What sort of computer problems are there?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Nightshade, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

Hey ...

just curious if someone has a list of computer problems that can happen and what can be done to fix them ...

like the best programs to use and all that sort of stuff ...

what do tech guys use? I would like to set up a little workshop at my house so that I can fix up my machines when they stuff up ...

what do I need to repair them?? inside and outside errors ...

-Nightshade

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I don't know that there is any certain library of softwares that techs use to work on a machine.. It's all based on knowledge and know-how.

EDIT: For whatever reason I thought it said computer 'programs'.

As far as problems, everything is different. The internet is your friend.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2003
  3. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

:werd:

For hardware, just have like a basic toolbox with screwdrivers and pliers and stuff. Computergeeks.com sells a nifty little pack that comes in handy a lot. Software issues can only be taken one at a time, since each is unique.

4. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Years of hacking away...

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

This toolkit has solved every problem I have ever encounterd:

[​IMG]

There isn't a whole lot of software that I use, just lots of tricks that I have learned over the years.

I DO keep a Knoppix CD around that comes in handy.

6. MP

MP New Member

That's a nice toolkit. Where'd youget that from? Mines cheap and the tools are poor quality.

7. Davan

Davan Guest

For hardware, your best bet is to have replacement and test parts. Suspect something, swap it and see.

For software.... just blame it on microsoft. :big grin:

8. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

CompUSSR :hs:

The tools are still kinda cheap, but I got the whole thing for $10.

9. DatacomGuy

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Hehe you just described my life. Reformat, reinstall. :big grin:

11. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

I don't understand what you are talking about ... but you said 'knowledge and know-how' ...

what the hell is that for an answer, dude?

someone asks you and you give a lost answer like that??

come on ... what sort of programs are available that are used in 'IT workshops' ...

how do you check that a disk is fine and all that sort of stuff?

the main problem with computers is the users, isn't it? so what sort of tools are available for the non-tech minded people to use to fix their computer problems ...

to be quite frank, I am sick of paying stupid-arsed fees to IT techs to check out my computer and they check the disk for errors, move all the files from the machine to another one, wipe it clean and check again for errors, and then put the info back again ...

what sort of software utilities are used to do this sort of stuff??

otherwise ... where can I start to learn this sort of technical stuff ... and please noone give me another 'technical know-how' rubbish thingy again ...

:slap:

-Nightshade

12. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I'm sorry you don't like the answers you've gotten, but a lot of it DOES come down to experience. There's no magic utility that fixes computers for people who don't know anything. For example, you might have a system that's running super slow and making a lot of really loud clicks. You run scandisk, Norton Disk Doctor, and the drive makers diagnostic but it shows everything is OK even though it took 15 hours to do a test that should take 30 min. You stick the drive in another machine with a different IDE cable and it does the same thing. Diagnostics say there's nothing to worry about. Experience says the drive is fucked and you'd better clone it while you still can. Non-tech people will get conned into reformatting and reinstalling Windows while experienced techs will say BS and demand the drive be RMAed.

13. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

where can I get more real examples like this??

if that is experience ... and it is shared by lots of techies ... why hasn't someone written about it?

if not written about it, then where can I find someone with techie experience that can throw down some access points to knowledge as far as this sort of stuff goes ...

should I do some sort of Certificate thingy to cover this or something like that??

( I understand the software side of most things, but I would like to know a bit more about the hardware side of things ... )

so ... come on!!

someone give me a complete answer now, please!!

THE REAL QUESTION:

Where can I get access to resources (books, videos, hands-on experience, etc.) that teach / educate a person in experiences that have to do with computer problems ... surely Microsoft has written many a book to explain their multiple 'Blue Screen of Death' messages ...

come on guys, it shouldn't be too hard!!

this should be simple knowledge for you guys to show ...

-Nightshade

14. DatacomGuy

You can't expect to be an IT expert in a day. It has taken YEARS for most of us to get comfortable with our level of expertise.

I'm sorry you didn't like the answer, but thats how it is. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I didn't pick up a book and all of a sudden I know what I'm doing.. You know how most of us have learned what we know? Pick up a machine, create a problem, and work on it until its fixed.. pull your machine apart and put it back together.. build a machine from scrap and solve all the problems that come up while assembling the system, etc...

It's not a lost answer.. you just aren't comfortable with it.

There really are no "programs" in "IT workshops". Your four favorite tools:

A. The operating system provides sooo many features to help diagnose problems. In WIN2K+, you have disk management features that allow you to diagnose disk problems, etc, etc..

B. Norton SystemWorks. Helps solve simple OS problems.

C. Norton AntiVirus (or any antivirus). Always a good tool to eliminate the virus possibility.

D. GOOGLE/The Internet/Newsgroups. Enough said.

Other then that, that's it. There are no real tools that give you exact hardware diagnosis.. there are tools that come with motherboards that give you temps, etc.. but it doesn't solve the problem. Thats where my answer comes in. It's all knowledge and know-how.

No. It's not always the users. Thats a rather ignorant response. Yes - Users can cause a lot of problems, and yes, they can be REALLY obnoxious.. BUT, its not the main problem with machines. If you approach this field with that attitude, you'll last a week. Part of IT work is 60% knowledge, 40% customer service. How are you going to offer superior customer service over your competitors if you think your customers are the problem and cause? Whatever happened to 'the customer is always right'?

Again. Sorry you didn't like the answers you got, but its life man. This isn't like being a Doctor or Lawyer... You don't pick up a book and your all of a sudden an industry genius.. It takes years of working hard and HANDS ON learning before you're any good. There aren't any software programs that do your job for you..you need to learn it on your own.

Your best resource for ANY and ALL problems is the internet. GOOGLE, and GROUPS.GOOGLE.COM...

15. DatacomGuy

They have. Its on the internet. GROUPS.GOOGLE.COM or http://www.microsoft.com/technet/

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=608976

Barnes and Nobles. The internet. Amazon.com. Bookpool.com. Go spend a day in Barnes and Nobles or Books-a-Million in the computer isle or in the library and familiarize yourself with the selection.

There are plenty of tech schools around the country that teach certification classes and technical classes. ITT is one of them..

Come on man. This IS simple knowledge.. We ARE showing you the WAY to knowledge.. We can't hold your hand while you educate yourself. Re-read over this thread completely and see if you can't derive with a solution yourself. We've done nothing but repeat ourselves. You're looking for too much information all at once. Take it slow and you'll get it.

16. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

First, a big :werd: to everything that's already been said.

If you want to start a path to being knowledgeable about computers a good place to start are books like: "How Computers Work", "Computers for Dummies", or pretty much any A+ Certification book. Then, take a machine apart and reassemble it (start with an older machine if you can).

As far as programs, DatacomGuy covered those as well as anyone could, but this stuff really does come down to experience. You wouldn't expect me to be hired at your place of business and be better than you in the first week, right? You develope a certain kind of instinct for whatever you do alot.

17. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

my apologies to all users involved / not involved with this discussion ...

the way that this discussion is headed is around and around and I probably am to blame because I didn't give a proper question at the start, and this whole thing went all over the place, cos the ball rolled off in the wrong direction ...

sorry, guys ... I just have very little patience with machines because to me they seem a bit silly, and I understand the software side ... (as a matter of fact I am doing a Bachelors in Information Systems ... software and networking base ...)

but it shits me off about the other side, though ... like how to check hard drive errors and stuff and how 'you know' that a computer has problems ...

thanks DatacomGuy, you have given me some food for thought, and some programs to look for ...

again, apologies ... but I just have limited patience with being given the runaround ...

:rant2:

-Nightshade

18. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

just about anything can happen - you have to know what you are doing to figure it out. If fixing problems were as easy as consulting a database then we would have robot fixing everythig - real life doesn't work that way.

19. XtremelyCanadian

XtremelyCanadian I play hockey.....EH

There are millions of different things that can go wrong with a computer, there is no book that lists all these problems and there solutions.....The best way to learn is to just screw around with a computer and after a while you'll get more and more comfortable. Computers are too complex to just have a complete list of all the things that can go wrong.

20. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

so is the english dictionary ... but someone wrote about it!!

oh, well ... thanks for all your help, guys ...

:wavey:

-Nightshade

21. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Like most have already said you learn from experience.

I've been tooling with my computers since I was 13.

I've deleted and corrupted my INI, crashed every computer I've owned. Prob did everything imaginable that novice user could do at the time.

Like anything else in life it takes time to gain knowledge about repairing and solving promblems you have with hardware etc....I wish their were magic programs that could solve hardware/software promblems Microsoft would have already made it :rofl:

I now work for my dad as "IT Admin" in reality I'm their computer bitch that has to do everything :greddy: My dad asked me what IT stood for. He thought it Internet something :ugh:

22. DatacomGuy

You're looking for too much information at once.

There isn't going to be a book for many reasons.. but if you REALLY want to sit down and read something, I'll repeat myself for the 10000000th time. GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND. Use the internet - better then any book or library available.