What the hell is the matter with my PS2?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Guest, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have to reset the damn thing like 14 times to get it to read games sometimes. I tried to play a DVD on it last night, and it would not play-I could go to the browser and it would reconize the "dvd video" I would highlight it and hit the X and the stupid PS2 would just go back to the browser.

Is anyone else having any problems like this?
  2. clean the lens
  3. JP

JP Guest

I get the same problem with mine, except it won't play games or movies anymore. My little brother's PS2 is acting just like yours, and really sucks.

I talked with a Sony rep, and he told me not to clean the lens, although I had already done it. It didn't help one bit.

Currently, my PS2 is in about 12 pieces, and I'm still clueless.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

What is the best way to clean the lens?
  5. Buckfutter

Buckfutter I :heart: boobs

May 4, 2001
    Although Sony won't admit it, many of the early PS2's had defective DVD readers and won't play DVD games or movies and have a hard time doing it. The lens are off a little bit and since DVD's have a much higher compression then regular games, the misalignment only really affects DVD's.
  6. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

Dec 27, 2001
    :big grin: :big grin: :big grin:

I couldn't agree more...

and its not just the first few batches... it hapens with the new PS2's every so often as well...

sucks but its true
  7. JP

JP Guest

So, is there anything we can do? I have my PS2 sitting here all torn apart. Can I adjust the lens?

8. gardner

gardner what's another word for pirate treasure

Dec 22, 2001

you can buy these CD cleaner things at any Electronic Store
  9. Blue Demon

Blue Demon Chi Town Demon

Jan 6, 2002
    I would return it for a new one:dunno:
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

So the stupid ass thing won't play GTA3 now at all :mad: . I haven't gotten a lens cleaner yet, but I am going to try that. I did write an email to Sony to see what kind of response they give me.

Here is where I did that at:
    (over on the right hand side under support)

I will wait and see what they tell me, and see what the lens cleaner does, but if the thing dosen't work after that I will probably go buy a new one, maybe try to put the old one in the box and return it :dunno: ?
  11. JP

JP Guest

My lens cleaner did nothing, but who knows, it might work:dunno:

Don't switch boxes. My bro said there was a hole in the box that reveals the serial # that should match the one on the box.

My cousin tried to do it and got busted.
  12. Guest

Guest Guest

Here is the response I got from Sony. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but if this does work I will be amazed.

13. JP

JP Guest

I got that response, and it didn't work. It may work for you, though.

I emailed them again with an angry email telling them I took it apart and got this response;
    Hello Jean,

Thank you for writing us.

We regret to inform you that Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA)
    does not recommend anyone
    other than an authorized Sony Service Center (SSC) Technician opening the
    PlayStation(R)2 computer
    entertainment system. Doing so will immediately void the Sony Warranty,
    and your PlayStation 2
    system may not be repaired*. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you need more assistance, please call our Technical Support line at (800)
    345-7669. Our
    representatives are available to assist you:
    Monday through Saturday 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
    Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

*Note: If any of the original components or parts are removed, altered,
    modified, or have been
    tampered, our SSC Technician will deem the unit not repairable, and return
    your system back to you.

If you have further questions regarding this message, please refer to your
    email case

Annette S.
    Multimedia CSR
    PlayStation.com Customer Service
  14. Lomotil

Lomotil Guest

*Runs around shouting to all the Sony supporters: I fucking told you so!

:big grin:
  15. CamBot

CamBot Guest

i think sony has great electronics, always cutting edge and good looking ;) HOWEVER, those mothertruckers are LAME when it comes to returning damaged/defective goods. my sony monitor is GREAT when it comes to sharpness/color/quality/style...however...the red tube is defective and turns the screen blue sometimes, until i whack it on the top a couple times. i called in and since it's an on/off thing, the guy said if it wasn't blue *at that moment* then there was "nothing wrong with it" but i could ship it to chicago (i live in dallas, so WTF??) and pay shipping for them to jangle with it. yea. sony sucks w/ helping out their customers.
  16. Guest

Guest Guest

whats wrong with Sony? My tv is older than my 18 years and it works perfectley o_O
  17. Lomotil

Lomotil Guest

CamBot - yeah, sounds like you've got another great sony product... I love it when you have to actually pound on your electronics for them to work properly...

Abdul - Sony used to make quality products until they found out they could survive on their name alone. You've got a Sony TV from back when they actually gave a damn (before the whole planned obsolescence idea hit them) and made quality products. Now, it's obvious that they only want to keep their customers happy with a seemingly high-quality product that just happens to crap out early, causing the consumer to go out and buy another inferior product from the good folks at Sony. Out of all the Sony products I've ever owned, only two of them have not broken. And no, I do not neglect or abuse my electronics. I've gone through quite a few shitty Sony products, including two PSX systems... they acknowledged a problem with the laser, but did not offer to fix them, unless it's less than 90 days old. That's a pretty shitty warranty to begin with, and not fixing their DEFECTIVE products (which only showed signs after a year or so) just shows you what a shady and dishonest company they truly are. Fuck Sony.

Oh, and CamBot: Sounds like the problem might be in the monitor cable... have you tried jiggling it around where it hooks up to the back of your monitor when it's acting strange?