What to buy?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Serialpimp, May 27, 2004.

1. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

I have an ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe Motherboard, with the nVIDIA nForce2 chipset,

It is my understanding that it supports Dual Channel Mode DDR, as in if I run two sticks of identical ram it runs faster,
    Is this correct?

It is also my understanding that I should only use Ram with Latency of CL2.
    Is this correct?

Do I have to make adjustments in my BIOS in order to take advantage of the low latency ram ? If so what are those adjustments?

I currently have a 256MB Stick of Kingston HyperX PC3200 CL2,

I was going to buy another one just like it, or just get one stick of 512MB of Kingston HyperX PC3200 CL2,

Any advice or explanations???

2. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Buy another one just like it. If you run dual-channel memory it will be faster than if you just had 2 sticks in a single-channel board. Low latency is good. So if you can afford CL2, you should definitely get it. 2.5 is OK, 3 or higher is slow.

You shouldn't have to change anything in the BIOS - it should detect memory timings automatically. You should check them to make sure that they're what they should be however.

3. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

Thanks,

but would two sticks of 256, be faster that one stick of 512?

4. Serialpimp

Serialpimp Guest

I can buy one more stick of 256 HyperX for $75 or get a generic 512 for $105, or get nice HyperX 512 for $135,

5. Stev

Stev Active Member

the gain from dual channel is about 5-10% or so, so i guess it could be noticeable, i personally would go with the single stick of 512, becuase i dont think u would see that much difference with dual 256's as u would with dual 512's.

BTW, i have the same board in my desktop, it is very very sweet. :big grin: