What the heck is a Turbonator and does it work?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deusexaethera, Dec 6, 2005.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I saw an ad for something called a Turbonator. It installs in the intake downstream of the airbox and it claims that its ability to swirl the intake air can improve horsepower and fuel mileage. I assume this swirling motion is supposed to reduce other, more detrimental forms of turbulence in the intake airstream. I'm not particularly concerned with boosting the HP of a minivan, but boosting the MPG sounds attractive. Has anybody else heard of this thing, and does anybody know if it works at all?

2. Black98GPGT

Black98GPGT im back....

Its acually pretty shitty.

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Does not work.. I do not have the link, but some place like Popular Mechanics tested a bunch of these and actually found a decrease in HP..

4. dew

dew Banned

just another waste of money if your going to buy anything wiht the word "turbo" in it.. it better make over 50hp ..

5. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Pick one...

Junk
    Garbage
    Trash
    POS

6. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

Basically it's a big fan, that claims to be a pseudo $70 supercharger. No it does not work. It actually becomes a restriction, which would hurt MPG and HP. Spending $30 for a good tune-up would help out more than any turbonator, tornado, or that other crap.

There are no magic bolt ons to increase MPG. The only things that really work are those that increase the efficiency of the engine, things like headers/exhaust, new intake, heads, etc.

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How much more horsepower/gas savings can I get?
    By enhancing fuel atomization the Turbonator produces increased horsepower and fuel economy. An emissions lab, licensed by the EPA conducted tests on vortex generators that produced results as high as 20 horsepower and 24% increases in mileage. Other independently conducted studies yielded results as high as 35 HP and 31% MPG. Twenty and 35 HP boosts are not typical. Your results with the Turbonator will probably, but not necessarily, be less. Just keep this in mind. A Vortech Supercharger kit for a 2004 Mustang that produces 155 HP boost costs $5,139.95. The Price/Performance ratio is $5,139.95/155HP = $33.16/HP. It costs $33.16 for every one horsepower it produces. All the Turbonator has to give you to beat the Vortech supercharger in terms of it's price/performance ratio is 3 horsepower. * [/FONT]

Lets see, fuel atomization wouldn't really be affected much at all by this device. In a fuel injected vehicle, the fuel is as atomized as its ever going to get just after it exits the injector nozzle.

An emissions lab, licensed by the EPA...would be who this company paid to test the device. I'm kinda curious how they managed to increase fuel mileage by 24% by testing in a lab.

Your results will probably, but not neccesarily be less...I'd imagine they will be less.

If you want to save fuel mileage, get a tune up and make sure your tires are up to proper pressure.