what should some of the first mods be to an LT1 Camaro?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dirtybird43, May 30, 2003.

1. dirtybird43

dirtybird43 Guest

A friend of mine just came across a '96 ex-highway patrol LT1 Camaro. What should some of his first mods be?

2. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

LS6 and 6 speed if neccisary

3. GhostZ

GhostZ Guest

CAI, catback, LT's, gears, torque converter if auto (which I assume it is).

4. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

STB and some SFC's will tighten it up in the handleing department - As well as prevent the majority of squeaks and rattles F-Bodies develop over time.

5. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

If it's a '96 that was used by police, I'm sure it already rattles.

6. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Probably, depends on what kind of duty it saw - Most Camaro cops are highway patrol, and depending on the state of the highway and other factors it may not be to bad. Besides, adding SFC's and a STB can get rid of some rattles since it stiffens up the car and prevents a lot of the flex.

SFC's and STB are still a good purchase.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2003
  7. TwoFast4Lv

TwoFast4Lv Guest

They covered it.

96 was a good year

I am getting 500hp out of my 95 LT1. This is with a factory short block :big grin:

8. dirtybird43

dirtybird43 Guest

Does anyone know what performance parts the government puts on these cars? I know forsure it has 3.73 gears, but some people i've talked to think that all of the cars were chipped.

what do they run stock? I hear anywhere from 13.5-14.2's? Is that about right?

9. Smeckel

Smeckel Guest

Upper 13's Low 14's are about right for a stocker. Another change the police may ahve done is a beefed up cooling system. I know they do for the crown vics and other cruisers so i'd assume they would for a high performance vehicle like the Camaro.

10. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

1996 Police Camaro's started life as a standard V6... The Special Service Package (B4C) added the following:

5.7 liter engine
    6-speed transmission (4-speed Auto optional)
    Dual Exhaust Outlets
    16" Aluminum Wheels
    P245/50ZR16 BW Tires (Z-Rated)
    4 Wheel Disc Brakes
    Low Coolant Indicator
    Transmission Oil Cooler (Automatic Only)
    Alternator 140 amp (50 amp at idle)
    150mph Speedometer
    Air Conditioning
    Battery 525CCA (90 minutes reserve capacity)
    Performance suspension for ride and handling

You can download the complete brochure here:
    http://capricess.com/9c1/brochures/1996/96_b4c.pdf

And 3.73 gears aren't stock from GM, not even an option - Maybe added by the police department that used it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2003
  11. Inconspicuous

Inconspicuous Resident LT1 Guru

Hmmm....I didn't think the B4C package ever had 6 speeds, maybe that's the 1LE package I'm thinking of though. Can't remember for sure.

Either way, if it's a 6 speed, it should have 3.42 gears, the auto can have 3.23's (the "performance" axle), or 2.73's. If it has 2.73's, change them out IMMEDIATELY for 3.42's or better.

First mods should be a cold air system (SLP, Moroso, K&N...the brands from best to worst IMO, plus a few others out there I don't know much about), a decent cat-back system (Flowmaster, SLP, Borla adjustable, a few others), headers (longtubes if you can afford them, but shorties will work too....hey, I'm pushing over 500 HP at the crank with shorties :big grin: ), and a torque converter if it's an auto.

Those are the main bolt-ons out there......you could do 1.6 roller rockers as well, those will help. But man, it doesn't stop there.....heh. :) :big grin:

12. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

1LE could be had with either manual or auto. The B4C came standard with a manual, but auto was an option (and a popular one I bet for pursuit ability). I posted a link above to a .pdf of the original 1996 Special Service (B4C) brochure.

You are dead on with the gear ratio's :bigthumb:

And sweet car :bowdown:
    I notice your 1/4 is with 6psi, when are you going to hit the track with 12?
    low/mid 11's with 12psi would be my guess?

13. Inconspicuous

Inconspicuous Resident LT1 Guru

Thanks. :)

We're planning on hitting the track here in the next few weeks. I'm thinking mid/low 11's are attainable, however, the tracks around here have a nazi-ish reputation over the safety rules. Around here, they require a cage if you are 11.99 or better. And, well, I don't have a cage. I'm also not crazy about installing one either, since I use this car as my daily driver during the nicer seasons. It would kind of ruin the "street" car sense of it, especially with the t-tops.

14. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Doh! I forgot about that! I've always thought 11.99 was way to early to require something as drastic as a cage.
    Ah well, you can at least get one run in before you get kicked off the track :bigthumb: