What the FCUK Just Happened to My Backup Harddrive?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by who?, Jul 16, 2006.

1. who?

who? Guest

it was fine all day, then when i tried to move a folder, it said cyclic redundancy error or osmethig...
    then i couldnt access my folders, i even went to msdos prompt and when i typed "dir", the files didnt show up

so i restarted comp and checked disk and there were tons of "sector xxx could not be read"

i get back into windows now and tried to save anything i can, but my mp3s and movies and shit are all gone i think, i cant access the folders anymore

wtf happened? besides the fact i got owned somehow

2. who?

who? Guest

actually i believe only my mp3 files got fucked...
    all other files are ok in my secondary HD
    is there a virus that does this? wtf...

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

who the fuck backs-up their mp3s?!?! :ugh:

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Well if you have 23gb+ of music, you might even do like I do and back it up to two drives.:eek3:

5. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

200gb of mp3's here on a dedicated drive. I need to setup a Raid 1 (mirror) just to backup all that data. I'd hate to lose all that music that has taken me years to aquire.

6. CyberBullets

Wow. Thank god all my music is on my CDs. If i lose it, just re-rip it.

7. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

you = legal rips
    me = no comment :o

8. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

I think my external just failed on me aswell :(

fucking horrible. my music was on it aswell and pictures (Which i have an another drive) but there are a few things only on that drive. Time to look into recovery options. Fuck this sucks :rant2:

9. who?

who? Guest

tell me if theres a way......
    i think my problem is some cyclic redundancy bullshit.....no idea what it means, no idea if i willl get my mp3s back :wtc:

10. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm running a scsi setup that has raid built in, but I don't use it.

If i'm not mistaken, raid backs up everything, right?

I don't want a copy of everything I do on my main drive, just key things like the music.

11. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Bet it was a Maxtor... don't leave it on unless you are using it, those things don't last for shit.

12. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

mine turns on (well the light turns on) but there is nothing moving in there, no sound, no nothing. So it's not even recognized as a drive anymore.

http://www.runtime.org/ has a free demo to see if your stuff is recoverable and if it is you can pay for the full program or find something similar. Good luck :hs:

13. who?

who? Guest

i can see 38gigs used, 2 gigs free......but when i go into the folder, theres nothing to be seen...
    HOLY SHIT it IS a maxtor...came with this comp though, i wouldve stuck with WD... my primary is a 20gigWD from 9 years ago still running strong

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

seagate > *

15. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

:werd: That's all I will buy.

16. who?

who? Guest

lol, i always perceived seagate to be shitty because my highschool comps all used seagate prebuilt systems with celeron processors..
    any opinions on western digital? i am looking at a 250gig WD HD on sale righ tnow in my area...

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The systems may have been shitty, but the drives were durable. Just buy Seagate; it's not worth experimenting with your data.

The WD Raptors are good, if you simply must have a 10,000rpm drive. They're built like brick shithouses, I'll give them that. Noisy as hell, though.

18. deusexaethera

What the hell are you talking about? It takes a long-ass time to rip and file all of my CDs into mp3s in their proper folders. Why wouldn't I make a backup of all that work?

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

wow that's excellent reasoning :rolleyes: I bet their hdds didn't die, tho...

Seagate > *. Period.

20. CyberBullets

Considering i only keep 15-20 CD's on my drive, I'm not worried at all. I get bored of most new music quickly, and always go back to the classic rock.

21. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've had 2 seagate drives die within a month of each other this year. i bought them both in march.
    i guess i got a bad batch, they were both 7200.8 drives, one was a 250 gig, the other a 200 gig. lost all my tivo shows (the 250 was in my tivo...but i had backed up my tivo shows onto the 200 gig. i sent in the 250, a month later i get my replacement, then when i'm reloading my shows back on from my backup, it dies...so i lose)

sucks, but now i backup on 2 different brand drives and dvds for important stuff

22. deusexaethera

Is it just me, or is the whole song-and-dance that you have to go through to back up data getting to be ridiculous? It used to be, you saved your files on a floppy, and twenty years later they're still there. Now our recording media is so high-density that it demagnetizes itself, and it has to be prepackaged with the media-reading-device built in so that alignment doesn't become an issue, but that means that the reader can fail and the data is inaccessible. We need some easier way to deal with data archiving.