TAT What the f**k does a tribal tattoo mean?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by geegel, Feb 16, 2006.

1. geegel

geegel New Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not retarded, I have at least the basic capacity to grasp what a tattoo is and what tribal means. The big problem arises when you put the two terms together.

For example I have this friend who just got himself a nice tattoo depicting a dragon. And now he's bragging about his tribal tattoo. I mean wtf. I'm confused here.

Does the OT large community of experts has anything to say?

Hope that the stuff above made sense :x:.

Best regards, George

2. Mace Windu

Mace Windu OT's Resident Pile of Awesome

I really don't like tribals or chinese or others like that unless they have meaning. I'm getting Bushido written in Japanese this weekend. That has meaning to me, since my step mom, who I love to death is doing it for me. Yes, she does tatts. And Bushido is how I live my life. And since Bushido is Japanese chivalry, I found it appropritate to get it written in Japanese.

3. geegel

geegel New Member

Thank you for your strong opinions and taste, but you still haven's answered my question.

Benedictions

4. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

Tribal tattoo's are a style of tattoo that resembels tattoo art from pacific rim and polynesian tribes usually monochromatic. Now why people get these type of tattoo's that dont belong to any tribe is beyond me, just a lack of individuality i suppose

5. Mace Windu

Mace Windu OT's Resident Pile of Awesome

:o reading comprehension > me

I agree with bryan2137 though.

6. geegel

geegel New Member

A clear answer with only a 19 word count.

The Internet is falling apart, I can feel it :noes:

7. joy division

joy division New Member

for me, unless you share the heritage of the tattoo don't get it> This is why I'll never have any kanji or dragons or chinese style or japanese style or pacific ocean style tattoos....I'm white as fuck. the modern "tribal" is more of an americanized pacific islander tattoo, I forget the name of the guy who started doing them alot but he was asian looking and small and from cali and it was in the early 90s (late 80s??).

Alot of people like to do their own tribal designs and get them on themselves....this is because "tribal" designs are amazingly simple for anyone to draw :rofl:

and what is hard to understand the 2 together? "tribal tattoo" "biomech tattoo" "chinese dragon tattoo" ; its just a label...a label is used to identify things, instead of saying "i got a tattoo" he is saying "i got a tribal tattoo" ; just like saying instead of "i bought a shirt" , "i bought a gay shirt" . Get it?

8. BillyJackNCoke

BillyJackNCoke I've got something to say, I raped your mother tod

I'm thinking about getting Kanji for Strength, Courage, and Wisdom down my calf and it has 2 meanings to me. I'm in Japan right now and this is my first tour I've been in and I've met some awesome friends here and never want to forget it so and the Strength, Courage and Wisdom are three things I was told when I was young to pray for.

9. CPTLA885

CPTLA885 Guest

I have a borneo style tribal on my chest. My sign is cancer, likewise, my tattoo is a crab with the cancer symbol worked in to the center. The tattoo has a strong personal meaning, and the shading has incorporated this into the design. I think if you can work out a custom piece and you want a "tribal" style to it, this is fine, as long as it has meaning.

I think most run of the mill tribals are pretty lame.

10. death poochie

death poochie New Member

I think tribal and kanji tattoos will be the next 'barbed-wire around the bicep'. I know what they say about unsolicited advice, but, here's my unsolicited advice: get the script translated by a native speaker/writer of the language. I spent many tedious hours in the library translating a sacred (to me) phrase into an old script. I'm now going through painful tattoo removal. :greddy: :squint:

11. death poochie

death poochie New Member

:)

Are you SURE the character means 'journey' ? How are you sure?
    If you are 100%, you're one of the few. Kudos on your due diligence (seriously).

12. bigmick

bigmick The plane takes off OT Supporter

Thank you captain obvious :rolleyes: