what software does amazon.com and other use for posting reviews?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bob-dc2, Oct 6, 2003.

1. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

Im going to start a new site, where people can post reviews on certain things. but I am having trouble at finding software that can do it.

I dont want a forum based software, like php, I want to have it morel ike amazon.com or audioreview.com

anyone want to gime a link to a company that sells it or know someone that can program software like that??

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

that can be developed in-house pretty easily with a simple database structure. What is your site written in now? And php is not forum software. It is a web scripting language for developing dynamic web content, this forum that OT runs on just happends to be written in PHP.

3. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Yep, I think they have a J2EE architecture that they developed...

4. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

im not too web programming smart. im going to be hiring someone to design it and build it, and I will write the content.

I did a little more searching around, and there is also a thing called "blog" which is kinda similar.
    I would want to have it similar to amazon where it would be a star or numircal rating for each post.
    and also have it so that each person could have a username account where you could display information for them and what not.

and it looks like the new front page will have the blogging feature built into it.

do most web developers know how to do it?

5. SLED

blogs, in your case, are completely different. They might have similar features, as far as making comments about postings or whatever, but i'm guessing you have products that you want comments on right?

6. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

oh yeah, it would have to be tied into a database type of setup.

blog wouldnt work

7. SLED

you definately want to store your user reviews in a database somewhere. My guess is that your website is already database driven?

8. aphoric

YOu just need a web app that will create new entries using entity beans. The UI would most-likely be a combo of JSP and Servlet technology... that is one solution anyway. Here come the Java haters...

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

First thing I'd do is talk to your developers and find out from them what THEY think is the best approach considering:

- Your pocket book
    - What skills they have
    - What your web server can actually do

If any of these 3 are out of sync, you will be left with something that doesn't fit your need.

When you talk to them, let them know you're interested in an open source solution (assuming this is actually true). This will help keep your costs down (don't have to pay for the software and should only being paying the developers for look/feel work and install work). This project sounds small enough that:

- You may not find an "out of the box" solution that will fit since what you want to do is somewhat specific to your needs
    - It may be easier just to spend some bucks and let a developer custom build you a solution (tell them which sites you want them to model your app after)

With that in mind, almost any language will be able to get this job done. Find out what your web server will tolerate and what your web dev guys prefer. If you have PHP available, then PHP would be a smarter choice over say CGI. If you're using Microsoft, than some flavor of .NET or ASP would be the way to go.

10. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

You may be thinking more across the lines of PHP Nuke type software...

11. aphoric

If you are using Microsoft, you can put all that money you have to burn in my Paypal account...

12. bob-dc2

bob-dc2 Expanse

it sounds like there isnt any software aleady out there. but if you do have experience with this stuff, feel free to PM me and possibly something can come out of this