A&P What should my next purchase be?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Striff, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Striff

Striff Gimme the chocolate OT Supporter

Right now all I have is a XSi and a 17-40mm. Here are some of the pictures I have taken and I want to know what should my next purchase be based on where I am at now photography skill wise.

I want to take more pictures of people, so I am thinking about getting the 70-200mm f/4L. My buddy has this lens and it is really nice. I am thinking of getting the 100-400, but I think that might be overkill since I am not really into wildlife photography.

I sort of want to upgrade my body to something like a 50d, but I don't really know if that will make my images much better. Will it?

Anyways, what do you recommend I get? Here are some of my pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

those examples are some great shots. and glass > new body. i would go 70-200 before i would upgrade bodies, but i would try to get the 2.8 instead of the 4.

3. Striff

You think the 2.8 is worth the extra money? My friend didn't think it would be, but I would like to hear why you think it would. But yea, so glass is better than bodies. But would a body upgrade make my pictures any better or just give me new features to use?

Oh and I bought a B+W polarizer for my 17-40mm. Hopefully that makes my skies less blown out.

4. aCab

aCab New Member

Some bodies will make a difference, but not the 50d. The 5d and 5d2 will, but the 50d will be negligible. For now, build your glass library. Nothing worse than having a nice body and a shitty lens.

If you want a telephoto, but don't know if you need the 100-400, check out any of the 70-200 L series. You can do portraits with them as well as sports, wildlife, candids, etc.

Couple that with a 50 f/1.4 (and maybe another prime) for lowlight use and you'll be set in the lens department.

Another route you can go is with lighting equipment. No matter what you want to do, lighting will effect your picture - it is the basis of photography. Having a good grasp on lighting will help you more than any lens will. And if you think that your landscape shots can't benefit from a little fill flash, you're wrong.

Here's my advice: Figure out what you want to shoot, what you like to shoot, and go from there. That will help you in your decision.

5. aCab

aCab New Member

Oh, what's your budget like too? That makes a difference.

6. Striff

For now I am willing to drop about 1k on a lens.

7. aCab

aCab New Member

Lots of options - a few suggestions:

Zooms
    70-200 f/2.8 IS L (more than $1000, can find used for $1300, but worth every penny IMO)
    24-70 f/2.8 L (the only lens I use anymore (cause I'm poor)
    70-200 f/2.8 L
    24-105 f/4 IS L (great walkaround, but still an f/4, but with IS)
    70-200 f/4 IS
    70-200 f/4
    10-22 ef-s (buy this if you don't plan to go FF soon, and sell your 17-40 to buy something else added to the the leftover $400-500 from your budget)

Primes
    35 f/1.4 L
    50 f/1.4
    85 f/1.8
    50 f/1.8

8. aCab

aCab New Member

oh, and buy used.

9. Striff

Also, what lighting equipment would you recommend?

10. aCab

aCab New Member

What do you want to shoot? Do you already have a flash?

11. Striff

Thanks for the list man.

So the f/2.8 would be better than the f/4 because it would give me better depth of field and would let me take action shots better because the aperture would be more open, enabling me to use faster shutter speeds correct?

12. Striff

I do not have a flash for my XSi. I am interested in the lights for landscapes you were talking about. Also for portrait photography.

13. aCab

aCab New Member

1/2 way there. The smaller the aperture number, the larger the physical aperture opening. This causes a THINNER dof. You are correct about the shutter speeds though.

Action shots are relative. Sometimes, you want some motion, so a slower shutter speed is preferred.

14. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

this

15. aCab

aCab New Member

Can't go wrong with a flash at all (if you know how to use it). Look at a used 580ex or 430ex. For your landscapes, used an eTTL off camera cord, which you can also used for portraits, etc. For portraits, most people on here will tell you go to the strobist route. I'm one of them. You can save money by buying cheap just to get your feet wet. Some people don't like it. Others do.

Like I said, before you spend any money, think about what you are going to shoot. That's the most important step. Don't get caught up in the gear - I did and really regret it now. At the end of the day, your pictures are what count, not what you used to shoot them with.

Just looking at the pictures that you posted, you've definitely got some skill, but i see long shutter speed shots done with a tripod. Do you know how to work the camera well? I suggest you do that first.

If you have a lot of nice gear but don't know anything about the technical side, you are probably going to get shit in here if you post shitty pictures.

If you have little gear and post pictures that are fucking amazing, you are going to get a lot of respect.

If you have a lot of good gear and take fucking amazing pictures, you're going to get a :bowdown:

Learn to life with what you have. It will make you a better photographer. I shot with the kit lens for 8 months and got some of my best shots during that time. Learn your gear's limitations - knowing them will tell you where to go next.