What the hell is wrong with my internet? PC Crew, GET IN HERE!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blazed Monkey, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

Breif summary: Since I have gotten my new wireless router, my internet connection randomly goes down, and I have to log off of windows, then log back in to get it back.

If I am downloading something, either through BT or newsgroups, my download will continue like nothing is wrong. If I try to initiate any new connections, like check my email through pegasus, or open a webpage, the connection times out and I get nothing.

What usually happens: I come home from work, check my email, check OT, and start my downloads in BT or usenet/newsgroups. I close firefox/email, but leave my BT/newsgroups downloading, and go watch a movie. After my movie is done, I come back to my PC and my BT/newsgroups are still downloading, but if I try to download my email, or open a webpage, I get timeouts. The only way I have found to fix it is to restart the computer, or log off XP, then log back in.

The only recent change in my system is that I changed from a D-Link DI-604 wired router to a D-Link DI-524 wireless G router.

Anybody know what is wrong or how to fix this, it's driving me insane :run:

2. warped

warped pearl jam > * OT Supporter

do you have comcast?

3. Blazed Monkey

Time Warner, Kansas City

4. Blazed Monkey

5. muchspl2

muchspl2 The law of unintended consequences owns me

6. teh professor

teh professor

I have a similar problem. I can be d/l'ing with BT or XNews at a good speed, yet sometimes http connections will time out. If I shut down Zone Alarm, it works again. Restart ZA, and it times out. Reboot, and everything works even with ZA running. For a while... then time out again. It only seems to happen when I haven't been at the computer for a long time (10+ hours).

7. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

The obvious question is... have you switched back to wired to see if the problem persists? If so, then it's a problem with the connection. If the problem goes away, obviously, the problem is with the wireless router.

8. Blazed Monkey

FINALLY figured out the problem. I had my router set up as a DHCP server to hand out IP addresses to my multiple devices. The only thing I didn't change was the lease time on the IP's. My internet connections lease time from my cable company is 24 hours, but I had left the routers lease time set at 1 week. :uh:

Switched the router lease to 1 hour, haven't had a single problem since :wiggle: