WHAT THE FUCK my gym is "moving"

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Seraph, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seraph

Seraph Guest

So I show up today to get the daily pump and I see a number of guys rolling up the mats and taking down the TVs. I find the owner and ask him what's up and he tells me they lost the lease and they're moving 2 miles up the street.

The new building is a LOT smaller. They won't have an indoor track and they have to get rid of like HALF of their machines. Not only that, but I drove the "2 miles" and it actually takes an extra 10 minutes to get there. So now I have a 15 minute commute each way just to get to the gym!!!

FUCK THAT SHIT. I still have another 6 months on my contract. Anyone ever experienced this with a gym? Do they usually do anything for you? I'm assuming they have some sort of clause in the contract to protect them in this situation, but it fucking sucks for me.

Cliffs: Gym owners are cheapskates, don't renew lease and downgrade to a smaller place with half the equipment. Seraph suffers.

2. SoKo

SoKo New Member

I would compose a letter stating that by moving the gym to a place inconvenient to you and also by reducing their services you are withdrawing your liability from your membership contract and give 10 days to respond.
    edit: i don't know if that will work or if it is legally sound, but it sounds good :o

3. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

fuck i wouldn't stand for that shit.

4. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

wtf, what gym?

join urban active, their new locations are fucking baller

5. FINALBOSS

FINALBOSS

I worked at a gym for over a year, and in our contract we had something saying that if we moved within ~5 miles of our current location, you were not eligible for a contract cancellation and would suffer an ETF if you did. I'd check your contract to see if there is something similar in there.

6. SoKo

SoKo New Member

i think reducing services (i.e. space,equipment) is a different story though, but i might be wrong

7. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

I'm pretty sure by them reducing what they offer you could easily get out of the contract because you are no longer receiving the product/service that you originally agreed to in the initial contract.

8. Seraph

Seraph Guest

Metro Fitness. Urban Active is expensive. Metro Fitness was $35 a month for both me AND my girlfriend.

9. SoKo

SoKo New Member

well of course it was cheap, they couldn't even pay their rent!

10. pripub

pripub Guest

just buy yourself a squat rack + bench. worth it.

11. Seraph

Seraph Guest

Sure, I'll put that right next to my couch in my studio apartment.

12. Seraph

Seraph Guest

But they've been there for many many years. They were in the same location before all the other surrounding businesses popped up. Now that the location is popular, I'm sure the landlord knew he could up the lease. They probably whined and decided to move.

I think I'll give it a week or two before making a decision. If it's not a big deal going to the new place, I'll just stay for the 6 months. But if it sucks, I'll try to get out of it. A reduction in services has to void the contract somehow.

They went from being in a prominent area of town to being in an industrial area in a building half the size. I know without a doubt that they will go out of business within the year. Everyone is going to try to get out of their contract, so I can see it being rather difficult for me to get out of mine.

It just sucks because the owners are nice people as are the employees. If I go in to try to get out of my contract, it will no doubt result in some type of argument. And if they refuse, what the hell do I do? Keep going there and just ignore the dirty looks, or hire an attorney that I don't have the money for?

13. Drewski

Drewski New Member

oh no, not a 15min commute :ugh:

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

My old gym (Xsport) moved. It moved to a much nicer facility with a climbing wall, etc.

I moved at the same time, tho, so I didn't care.

15. φ

φ Eugenics is the self-direction of human evolution.

Doesn't your uni have a gym?

16. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

That happened to my gym in Iowa City. It never was the same, I switched gyms. the new place wasnt even half the size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.