What the fuck have they done to VMware Server 2.0??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Feb 14, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Memory usage is way up, VMs won't remember the bootup/shutdown settings I give them, I have to run Tomcat Server on my host machines, the admin interface is a fucking browser window...what the hell were they thinking? Why didn't they just update 1.0.x so it supported newer virtual hardware?

Is this really how they want to beat Microsoft? Or are they just shitting on users that don't pay thousands of dollars for support contracts?

2. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

whats the difference between vmware server and vmware workstation other than the fact that one is free and the other isnt?

advantage/disadvantage of both?

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I think the shutdown/bootup settings is user error - you have to move them up and down in the window and prioritize them there.

Browser apps are the way of the future - get used to it.

4. deusexaethera

Yeah, I figured that out broseph; the settings are randomized when I restart the host machine.

Browser apps are fine, but browser UIs are a fucking waste of time. If you're going to write code that runs natively on my hardware and operating system, MAKE A FUCKING USER INTERFACE THAT RUNS NATIVELY AS WELL. It's like trying to drive a sports car with a wagon handle. Why would they force me to use an interface for their product that is so primitive it has to redraw the entire goddamned window every time I issue a command? You know what that's called in the Microsoft world? DOS. We left it behind a decade ago, and for good reason.

5. deusexaethera

Do some reading. I am far from the only person with these issues. And Hyper-V is steadily making inroads on VMware, because apparently Microsoft actually did QA/QC before they released it.

Before you say it, no I will not manually edit the config files. Manually editing config files when there is a GUI that should do the job is Linux bullshit and I will not stoop to it. They can make the UI work properly.

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

:rofl::rofl:

7. deusexaethera

You intentionally ignored "...when there is a GUI that should do the job..." Why? That was put in there specifically because the statement makes no sense otherwise.

8. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

wtf is in your av?

9. deusexaethera

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I'm not sure what you're driving at - the UI doesn't redraw itself? And the UI can be used on any browser on any platform - you no longer have to install a client or remote control the host...

11. SLED

12. deusexaethera

I know how it's rated, but it has the same throw and brightness as a 200-lumen flashlight I also have.

Yeah, I have a couple of $50 chinese flashlights that accomplish the same thing, but this one is a work of industrial art. It's not all about the functionality.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  13. deusexaethera

They have to port the backend code that runs the VMs from one OS to another, what's the big deal about porting the UI as well? They did it with version 1.0.x. Hell, they could've used GTK or some shit like that, like Pidgin does. At least that way it doesn't take 5-10 seconds for the commands I issue to be reflected onscreen. Adding the server/client abstraction layer just slows things down; nothing will run as fast on a local machine as native code.

14. SLED

It's just aluminum, right? Shit i might start making these with a better led and charge tree-fiddy

15. deusexaethera

You'll be hard-pressed to beat the Seoul Semiconductor P4. Trust me, it's bright enough to light up the tops of trees across the street and behind the houses.

This model has three programmable modes, selectable from seven brightness levels and one strobe mode, and a microprocessor that monitors battery health so it can use unprotected lithium batteries (which provide the highest wattage) without risk of explosion. Most flashlights this bright require single-use lithiums or overdrain-protected rechargeables, both of which provide lower wattage.

It's made of aircraft-grade aluminum with hard anodizing. Based on my experience with an older, smaller light made by the same company, I could drop this on concrete and then step on it while trying to pick it up, and it would not be scratched.

All that being said, if you can make your own, by all means do so. The good people on CandlepowerForums will snap them up right quick, if they're good quality. Like these guys, for example:

http://web.mac.com/lummii/Lummi2/Lummi_Home.html
    http://photonfanatic.com/LightsFS.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  16. SLED

This will be my last post since this is OT for this thread, but P4's are not the brightest or best throwing led right now. Even Seoul's P7 is 700-900 lm or 90lm/W. Then you have all of the newer CREE's i.e. the Q5 (228lm @ 1A) and R2 (a few more). Not knocking the P4 at all. Just saying there are better options out there if I were to purchase a light for that much money

17. deusexaethera

And I have some Premium Q5's too. :)

The Seoul P4 gets pretty warm on full-blast, but the critical test is it shines as far and as bright as my Fenix P1D with the Premium Q5 emitter. That's all I really care about from a functional perspective.

The Arc6 is designed to allow modular upgrades in the future. So eventually this bad boy will be sporting something newer and brighter, when I get tired of only being able to see 150 feet ahead of me.