What the hell is with all the flaming going on in here lately?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Doc Brown, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Some of you guys seriously need to consider going on meds.

Deus can't even make a comment lately without multiple pileups happening.

Jolly is being his usual engaging self.

Now there's another half dozen people jumping into the fray lately.

This is a freaking sub forum, and it's supposed to be civil in here.

I've seen posters coming in here for help lately expecting to get their heads chewed off, and it's not surprising why.

What's so hard about keeping it on an even keel?

There's not a person in here that knows all of this shit. Not a one.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If deuse were to just stop posting, things would be much better, and I would be nicer.

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Shut the fuck up.

j/k

Seriously though, this forum has been on a downhill slide the past few months.

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

I'm pissed, no OTAH :madfawk:

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, it's gonna be fun to read that explanation.

6. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Computer dorks shouldn't fight.

7. Nocera

Nocera ...

If someone posts an uninformed response regarding a topic that they don't fully understand, they shouldn't be surprised if other people call them on it. That being said, the thread shouldn't be completely hijacked in an attempt to discredit the person either. But I think things would run much smoother if everyone followed the general rule that if you don't know what you're talking about, don't post. Not only does it incite flaming, it also spreads misinformation around to people that need real help.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i think it is ok to post an answer that you may not be certain of as long as you qualify it as such. sometimes a guess can get someone in the right direction, but you have to be up front when you are talking out of your ass.

9. Doc Brown

Too much of it lately is when people just aren't talking about the same thing and flames erupt anyway.
    Sometimes you just read the question wrong. Recently a guy posted a screenshot with text at the top side and bottom of it.
    Well the text to the right of it was key, and a few of us missed it.
    Nobody's perfect.
    And quite often the people looking for help, aren't making it any easier on us either with completely vague questions.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:werd: and that is EXACTLY my point:

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Oh stop trying to make yourself out to be the stout defender of truth and goodness in C&P. You insult people just for asking questions, before anyone else even attempts to answer. You may think I'm the single most grievous offender in regards to misinformation, but if it appears that way, it's only because virtually nobody else even wants to step into the line of fire to post at all. Contrary to your suggestion, if you stopped posting, people would actually be able to have civil conversations the majority of the time, and the entire forum would be nicer.

I agree that misinformation is a problem, and by no means am I exempting myself from spreading it from time to time, but vitriol is a hell of a lot worse. The single biggest improvement that could be made to C&P would be to remove anyone who antagonizes people for their own gratification. Let's face it, computer nerds are kinda prone to being elitist pricks, and that's what the mods should be on guard against, first and foremost. The misinformation will correct itself through debate.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  12. Doc Brown

There's plenty that gets thrown around by guys in here that should know better.
    "Norton is a virus. Remove Norton at all costs or your machine will die!!"

I can just imagine what some posters are thinking when they leave the thread sometimes.
    "Shit, I paid $30 for a virus??"

I try to stay away from "favorite product" arguments because of that.
    I mean, at this point you can probably trust almost all hardware from any vendor right now, with the obvious exception of power supplies.

Hard drives? I don't know, maybe Maxtor is still having trouble? But since Seagate bought them out, I bet that's changed.
    I'm seriously thinkinig of trying a Samsung Spinpoint because they are so scary fast.

Cpu's? Best one for the money, I say. Intel does seem to have that covered though.

Cases? Ngga please. If it looks good to you and will cool well, then it's a good case. Period.

DVD burners. Does anyone even make a bad one now? Seriously.
    Matsushita probably makes the main parts for every single one on the planet by now.

Memory? Completely varies from batch to batch and from model# to model#.

And don't even get me started on software arguments. Everyone has their
    favorites. Say what they are and move on, I say.

And anyway, the main reason for this thread was that the pileups are just pathetic lately.
    That's what people expect to get in ot, not in a sub forum.

> end rant v.2.3.1.537 <

13. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

pot, kettle

14. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

15. MP

MP New Member

haha :rofl:

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have never seen you contribute anything to this forum.

And note what I said:

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's better to NOT post than post a long-winded post of MIS-information.

This is not a time-to-time thing. You do it on a DAILY basis. It's a matter of defending innocent newcomers from the shit you spew.

Most people don't stick around long enough for debate... They simply take the advice, leave, and then get fucked over by whatever disease you have that insists on spreading lies.

And the whole point of THIS thread is that they didn't like the debate!

And lets be honest, it's getting really old that everytime deuse posts, then myself or someone else has to come in and go "no". And then deuse always want us to explain "why". So we do explain "why". And then deuse always come back with some b.s. "what-if" or "thats not what I meant" or "your apples are fine but what about my oranges". And then we have to remind deuse of a little thing called SCOPE. It's really lame.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Do you honestly feel that it isn't a virus? Now here's where I have to pull my "experience card". Let's examine Norton for a bit:

For starters, it does impact the performance of your system. It is quite noticable. Now by the nature of heuristics, all AV products require memory and CPU cycles, but Norton is a noticable presence.

Secondly, Norton is quite annoying. It constantly pops up messages like "are you sure?". To me that's spyware. If you unneccessarily interrupt my work, you are a bother. Thirdly, it does a piss-poor job at "protecting" anything. Because of all the firewall popups, users either click "yes" without reading what they're agreeing too (that's not gonna help, anything) or they read the message and "flip-out" (again, take a valium and calm the fuck down). So there's no protection going on there.

Now when it comes to viruses, I can't think of the last time I touched a Norton-users' machine that didn't have a virus on it. Now we must consider that anyone that uses Norton is obviously an idiot when it comes to computers, so they're at a higher risk for viruses, by default. However, it's amazing how many viruses Norton simply doesn't get. Throw AVG on the machine, and it promptly removes them.

Now we get to the "enlightmentment" stage... Once I demonstrate to the user how much a piece of shit Norton is, they want to remove it. Good luck. Add/Remove Programs certainly doesn't get the job done. The only efficient method in existance for effectively removing all of Norton is a reformat/reinstall.

That product is Spyware in the extreme -- and it burries itself deep into the OS. Now Norton claims this is so a "virus" doesn't attack Norton itself... But why would a virus want to do that? A computer with Norton is an excellent home for a virus, and my mommy always told me not to bite the hand that feeds me. Afterall, a computer with Norton is likely not to put up a fight when that virus moves in and starts feeding... And the user thinks they have protection, so they're not gonna be installing other products to evict that virus. Believe me, that virus is happy to see Norton. But what Norton needs is to keep in that computer.

They know they can't win my merits of their shitty product... But they need you to keep re-purchasing that license every year. That's why they burry deep, advertise like crazy, and offer lots of rebates to keep users from trying any real AV products.

Nope. You cannot trust a "loaded" asus board. The ancillaries will break. And you cannot trust an ECS or Foxconn motherboard. You can't trust a LG or Asus optical drive. You can't trust a PNY video card. There's still lots of products that are simply "avoid at all costs".

That doesn't include, for example, a Gigabyte P35 mobo -- which is okay... Although why buy "okay" when you could get "fantastic" (intel p35) I just never will understand.

I can tell you that Samsung DOES make a great drive. I stock a shitload of their 40GB 8MB cache 7200RPM drives because they are VERY quiet, VERY inexpensive, VERY fast (for what they are), run cooler than WD, and I have not had a single one fail! I have lots of business customers that use them in office machines or kiosk situations where they don't need much space, but want a quiet, reliable, and cool-running drive.

Yes, that's not even a contest, right now.

There's a THIRD and FORTH item to that list. Is it sturdy? Is it a good faraday cage?

Antec fails on the sturdy aspect almost every time. Not to mention they are a ripoff for what you get. Besides, the case is what everyone looks at.... You put sweat and blood into the damn thing, give it the respect of a decent case.

Matsushita (panasonic) makes the lasers, lenses, etc. But everything else is open to the "lowest bidder". MSI, Asus, and LG come to mind as the SHITTIEST optical drives on the planet. I refuse to touch them. Sony/NEC, Pioneer, Lite-On, Plextor, etc are all fine.

Yes it does... However, Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, and Mushkin are consistenly excellent.

depends on what it is. As for Office vs OpenOffice, I don't give a shit. I just wish people that can't afford Office -- regardless of how much they may want it -- would simply STOP stealing and just use OpenOffice. Same goes with any for-profit/open-source product.

It's hard to get into those arguments with the main forum because a bandwagoner will come in and ruin it within 3 posts.

19. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

so true LOL! exactly how it goes

20. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Honestly, when I have asked questions, I like when people argue over the answer. It does need to remain on topic or at least related to the topic though. But when people argue it gives me ideas as to the different options I may have and I am able to either take one person's word over the other or do some more research myself.

Any as far as mis-information. If the thread topic is actually a major issue, I would hope that the thread starter isn't just taking the first response at the first place he/she asks and runs with it (having no background or knowledge in the subject area). Smaller minor things, the supposed mis-information could be right, or send the thread starter in the right direction (or just ask the question in a more precise manor when incorrect solution doesn't work) with how vague and misworded a lot of questions are.

21. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

jesus christ, dude. could you stfu for one second? all you do is spout off about all of this shit that you know so much better than everyone else and if anyone other than you has an opinion that differs you berate and belittle them to no end. i'd say 90% of the flaming is either done by you or caused by you. now, i don't necessarily disagree with everything you say, but i find that you act like the biggest asshole and thus i have no interest in reading your shit.

if you could just be a little more constructive instead of constantly trying to show everyone else how big your epeen is, you might actually help some people. instead, people just want to disregard what you have to say because your "assistance" comes across more as a personal attack.

22. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

oh, and yes... i am a contributor to the flames, but specifical directed towards potroast, in case you've missed it. i don't have much to contribute in the PC space, so i don't add much other than clarifying questions to those discussions, but i certainly get annoyed by his constant need to boost his own ego by attacking others around him. anything constructive that he brings to a topic is immediately negated by his horrible attitude towards people.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You are a fucking troll. You have a pre-decided disposition before entering the thread, and therefore are useless. This thread proves that because I posted a lot of VERY VALUABLE AND TRUE information and you didn't even take the time to read it. Congrats on making yourself look like an idiot.

IRONY

you personally attacked me here, after I posted an EXTREMELY CONSTRUCTIVE post.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Again, proving that you are nothing more than a faggot troll.

/yourself.

25. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.