ones are burned-out and disposed of at the factory. The Netgear ProSafe wireless access point I have in my office has been sitting on top of a hot server rack for over two years now, and has never once required a reboot.

8. dice

dice New Member

alright..Well its not over between my router and I, I will keep trying. I will try until I can validate spending another 50ish dollars on a router. Because right now the opportunity cost isn't convincing.

On a quick side not, in the US where my dad lives his router pumps out like 120ish mbps wireless (i forget the exact number). Is there routers in Canada that pumps out that speed? The true speed though was awful though, I did the speedtest.net test and the speed was actually 5 mbps but when you hovered over it on the bottom bar it said 120 mbps or what ever. Over here im stuck with 54 mbps, speedtest said my speed was 48 mbps.

9. deusexaethera

The speed at which your router can transfer data has nothing to do with how fast your modem can transfer data. You could have a billion MB/s router and still use a dialup connection to get to the internet.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

I've talked more people out of dumping their 802.11b for a newer "faster" 802.11n.............they always say "but it's faster!" and I have to point out "but you use it to connect one computer to the internet, and your ISP won't even entirely use the speeds 'b' can."

cliffs: people believe the words without knowing what they mean

11. deusexaethera

And the other side of the coin is that wireless is a terrible way to connect multiple computers together in the same house, so really the best setup (if you can afford it) is a wired router with a cable going to each room, a wireless access point for guests, and whatever speed of internet connection you feel like paying for.

Also, 802.11n still isn't standardized, and as we all learned from K56Flex back in the day, there is no guarantee that "draft-compatible" hardware will be able to handle the requirements of the final standard, so it's a waste of money.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

You say that like running a wire is an option. If I was building a house I'd run wire to every room, but like most people, I bought an existing house and it's really not an option. When I can spend $50 and get N speeds, it's worth doing that now and tossing it if "draft compatible" isn't really compatible, as compared to spending over $1000 to have an electrician wire my house.

And yes, I'm capable of doing it myself, but (again) when the options are spending 3 or 4 weekends trying to snake wires through walls, or spending $50 and being done in 10 minutes, I'm going with the 10 minute option.

13. deusexaethera

Well, I did say it was the best setup, not the most practical. But I've never seen a wireless access point that would let me transfer an H.264 movie from one computer to another without crapping out, not even the really good ones.

You're right, running cable is a bitch, but if you have a couple of friends helping you it's a lot easier, and you only have to do it once.

14. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I see no issue using wireless instead of wired. I have my Dish Network box and Blu-Ray player and Roku box setup on a wireless bridge since I can't get a network cable to that location in the house. Everything works fine.

I never heard of that brand router, but I'm guessing it's the problem. If you know how to log into it to set it up, make sure it's running the latest firmware. If you are using wireless security, turn it off and see if that helps the problem.

15. dice

dice New Member

Alright, well I would love to use cables but I don't have the money for that. Ethernet cables are expensive as hell. And my router is downstairs and my PC setup is up stairs. The router it self is pretty fast but it just being dysfunctional and letting me on a local network only is just pissing me off. Maybe I'll have to invest in brand name.

16. 7960

7960 New Member

you can buy 1000 feet for $40, some ends for a few cents, and a crimping tool for $10.

easiest solution.

17. dice

dice New Member

True that. For some reason ive been under the impression cable cost a lot of money. Maybe if you buy it by the 1000 feet. Maybe the cost of it at walmart portrays a different image of it. I really want to go wired connection, but seeing as Im renting at the moment I do not feel the desire to wire up a house that isn't mine.

18. 7960

7960 New Member

buying pre-made at best buy is expensive. making your own is cheap

read:

http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.aspx

you can buy a 1000' roll and make cables for friends and family, sell at half the cost of best buy, and save them money while you pay for your cable.

19. thekraft

thekraft New Member

. :bigthumb:

20. dice

dice New Member

had no idea you could make your own. seems like the most champ thing to do.

21. deusexaethera

Yep, and if you get the proper tools it's pretty easy too. Just make sure to invest in some of the plastic boots that go over the back ends of the plugs where the wires come out; they seem like they're easy enough to skip and save some money, but the cables always end up getting kinked and broken right at the plugs without them. It only takes one or two good yanks.

22. dice

dice New Member

If your going to make cable might as well do it right. Maybe when i got some spare time i will look it up. I think i should fix my upstairs phone jack, I suspect the Line it self leading up stairs is broken. However, due to my lack of experience of fixing telephone line, I won't be able to do much. I believe the line is in the wall. I haven't did much analysis on it. In the mean time, i'll just be fighting my router like a bitch, until I replace it or fix it.