GUN What stock is this? v.old10/22

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4W4K3, Nov 19, 2009.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

This is my friend's 10/22 rifle. He says it's old but not sure exactly how old.

It has this great wood stock on it that extends to the end of the barrel and has a metal end piece as well. Also has factory sling harness pieces, which I've never seen.

He's thinking about selling it to me as he wants to do a conversion with it. Not sure what I should pay him? It's in almost mint condition.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

It is the international version IIRC, with a mannlicher stock. As it's discontinued and rather rare, I have no idea what a fair value would be.

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Yes, it's factory. They called it the "International" (though I've heard them referred to as "International Mannlicher" as well).

They also made these in a laminate stock. I'm wanting to say the birch were a special run for Wal-Mart from several years back (though it's definitely not an antique or anything).

As for price.... depends on how much you like your buddy. I've seen them for anywhere from $250-$550. RFC would likely bring you the most money, as some of those guys pay crazy money for somewhat obscure Ruger bits. As a shooter, I'd look elsewhere personally.

Welp... it appears the lobster beat me to the punch.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

That's that gay "man-licker" stock ain't it? Licking man junk and shit.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Cool, thanks guys. He's not looking to sell me the entire rifle, just the stock. He said he'd only want $50 for the stock which seemed fair enough to me, but I didn't want to buy it and then him find out it was worth tons of money or something.

I'll post better pics when I get it swapped onto mine.

The other awesome thing about his rifle is it is all metal/machined and none of it is painted over. I know on the newer Ruger's (like mine) they paint the chamber and all that, I think it looks bad. His all looks brushed, very sleek.

I will run the serial and get a date.

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl:

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I just think it looks freaking sweet. Reminds me of an old pirate pistol or something. MY dad has a flintlock kit where the barrel meets up with the stock just like this and I thought of it immediately.

I like my synthetic stock for throwing around and ruggedness, but this wood one is just awesome. And the metal cap on the end really finished it off. The rubber on the butt is shaped just right, and the checkering on the stock is all very well done. It's nothing like a custom stock would be, certainly not anything overly impressive, but it looks a lot better than the new design wood stocks IMHO so I jsut got to have it. :)

8. bulzeye

bulzeye Meatatarian

we sold these at the shop i used to work for back in 97-01. they ran almost 100 bucks more than the standard 10/22's

9. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well I got the stock tonight but forgot my good camera at work. His old 10/22 now looks like this, $320 later and maybe an hour of work...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The kit is actually really well built IMHO, everything fit great and it's all very heavy duty. Nordic Components AR22 conversion kit, Hogue grip, UTG floating rail, UTG adjustable buttstock, I think that's it. Probably using wrong terms, I know little about rifles.

10. eric5678

eric5678 striving for mediocrity OT Supporter

good lord your buddy sure did shit up his rifle

looks retarded IMO

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

The magazine does not match at all, don't like that. And the barrel is too long. He's looking into barrel options (shorter?) or just some kind of sleeve he can put over it and throw a flash suppressor on the end or something to make it look better.

I told him for the amount of money he spent today, plus the money he'd need finishing it to look better, he could have bought the pistol he's been wanting (some kind of 1911), or a shotgun, or like 3 other 10/22's lol. But, it's his money.

12. Mother of God.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

I will buy that stock from you if you get it. Seriously. I have been looking for one for a while. Ruger will NOT sell International stocks unless you provide them proof that you have an International.

edit: would also throw in my regular 10/22 stock

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

We are going shooting on Sunday, should be interesting.

One amazing thing about his original Mannlischer(sp?) was when I took it apart it was missing the bolt buffer. It was just GONE. The bolt had been flying back and slamming into the back of the receiver. There is a dent in the wall, and the back of the bolt is kind of smashed a bit. I was amazed the rifle would work like this, but he said he's put several hundred rounds through it and never had an issue.

Giving him my spare bolt buffer, should be a lot quieter now haha.

15. Bloke

Bloke Banned

that before pic looked a TON nicer.

16. tasty thirds

tasty thirds New Member

Thanks for the link.
    Now I know mine is from 1988.

17. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

My friend changed his mind about selling it but is letting me use it until he wants it back. Kind of "on loan" type of thing, which is fine since I get to use it and keep my $50 haha.

Range tomorrow and Sunday, will get better pics. They went today but I couldn't go so I let him borrow my rifle.

That is messed up Ruger doesn't sell them? Seems a little elitist to me, it's jsut a stock, and it looks good, why can't more people enjoy them?

What sucks now is his original International parts are inside that kit now and they are getting all scratched up from the metal. We took it back apart today to put in the bolt buffer and the receiver is all scratched, barrel a bit nicked up, etc.

18. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

No idea. They just won't. I have hunted high and low for one.

19. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Are you wanting an actual original Ruger stock, or just a mannlicher stock in general? I'm wanting to say that I seen someone producing a mannlichher stock (laminate) for them at one time?

I assume you've asked around RFC? Those guys would probably have one, but who the fuck knows how much they would ask for it. I think most of those guys sit at home jacking off to pictures of factory walnut stocks......

20. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Fucking /yourself

21. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Agent of Entropy

The International is sort of the "luxury" version of the 10/22.

That is probably the reason they won't sell the stocks. They don't want jackasses out there making "clone" internationals and then selling them for profit.

While I don't particularly care for the man-licker style, I think what you're friend did was idiotic. Almost as bad as sporterizing a Garand. If you're gonna do some mod like this, hit Walmart and buy the base model to do it, not some out of production collectors item.

Jesus, WTF?

22. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

It's his gun, he likes it. I don't go driving around town telling people their cars look like shit, or their lawn is gay...gun mods are pretty much the same. He got a red dot sight for it and a flash hider, looking for a "sleeve" of some sort to stick over the barrel and make it stand out less.

Anyways, here it is on mine. It doesn't look as good with the painted receiver, and I couldn't find a good screw to secure the front piece. I may have to order that from Ruger?
    I shot about 1,000 rounds through it yesterday at the range, was very happy with the accuracy. No pics of my targets, I'm not that good, just shooting to have fun really.

Before cleaning; nice little badge pattern? Never seen that before lol
    [​IMG]

What the front looks like with the cap installed
    [​IMG]
    Didn't turn out that great
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not a pro with the camera lol. And I forgot to move the high heels...oops. I'm liking it so far. :)

23. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Forgot to add, those 30 round plastic magazines SUCK in my gun. I had double feeds and failure to feeds every time I tried to use one. I went back to my 10 round mag and had 0 problems after that. I blame them having plastic lips, not steel ones like the factory mags. My friend could shoot them all night, but every time I stuck one in it would jam.

One time I took the mag out after a jam and the round was pointing straight up. Another time it jammed and the round had wound up at a bad angle and bent the casing and smashed the tip of the bullet. After that I just let him use both 30 round clips and I used both factory 10 rounds.

24. beetle

beetle blah blah blah OT Supporter

kinda looks like a 1903 with the end metal piece