what smartphone should I get

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dranian, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Dranian

Dranian (..)

I've been using a sidekick 2 for a couple years. The camera on my first one broke, so I got a limited edition mr cartoon one. Now the keyboard is lifting off of this one. So I need to get another phone, and given my reliabilty problems with sidekicks I don't think I want a third one. I've been pretty happy with the features on the sk2 but I wish it had a few more things.

I do a lot of talking on aim, web browsing, emails, and some txting so a good keyboard that's easy to type on is crucial. I'd also like bluetooth, gps capability, some sort of financial management software, some basic games would be nice, notepad or to do list of some sort, calendar/appointment datebook, 802.11g would be good, camera, mp3 and/or video playback, a web browser that can view pdf and java (sk2 can't).

Are there any phones that can do all this?
    I currently use t-mobile so I've been looking into the mda a little bit. I know I can get a plan that lets it connect to t-mo 802.11x hotspots which is kinda cool, and it seems like it has most of the feautres I want (dunno if it can do gps?). I don't like the keyboard that much but I could probably get used to it. I like how small it is compared to most other devices in this class like the treo and crackberry.

Are there any other phones that greatly outperform the mda? What's the difference between the mda and the xda2, xda exec, or mda pro? If I got an unlocked xda exec do you think itd work like an mda on tmobile? Like would it be able to connect to tmo hotspots even though they don't really offer that phone?

Anybody know when the motorolla MPx300 is coming out and if its worth waiting for? I don't know much about it but from what I've seen of the mpx300 it looks really good.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Stngray

Stngray A Member OT Supporter

The HTC TyTN and its various rebrands is the hot new pocket PC phone. It doesn't have built in GPS, and the only PDA style phones I know of that do, don't have built in hardware keyboards. They are spendy as hell right now, but are dropping in price every week. These come unlocked from the manufacturer, and will work on T mobile and Cingular. http://mobilitytoday.com/articles/htctytn_first_look.html

3. Dranian

Dranian (..)

yeah, that looks pretty good. it is a little pricey but not too bad. maybe i'll pick up one of those.

4. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

Where, and how much do they go for?

5. Dranian

Dranian (..)

Yeah, I looked into the tytn a bit, it seems there are some decent bluetooth gps recievers that would work well. I found them just researching the phone on google. I'm pretty sold on this phone, specifically the orange m3100s variant, if I can get an unlocked one ( its the best looking rebrand IMO).

Does anybody know if this phone has voip capabilities? Pocketskype or anything? It'd be nice if I could use voip instead of paying for my minutes. I've heard of somebody doing this on an xda2. Anybody know anything about this?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  6. Dranian

Dranian (..)

IN, after doing a lot of research on the many flavors of this phone it seems like it'll do everything I want and more. Video calling, voip, gps(with the right bluetooth adapter), web browsing, gaming, pdf viewing, mp3 and video playback, 3g, gprs, gsm, and a whole bunch of other connectivity options I know nothing about. Like I mentioned before I like the way the m3100 version looks. The downside is it comes locked to orange's network but it seems that its unlockable for a small fee. I just hope that it works well and nothing goes wrong with it since I probably won't have any warranty or support from t-mo or cingular. Its a risk I'm willing to take, and I think I'll buy one on ebay or wherever sometime over the weekend. I may end up going with the htc version since factory unlocked sounds a lot less scary than trying to unlock an orange device and risking it not working on whatever network. Dunno though.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  7. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

good luck with the video calls

8. Dranian

Dranian (..)

Its cool that the phone can do video calls even though I'll probably never use it since I don't know anybody who can receive vid calls.

9. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

no i mean it won't really work on cingular or any other US carrier right now. Sometimes it might but cingular isn't really letting it fly.

10. Dranian

Dranian (..)

Damn, that sucks. I think I read that a US version of this phone was planned to have a PTT(push to talk) feature instead of video calling capabilities. I guess that was more than a rumor. How come they're canning it over here? When t-mobile restricted the features of the sidekick2 it pissed me off, this is just as annoying. I don't even know anybody who could receive video calls, but it would still be nice to have the ability. If they aren't letting it fly maybe I should just get the PTT version so I'd get a feature I could use. I was kinda excited about video calling even without anybody to call. Damn phone companies.

11. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

because cingular execs decided that since the videocalling infrastructure is far from being complete, they'd rather avoid the hassle and just take it out instead of having a bunch of people pissed that this feature doesn't work,

12. Dranian

Dranian (..)

I'd rather have a malfunctioning video call than none at all...wait no I might not actually. Its probably better for my mental health that they took it out. It'll piss me off temporarily, but malfunctioning video calling would piss me off every time I used it. Either way I'm still pretty pissed.