COMIC What to buy?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by God of Thunder, Jul 22, 2008.

1. God of Thunder

God of Thunder New Member

Okay, so I have recently started getting into collecting comic books. I do not have many and have not spent that much on any of them. In fact, right now I only have

Spiderman-Return to the mad dog ward
    FLASH - No.246
    Captain America - No.241
    Hulk - No. 243

Anyway, I was wondering what older comics are best to pick up for decent prices, and what comics are out current that down the road are going to be a collectors item? Are there any? I could use some help as the ones I have I only bought because the covers look cool. Thanks!

2. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

Speculating on comics can be a pain in the ass. Your best bet for collecting is saving up and buying the best condition books you can find. You need to think early issues of very popular books such as spidey, avengers, batman, whatever your fancy is. The problem is that even then, the only ones that are really worth a decent amount are the super early issues, like 1-5, sometimes up to 15 depending on the book, and certain arcs where major shit happens. The prices on those can be fairly steep, and you'd have to keep them in the same condition for many years before you could hope to turn any kind of profit. The best advice I could give you is to not look at the medium as a way to turn a profit, because chances are it won't happen, and if it does, it won't be any time soon.

If you're still looking for solid collecting info, I'd say to just read as much as you can about collecting, consult price guides, and try to follow the pricing trends for a while to get a grasp of where certain issues are going, so that you may better speculate future trends. Remember, what's hot right now could turn out to be something you can't unload in the future. *coughCIVILWARcough*

If you like comics, that's great, and you're more than welcome here anytime. I like to look at it as (sometimes) having some great stories to read, and if any of the books I've bought become worth something twenty years from now, then great. If not, oh well, at least I enjoyed them. That way you won't be disappointed if you bought a bunch of books and they turned out to be worth much less than what you paid.

Maybe some others here can give you a firmer push in a certain direction as to what to buy, what to avoid, etc. There are plenty of people here with varied opinions, some are hardcore collectors, others that just enjoy a good read. Hope this helps in the long run.

3. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

Buy the books you like. You are not going to become rich off of any books that are out now. Only the really early stuff will be worth money and they are already expensive to buy.

The books that I have that I consider valuable are not so cause they are worth money, but because mean something to me. Either cause of the time when I got them or the storyline they cover. For example, I have the entire Age of Apocalypse arc. Not because it is worth money, but because I really loved that arc and it got me back into comics at the time

4. Mortixer

Mortixer New Member

Yeah like the clone saga arc was really important to me in ultimate spider-man becuase issue 100 was the first comic i read that really made me wanna collect. I also picked up all of allstar batman and robin so far because i really enjoyed that series

5. stermy

stermy New Member

yeah, if you enjoy reading them instead of collecting, here are some graphic novels to buy.
    -kingdom come
    -arkham asylum
    -secret war
    -wanted
    -the first 2 frank miller graphic novels of batman(year one and dark knight returns)

new comics lately:
    -kick-ass
    -war heroes has potential but the first issue came out today.

other comics all depends on which superheroes you like, ultimate origins isnt bad, secret invasion is getting better by the issue as well.