COMIC What to Buy/Recommendations: come n00bs

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Bobbot, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

Pick your two (okay, this seems very limiting, but for brevity's sake, that's what it's got to be, dammit!!!) favorite ongoing titles and explain why you like it in such a way that may encourage others with your tastes to like it. The goal here folks is to diversify everyone's library. If you do well enough, you'll even encourage people who don't share your tastes to pick up the book!

n00bs (and I'm using the term in an affectionate way) and people who have fallen off the wagon: Tell us what you like and those of us who have been in the game up to now can let you know what's on the market for you. Tell us what you used to read and why you liked it. Again, let's try to stick with ongoing titles (even if they've been cancelled, in the old-timers' cases). If you've never read a comic, reference anything you can. We'll try.

Alright OTCC, let's start geekin out!

2. axio

axio New Member

Fables: great story, easy to get into, and doesn't require you to know 239842304983 years of history to get into it. But you can start researching who wrote what, when, how, etc and get really deep into if you wanted.

Y the Last Man: great story, amazing idea, and always interesting.

3. Bobbot

I'd like to recommend Moon Knight, but I just learned that you can't just pick it up and like it; you need to know his history. After reading Axio's post, I kinda see where I need to go from here.

1) Teen Titans: It's a great ensemble book that isn't bogged down with too much continuity. They're all "legend" characters, much like the JSA, but they are still working to establish their own identities rather than live up to their predecessors. It's very familial in their relationships to eachother and their fights are always on a fairly grand scale. If you like X-Men, you should probably like this as well since it's how the X-Men comics should read.

2) Ultimate Fantastic Four: It's an all-ages book. It covers everything a comic book should. It's got your evil geniuses, time travel, interdimensional jumping, galactic tyrants, zombies, people on fire, and most importantly, some great character development. On top of all that, the art is some of the best there is in the comics medium nowadays. It's on issue 30 something right now, so there's not too much to catch up on. The new arc just had its 2nd issue come out, so it would be a nice jumping-on point for people.

4. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

1) The Walking Dead, Image Comics: A black and white zombie book. Don't let the black and white throw you off. Read the first 10 issues, the story will hook you. It's not just about zombies. It's about the survival involved, and the relationships of the survivors as they go through this tramatic experience. Trust issues, jealousy, fear, hatred, love, happiness, humor, and more all rolled into one story about survival. Expertly written, awesome art, especially when Tony Moore was doing all of the art.

2) Invincible, Image Comics: Teen superhero book. Not your ordinary teen superhero story. Focuses on the life of the hero, similar to spider-man, but with more twists. Humorous arcs with shocking turns. Another great book by Robert Kirkman.

I would've made Y: The Last Man my second pick, but Axio already nabbed it, and it is an excellent story. Seems to be somewhat lacking as of late (to me, at least) but I feel it will pick back up again shortly.

5. Big_Dippin

Big_Dippin New Member

Y: The Last Man
    All Star Superman

6. void

void oh yeah?

i'm not answering this question...i have about 8 favorite books that i love equally...stating a favorite two would cause my books to become sentient and do me physical and emotional harm.

7. Bobbot

Do you think you're special and deserving enough to earn an exception from the above-mentioned rules? Is that it? Because if that's the case, then gtfo.

8. Bobbot

On second thought, I wanna hear what you have to say...so do that instead.

9. void

void oh yeah?

the walking dead - excellent art (even without tony :hs: ), top-notch writing, kirkman is a god with a pen, etc, etc...

ex machina - excellent idea, BKV is probably my favorite writer next to kirkman. i mean...it's a former superhero in a world of NO superheros, that is the current mayor of new york. and he cusses alot, has a jet-pack, and talks to machines. win.

i'd probably pick invincible, but i'm still about 8 books short of finishing the run and i haven't read a single issue :hs:

10. AJAX

AJAX OT Supporter

Ultimate Spider-man: It's a great retelling of spider-man with some great improvements and additions

Astonishing X-men: Great writing and story telling with a compelling plot with a multitude of twists always keeps me coming back for more.

11. Bobbot

werd to the Detective Comics. Paul Dini is so good at these 1-shot stories. Then he's going to have a season finale! It's just like TAS all over again!

12. DevPool

DevPool So you like to play games, huh!?

I figured you would pick Batgirl for sure, Bob.

I'm debating what to post are my faves.

13. Bobbot

Well, it got cancelled, so it's not currently ongoing right now...and I don't think it would be everyone's cup of tea. But if you like 17 year old asian girls who can't speak and can kick the asses of anyone in the DCU, including Lady Shiva's, then this could be for you. Some could argue that she epitomizes the crusade of Batman more than any other of his other safety-disregarded teenage sidekicks.

14. DevPool

Since the idea in here to broaden everyone's horizons, and we're going for a range of comics, and I honestly have no real favorite books, I'll just list a couple that have not been listed as of yet.

Cable & DeadPool (no shock here, I know): I'm obviously biased. I'm listing this book primarily as a plug for DeadPool. I don't plug him very often, so I don't think it's that bad. :big grin:

He's honestly got a lot of depth, character, morals, intelligence, etc. It's just that...he's also a shallow, no-charactered, immoral, moron all at the same time. He's also written with this completely slap-stick motor mouth style (that we have Gail Simone to thank for in majority), so we totally look over the fact that he uses the humor most times as a coping mechanism to deal with his inner complexity. Anyway, he's a complete, utter, hilarious, fuck-up and badass character that can be still totally enjoyed if you never see any of his depth. Side note, he's one of if not the best "fighter" in the Marvel U.

Superman & Batman: Ok, so when they're alone, most of us get tired of Supes & Bats. But Loeb and the other writers really get into both the characters, and it's interesting to see them solve problems and just generally interact together. That, and Michael Turner is a fantastic artist, and really makes Superman come off the pages. He draws him exactly the way you'd picture him to look. I personally love the way he draws Batman too, but he might be a bit too ripped for some (Bob). The plots are decent, the action sequences are intense, and once again the character interaction between the two is fantastic.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  15. DevPool

Oh, and if it's a Marvel "Ultimate" title, it's good.

16. rayray2030

rayray2030 New Member

Invincible
    Fables

17. AMIRITE

AMIRITE CANNON SPIKE!!

Daredevil

18. Bobbot

I'm going to start reading Fables.

19. void

void oh yeah?

pick up anywhere...it's really easy to follow. i read the first few arcs in cbr format...but i started collecting at 50...which was a great starting point. this latest arc is really, really good.