A&P What should my next purchase be....

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by LowLikeWhoaF150, Jun 6, 2006.

1. I could buy all the things I want right now but that'd just slow down my paying off of debt process but in the long run either way I'll end up buying all the things I want and it'll be the same as buying everything at once... eh, if you're confused it's ok...

Anyways right now I just want to buy one thing to improve my equipment inventory. For price I'd like to stay around $500 maybe alittle over.

Here is what I had in mind:

580ex ($400 :dunno: ) + bracket (dunno probably around $100) + off hot shoe cable ($40-$70)

or

AB800 ($280) + Stand ($70) + Medium Octabox ($100)

2. mojito

mojito New Member

depends on what you want to do. from what i've seen, you're more of a onlocation guy, so I'd go with the 580, as you'll want it regardless.

and since you aren't a wedding guy, screw the bracket, just either hold it off camera or get a 20 light stand and put it on there.

you might look for a better strobe pack used on FM or ebay. alienbees are good to start, but there are much better ones out there, and you'll really want atleast 2, if not 3 or 4. mixing light sources can be done, but it really can complicate things

3. mojito

mojito New Member

what cable do you need, the ettl? its the off camera shoe cord 2, usually 60-70 for the canon one

4. This is true but the only reason I'm an "onlocation guy" is becuase I don't have any kind of lighting to do anything at home or somewhere with controlled lighting. If I had lighting that'd be the ideal thing for me.

And I definately agree that I'll need the 580 reguardless and i'd probably end up getting it sooner than later, and it's more useful than sudio lighting which you cannot take wherever you go.

Bracket is definately necessary, also I do plan to jump into weddings. I build websites on the side and a guy at my work is a wedding DJ on the side. He wants me to make his site and I havn't given him a price yet becuase I am thinking about doing it for free if I can get soem advertising spots on his site and if I can get referrals through him... :hsd: Also my friends works for her uncle who is a wedding photographer and she told me that I could get a job if I put together a portfolio (plus I have all my own equipment so that's a big plus) but that'd only be a part time thing (when I have time).

5. yea I don't see it on b&h only the nikon off shoe cord
    basically i need something that'll go from my hot shoe to my 580ex.

6. Maybe I'll get the 580ex + cord + bracket and 2 stands from alienbees so I can start getting ready for lights. :hsd:

7. mojito

mojito New Member

light stand is a light stand, I'm sure theres better for cheeper ones out there. gets some sandbags from a local shop or make your own (why ship sand?)

8. sand?

the light stands don't come with sandbags. who said anything about shipping sand/sandbags? :confused:
    maybe I just don't understand because I'm tired :hs:

9. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

you'd get more use out of the 580EX set up.

why use sand? i'll give you some bags of rice.

10. mojito

mojito New Member

you use sandbags to make sure the stands don't tip over whether from uneven ground or some kid kicking them, or you pulling too hard on a cord, or more regularly the model tripping over a cord. just a simple cloth bag filled with sand drapped over a leg or 2 to keep it upright

11. :mamoru: true but I never said anything about buying bags of sand online and having it shipped to me. That's how you were making it sound. :hs:

12. Does anyone know where I can get the canon hot shoe to flash cable? :x:

Also does anyone have a flash bracket or know of a good one to get?

13. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

if you are just going to get one light, id say the 580...you can hook it up on a stand with an umbrella if you want.

14. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

He can get those from his model/girlfriend :rofl:

15. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

get the 580 first, i always have great results just bouncing it on the hot shoe.. see how you go.

a couple of 580s would be pretty flexable too, both in the studio and out of. sure the AB is nicer than a speedlite, but you can take your 2x 580s to the car show as well, good luck lugging the AB.

16. natelam

natelam New Member

The AB Octaboxes are non-collapsable so they are pain to carry around and set up just to warn you. You don't need AB stands, you can find cheap ones from Calumet and just get a hotshoe umbrella adapter. I think Chimera makes a speedring adapter if you want to use softboxes, but with hotshoe mount flashes, umbrellas are a lot easier to work with.

Chimera speed ring

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ls&Q=&sku=13778&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

For the umbrellas and your 580's you need a multiclamp adapter for your light stands and umbrellas...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ls&Q=&sku=42160&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Check that out it's pretty decent quality.

Why do you need flash cord, don't the 580's have wireless capability? Pocket Wizard? I'm more familiar with Nikon's CLS, so sorry if I'm ignorant about the Canon.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  17. natelam

natelam New Member

Flash bracket just for para-camera use?

Stroboframe makes good ones, not cheap, and if you were getting into event work I'd look at a Metz and a power pack rather than a 580.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=6993

18. :mamoru:

trying to take rice from an asian is like trying to take chicken brom black man

19. Yea there's an IR piece that plugs into the hot shoe and can control up to 5 lights I think. It's like $220 I think, there's a package on B&H (2 580's and the IR piece) $950 or somwhere around there. I was really considering getting that....

20. Yea there's an IR piece that plugs into the hot shoe and can control up to 5 lights I think. It's like $220 I think, there's a package on B&H (2 580's and the IR piece) $950 or somwhere around there. I was really considering getting that....

21. Derrict

Yea there's an IR piece that plugs into the hot shoe and can control up to 5 lights I think. It's like $220 I think, there's a package on B&H (2 580's and the IR piece) $950 or somwhere around there. I was really considering getting that....

22. copy cat

23. Derrict

well, you posted it twice

24. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Get a 580ex first, learn how to use it / bounce it, then get another 430 or 580, and if needed a transmitter.

You'll be overwhelmed by the features & positioning options of the ST-E2 & 2x speedlites.