SRS what the?? is this my fault??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by c0dyblah, Jul 27, 2007.

1. c0dyblah

c0dyblah New Member

here is the background:
    i work @ a register in a store and usually there is only one person running the place. few months ago i had to have a coworker cover me because i had to take care of somethings. and he said he'd gladly do it. he didn't have a car at the time, so i even took him to work. and in the middle of the shift, he had to leave the store cause of a family emergency. and the boss comes back and usually closes up, and since he was not there, he got fired.

(i'm at the store right now, and i got interweb uses while im at the counter)

literally 10 mins ago, he walks in saying he wants to talk. ok. he told me the reason why he had to take off that one day. (his brother cut himself to the point where he had to go to the hospital). when he was released, my coworker blamed his brother for him getting fired.
    so last month his brother takes his own life, and leaves him a note along the lines of "i'm sorry i got you fired from your job"
    as soon as he said that i was like "oh wtf did i do" in my head, but i guess his brother has already contemplated suicide in the first place

right now the work schedual is filled up, and he tells me he'll pay me to take my job/shift, and i'm thinking to myself...why can't he just find another job? i dont know. so i guess im going to have to help him and see if my boss has an opening since he wants to work here that bad. but that is the least of my worries

all of this ruined my day, i already felt bad in the first place cause he got fired, but its even worse now cause it feels like im at fault for the death of his brother cause i had him cover my shift. (right now i got that "unbelieveable" feeling)

cliffs- i had coworker cover my shift, he had to leave(brother in hospital, for cutting himself) so coworker gets fired, and the coworker blamed his brother. so the brother took his own life. am i at fault?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  2. ///M Pilot

///M Pilot New Member

It's an unfortunate turn of events, but someone else's mental instability isn't exactly your fault.

3. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Honey, people don't kill themselves because their brother got fired or their girlfriend broke up with them or because life is just too much
    - they kill themselves because they're mentally ill.

He was planning to kill himself anyhow- it was just a matter of when. It has nothing to do with you or his brother or anyone else.

I know its shocking and upsetting, but its no one's fault. Offer up your job to him if you'd like- but don't feel obligated.

I'm sorry that you're dealing with this. Good luck to you.

4. verdiocchi

verdiocchi Oh snap!

That is definitely not your fault! I can't believe that your coworker would actually blame his suicidal brother for getting him fired! Your coworker is just trying to console himself by taking the blame off his own shoulders and putting it on you. He should have been more understanding toward his brother. All he should have cared about was that his brother was still alive, not that he had to find a new job.

People who are in a place to take their own lives are in need of help and understanding. Your coworker was not there for his brother the way he should have been. The LAST thing a suicidal person needs is someone making them feel bad about something.

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Your co-worker feels like he needs to blame someone so he is blaming you.

If you like your job, stay there, don't worry about it.

6. c0dyblah

c0dyblah New Member

well it doesnt really matter, cause later that evening at the end of my shift, my boss comes in and says theres not enough business so he had to let me go :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. Marmitha

Marmitha Milk ftw

oh the ironing :eek3: