SRS What they dont tell you about anti-depressants

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Want2race, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I have spent the last 9 months on Zoloft and rescently was switched to Effexor by my docter.

I used it for about a week and Ive decided its not worth the effort, the side affects do not justify the benefits!

Nobody tells you that if you miss a pill it will be the worst day of your life! I have had days I wouldnt get out of bed because I was soo dizzy! Its really a shitty situation to be in.

So this week I started the tapering down. I now use 1 75mg every 2nd day. I consulted a docter and he agreed to my schedule. Basically every second day is really shitty!

I looked online and apparently drug makers dont tell you how hard it is to get off this type of medication! Ive tried every sort of gradual step down and I still feel the effects in full. I'm not even sure what to try next.

My best advise.. Make sure you NEED them before you start! Its one thing to need them, its a completely different story to get off of them!

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

IMO drugs are a completely last resort. I took zoloft and other drugs for nearly 2 years, and all they did were numb me down to the point that I didn't care that I had problems. The side effects were unbearable. I think if you're depressed there is probably a reason, and you need to find out what it is, and learn ways of fixing it. Thats what psychotherapy is for.

To fix the "chemical imbalance", I changed my diet completely around. Started eating flax seed meal and taking fish oils and cut out cola and candy bars and other shit foods. I also started kickboxing which both gets my endorphins flowing and really helps my confidence. Haven't been on meds in over a year and I've never felt better.

3. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

Getting off effexor does suck, I quit cold turkey not too long ago and would advise against it if possible.

A few things that some people did that you may want to try is to get the non XR effexor and cut it up into smaller portions so that you are tapering down very slowly, apparently it works.

Good luck :wavey:

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Changing your lifestyle is an excellent solution. Sports and healthy foods are really helping against depression and researches have shown that ingesting omega-3 might help some people against it (ie : flax seed but most importantly fish oils). If everyone were to follow these rules, there would be no problem with medication as they would almost be useless. But it's not everyone that follows this lifestyle and only a few people have the motivation to follow or to switch to it.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

What they don't tell you about anti-depressants: Depressed people will blame anything and everything on anything but their condition. And misery loves company.

6. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

Both Zoloft and Effexor were the WORST medications I'd personally ever taken for depression. HORRIBLE to get off of Effexor, and if I took a dose late, I had those nasty side affects like you described.
    I took Zoloft for a few days, and got torticollis (continuous, involuntary, spasms in the neck, kinda looks like parkinson's disease), that went on for about 2 weeks AFTER I stopped taking it. OY. NOT pleasant.

Prozac made me want to / myself, most of the time, and it also screwed up my sexual functioning (meaning, it was taking me FOREVER to have an orgasm).

So far I am pretty satisfied with how the Rx I am currently taking is working out for me. (I am on Welbutrin) It works on different chemistry than the other meds I'd been taking.

If you even just go on the internet and google the names of the different antidepressants, you will see all kinds of info about possible side affects. Also, the pharmacy or your doctor should be able to provide you with the inserts that come with the medications, and they list all the possible side affects. IF they are not automatically providing that info to you, ASK for it.

7. ebbnflo

True, few people who are depressed DO have the motivation to do much of anything. It's part of the condition.
    I cannot disagree that diet, exersize and behavior modification are important factors in treating and preventing depression.

However, some people remain clinically depressed, in spite of all those things, and some people can only begin to make those changes AFTER they start treating the depression with a medication.

8. ebbnflo

P, can you help me understand what you meant by this?
    :o I am not sure I understand what you were trying to say...particularly the misery loves company part. I know what that means, but am not clear on what YOU meant by it.

9. split-vizionz

split-vizionz New Member

Clearly this person is a jackass :fawk:

10. ebbnflo

Naw, I know he's not a jack-ass. That's why I was asking him to clarify.
    Otherwise, I probably would just have ignored it.

11. svetlanalemon

svetlanalemon A little blood and vomit on the car seat...

which is why medication should always be considered a last resort. When you take them, you acknowledge that there are risks; risks that this type of medication "may not be right for you", or that it might actually do more "harm then good", and of course, the come down, or withdrawal symptoms.... sometimes the harm may outweigh the good, sometimes vice versa.
    in the end if you find that you really cannot function in society at all properly without having to sort of sedate that feeling that depression compels inside of you, then medication might be the thing to turn to, as there is nothing else.

12. ebbnflo

:o ....yeah, I don't know what THAT means either.

13. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

:bigthumb: That's exactly what people should understand. We should make a sticky out of this post.

14. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I wont say it didnt help. I will say I am now at a point I dont want to take them anymore. Its like those floaty things you use to learn to swim.. Maybe Ive learned how to be happy and now I just want to do it on my own!

15. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Part of the criteria to declare that someone has a psychological problem is that its normal functionning is already altered and it has been for a certain amount of time. Some people can get out of it without meds but hey, the problems are already there and actif slowly with talk-therapy alone is not always the best idea.

16. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

The result is what's important ! If you can get off of it and be ok with it, do it. How you feel is all that matters in the end.

17. svetlanalemon

i think you forget something. People who have these problems are people, too, they aren't diseased creatures, a huge chunk of the people who suffer from depression suffer as a result of what circumstance has thrust upon them, not solely because they have a genetic vulnerability, and even if they did, that would be terribly difficult to rule out for sure. Depression isn't a disease, its a human condition.
    Normal functioning is of course altered, but it depends on to what degree. In all cases, things besides mind-altering medication should be tried, to help the individual him/herself learn how to deal with problems... in terms of depression, it has the potential to affect anyone, through the right mix of bad circumstance. It's only ethical to help the patient or individual try out things that dont directly involve sccrewing with his brain chemistry before in case.
    I didnt say talk therapy alone, exercise in itself for example, has been shown to make remarkable, positive changes in the moods of individuals afflicted with depression, now putting talk therapy on top of that, perhaps cognitive behavioral or psychotherapy, whichever... therapy is a very powerful assett to one's recovery or coping with an ailment of this nature, when the right patient is met with the right therapist/psychologist...
    As i said before, it is smartest and safest to leave medication as the last resort, as there are many different complications and risks that a person may be confronted with when trying out different brands/types of it...

Psychiatrists should prescribe medication with care and caution, if someone has already the courage to seek out professional help by seeking out a psychologist/therapist or a general physician, he/she would be willing to put just a little bit of their own strength in trying to solve their problem without having to go straight to medication.
    If enough time has passed and the patient doesnt seem to be responding to talk therapy and exercise in itself well, then that is when medication should be considered.
    Medication in itself isn't a perfect remedy in no way; why go through the risk of having to put up with all the potential side effects and things that could go awry when you can try out a few methods beforehand that don't directly involve those things?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  18. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Treating the mind and the body as separate entities is an error. Should we only medicate people with depression ? No. Should we medicate people with a "disease" and not offer them psychological help ? Hell no. Mind and body are linked entities which live together and we should treat both at the same time to get the best results quickly instead of trying things.
    It depends on the gravity of the alteration, but a "little" problem can become huge if it's not treated properly. You think that it isn't ethical to screw with the person's mind, but would it be ethical not to offer the person the most effective therapy available ? You consider the problem of the body, I consider the effects that not being effective might have on the person's life. Pick your choice.
    Yes, there are side-effects, but as science progress, we will be able to detect the genetic vulnerabilities and the chemical imbalance in the person's brain to get the best treatment at first. It's not yet perfect, I agree, but if the person tries talk-therapy at first, we should wait quite some time before judging the efficacity of the treatment. What if there's no change after 3 or 4 months ? What if the depression that was beginning to alter the person's efficacity at work made him lose his job ? What if the lack of motivation and inability to feel joy made him forget his friends ? Then it would be a lot harder to treat the person with "normal" therapy as they will in fact be in a crappy situation, it would be normal for someone to feel depressed had they lost their friends !

You have to take into account the good things and the bad things of both scenarios. If I were a therapist, I wouldn't feel comfortable not to offer the person all the chances to succeed. If you chose, as a client, not to follow the therapist's guidelines, that's fine by me, but it's your choice as a person. A professional can only offer what's best to his knowledge. Nonetheless, I have to agree that psychiatrists aren't the solution and that doctors in general are quick to give meds. That's why there are professionnals that offer a joint therapy, you just have to find them.

All I want to say is that your choice as a person is not what a professionnal should offer, let's not mix both... I, as a person, would try therapy alone first because I know my limits, but what goes for me is not good for everyone.

19. svetlanalemon

I never mentioned treating the mind and body as separate entities, the key is not "quicker recovery", the key is lasting, enduring, maintaining good mental health without risking dependance on any substance foreign to the body, in this case, mind altering medication.
    Everything "mental" involves the body; fear or anxiety are not "problems" of the adrenal gland, it just happens that the reinforced fear triggers the adrenal gland to excrete massive amounts of adrenaline ( causing anxiety ) thus prolonging the problem.
    If that fear is addressed and taken away, the brain does not signal the adrenal gland to pump out as much adrenaline..
    And such is the case of different types of depression, once individuals are offered an objective view of the world ( aside from their own, tarnished, subjective, rose colored view) by a therapist/psychologist they are given the freedom and knowledge to change the way they think.

Instead of "trying things"? So with your logic, you're saying that regardless of the degree of one's depression/anxiety, you should hand them medication because it's "faster, and more effective"? Changing one's rose-colored mindset takes time.
    You go against what you said in a previous thread where you specifically say yourself that you disagree with the overprescription of medication. What my point is, is that psychiatrists should be careful with who they are prescribing medication to. You talk about medication as if they are wonder drugs.
    Your stance isn't a "professional" stance, mind you; just because you are studying psychology doesn't make your opinion right; it just means that you're studying psychology. Anyone with an interest can go into the field, don't try and justify your argument with the fact that you are "involved" and studying in the field. That is completely off- tangent and sort of unnecessary as it doesn't say anything at all about the matter at hand. Nor say that my view isn't one that a "professional " would take. What defines a view that a "professional" would take? It's not your place to say what's professional and what's not. That's a little pretentious, don't you think ?
    A professional would take in mind the risks associated with medication, and prescribe it with the utmost caution- the point is not to just give the individual the ability to merely "function" in society.
    The point of psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy and what not is to change the fogged mindset of an individual. Exercise and therapy are not mere things that one should "try", they are actually very powerful assets in treating and improving mental health.
    Since medication isnt a wonder drug, and it can possibly do more harm than good, why would you want to introduce it initially in the first place? You would want to see first how the patient progresses without needing a stimulant/drug to wane the pain/anxiety.. not give the patient something that could potentially make it worse.

I don't see why you're responding to my posts in the first place, as i am not shrugging medication off as a whole ( just not placing it on a pedestal ), i'm only saying that it shouldn't be prescribed immediately, patients should be given the freedom to try and progress without the hand of mind altering medication- yet here for some reason you are trying to defend medication as a wonder drug without fallibilities, which is certainly not the truth.

20. TwiggSS

TwiggSS eh?

I was on effexor for about 8 months and i weaned myself off by opening up the capsules and dumping some out, that way i had it each day and didn't get the dizzyness near as bad.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

They are depressed, sick, ill. They aren't thinking clearly. Part of this is making a mountain out of a mole-hill of everything, and over-externalizing the cause of their problems. They don't like drugs but take an anti-depressant out of desperation. Their mood elevates, their thinking clears. Their situation improves. The side effects of the medication remain. Side effects compound drug stigma, and they start to hate the anti-depressant. They come off too soon, the old symptoms come back, they continue the pattern of unhealthy thinking that was a part of their illness: blame something external, the pill, and advise everyone else to quit too.

Its a sad cycle. I'm tired of fighting it in here. This place has been over-run by morons.

22. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

I was on Prozac for awhile, I had some problems I was dealing with. I expected to go talk to someone to discuss my problems. Instead a went in the office, filled out a questionere and he prescribed me meds. I was like :ugh:, ok. Well 2 weeks later I went back, still had the same problem and he upped the dosage. After 1 month on it I decided it was just masking a problem and not fixing it. Not to mention I am fucking with my brain's chemistry and that isn't good.

23. ebbnflo

Thank you for clarifying that to me, P.

I sincerely hope that you are not considering me to be included in the "morons" of which you speak, because a moron I am not. However, knowing what little bit I know about you, I am pretty confident that if you were under the impression that I was was a moron, you would have already flat out said,
    " E, you are a fucking moron." straight to ME. Yeah?

Anyway, Effexor I think I gave a very fair shot to. I used it for 2 years, including an entire pregnancy (which I now feel pretty shitty about).
    Zoloft, no I did not take for what might be considered "long enough" but since my head was constantly wobbling like a bobble head toy after only a few days of use, but Dr. instructed me to stop taking it immediately, and I was happy to do so, as that was a horribly painful and embarassing couple of weeks. Prozac I took for...a couple months, I think, and I found myself more and more motivated to / myself, and neither I nor my Dr. were willing to let it go much longer to find out if taking it longer would actually help. I think it was just that I was inhibiting the reuptake of the wrong chemicals, because those were SSRIs and the Rx I am on currently is not.....

Bleh, sounding like a broken record, so I will shut the hell up now.

24. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You're not a moron, and you're not one of the morans I was referring to :)

Oh, and it is a bad thing for a baby for the mother to be depressed. Its good you were on medication, because you needed it.

25. ebbnflo

Alright, thank you.

As for the Effexor during my pregnancy, yeah, I know there's nothing I can do about it now, but it's a "mom thing" I think, to wonder if things I did or didn't do while pregnant are to blame for things that are going on in my child currently. So with any mental or physical health issues she has, I wonder if/how I was to blame for it. It's like a knee-jerk reaction, though I try not to let it get to me too much, because even if I WAS to blame somehow, I can't change the past.