What should I upgrade next for my computer to run AoC on the higher settings?

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by Monotone, May 26, 2008.

1. Monotone

Monotone New Member

Currently I have to run the game with 0 Ft of ground viewing distance just to get 10FPS and the game still slows to a crawl whenever I'm around a lot of people. I'm not very good with computers, but here are my specs according to right click my computer > Properties

Intel Celeron D CPU 3.33GHz
    1.5GB of RAM
    Nvidia geforce 6600 OC

My guess is my processor, since I have already upgraded everything else since I have had it.

2. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

http://forums-us.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=13390

There is obvioulsy room for upgrades. However, you probably don't have it set up right. Check out that link, it's a thread on the AoC forums to tell you how to get the most out of what you have. I went from 10 fps to ~23 fps

3. Vistrix

Vistrix So Say We All

Could you possibly copy and paste it for the European players? :x:

4. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Game Mechanics - Setting Resources

"this is a portion of the guide that may continually become outdated and require change. So, take from it what works for you, and notify me if something changes so I can update it"

"Currently a work in progress"

Audio Options
    -- Not Implemented Yet

Video Options

Default Resolution: The higher the resolution, the more performance hit you will encounter. Using windowed mode, and lowering your resolution slightly will improve performance greatly.

From my own numbers, decreasing resolution to "half" of your normal value will increase your FPS by 20 to 25 frames.

Also, for those of you using dual view versus horizontal span for your system video cards, there is another adverse hit for dual view users. I've seen a 5 to 10 FPS positive difference using horizontal span versus dual view. This really only applies to those of you with 2 monitors. I'm pretty certain this has to do with the drawing mechanism in place between monitors.

Overall Quality

If you click on Low, Medium, or High, it will completely erase any custom settings you make. Therefore, you should set one of these to start with before making custom changes.

If you are on a low-end system or medium-system, start with Low and work your way up through the custom settings.

If you are on a very high end system, go with Medium and work your way up through the custom settings.

High should only be used if your system can truly handle it. You'll know right away when you enter the game and find that you are showing 5 FPS, then you will want to change this. If you set this to high and go in and find yourself averaging 20 FPS, you are doing "GOOD" but you may want to lower via custom and increase your FPS to 35 FPS which is a very playable state.

Anti-Alias Quality (Recommended none or 2x)

Controls the jagged appearance around objects. You can set this to none, 2x, or 4x. The higher the setting the better visually the game will appear, but you will be hit with 5 to 7 FPS decrease per setting. This may differ on your system.

View Ranges (recommended: 2000m)

Controls how far you can view in the game. If you increase this greatly, it will decrease performance. This is something you will have to tailor for yourself. I personally think 2000 m is a good start. Work your way downwards/upwards depending.

Advanced Video Options

Global

DirectX 9 vs. 10: I can't offer any huge differences in performance in this section as of yet. They appear to either a) be the same and not implemented, or b) offer no negative performance hit either way.

Shader Model Version: Shader Models by default were set with the type of directX you were using. So, anyone who used 9.0c were set to 3.0 by default. However, there is a "CONSIDERABLE" difference between using 3.0 and 2.0. If you set to 2.0, Framerate is substantially different. However, due to the autodetect method in place, anytime you make further custom changes, it automatically forces it back to 3.0. So, for my system, I force it to 2.0 at the end of altering custom settings. UNDERSTAND THAT SETTING THIS OPTION TO 2.0 DISABLES SOME OPTIONS THAT FOLLOW, PARTICULARLY PARTICLE EFFECTS. So, this is one of the bigger reasons why setting this to 2.0 on low systems is important.

Shadows

Shadow Quality: Decides how the shadows are mapped. Shadows can be mapped from everything, or from the character. If you are having extreme issues with FPS, disabling this feature will definitely improve performance. Changing this to "from the character" will not offer a lot of improvement. Therefore, I don't recommend using this setting.

Shadow Resolution: Changes the quality of the shadow resolution (Recommended Low for most low to mid-end systems, Medium for high-end systems).

3D ambient occlusion quality: Adds realism to local reflection models. Recommended (LOW)

View Ranges

High quality view distance: Controls the density texture pixels on the machine. Recommended (1-5% for low end machines, 6-30% for mid end machines, 31%+ for high end machines)

Low quality view distance: (Recommended: 2048m) Determines the cut-off point for rendering. Regardless of performance, you want to keep this "maxed". If you lower this setting then you will see "painting" or mesh like areas that feel like they are being painted as you walk. This causes a lot of visual trouble and can be quite disturbing.

Particle view distance : IMPORTANT : This setting controls how far particles can be rendered. It includes the spell particles and spell effects that surround you via auras. This control can greatly "reduce" FPS if set to anything above 0. Yes, 0. Setting this to any mid to high settings will cause up to 15 to 20 FPS drop just by itself. If you are having severe problems, set this to 0. Unfortunately, it may interfere with the glowing effects around objects like loot, mining ore, tradeskills, etc. So, set this to a very low setting if you can't live without it.

NPC view distance : Controls how far away you can see NPCs and monsters. I recommend setting this to mid range (250ish) for low to mid end systems and max for high end systems. Luckily, this does not create huge FPS issues and can be set pretty much the way you want.

NPC high quality view distance : controls the high quality LODS for NPCs. Recommended to keep this set to MAX. I would not decrease this unless absolutely necessary, regardless of FPS issue. It does not have a huge effect on FPS but does on playability and viewpoint.

Grass view distance : Decides how far grass is rendered initially. Unfortunately, even if you have grass turned off, this setting still affects gameplay, visibility, and FPS. If you set to minimum, heavily populated grass areas will spring to life and pop up when you are right on top of the areas. This has a very disturbing effect on the eyes and makes playing at minimum settings horrible. Recommend to set it outwards at 75m and you should be fine for low end. Medium and high end systems set as you will.

Grass density : Set this to the exact same value you set for Grass view distance. Rendering is less eratic when set to similar values.

Ground quality view distance : Decides how far high resolution ground will be rendered. If you set this too low, it will be disturbing depending how far out your camera viewpoints are set. I recommend setting this to a minimum of 75m for low end systems and 100m for medium.

Textures

System memory texture cache size : Determines the amount of system memory to use for texture caching. This was designed for laptops that use shared memory with their video. Recommended for desktops to be set at 0 MB. However, I'd like an official response from anyone on this particular setting. I've heard folks say that with Pentium R type chips and ATI cards, setting this to max has helped. Anyone want to offer clarification on this setting?

Texture filtering quality : Determines the filtering type used to find out the best color to place in the pixel area and where it's centered. Depending on the type used, blockiness, artifacts, and shimmering could occur. Recommended (Anisotropic) Bilinear and Trilinear are lesser filter qualities but both create a blurriness of objects depending on the type of angle they are rendered and viewed from. Anisotropic is the standard for most of your 3d viewing in games today and therefore, even if you are encountering FPS issues, you should keep this set to Anisotropic.

Texture Resolution : Recommended (LOW) for low to mid end systems.

Anisotropic filtering quality : Only applies if you are using Anisotropic filtering, which you should. Determines the overall quality of the texture. Recommended (1-3) low end systems, (4-10) mid end systems, (11 - 16) high end systems.

Enable parallax mapping : Determines how deep and real the default textures look (i.e. walls look more real and visual) This may or may not have a negative impact on your FPS. You should test this for your own system as each video card may or may not handle the setting differently.

Enable advanced transparency : This only works if you have anti-aliasing on. I'm not quite sure what this feature does and have not used it. Therefore I cannot commend on it's performance.

Remove foliage around character : Recommended (checked for low end systems) and unchecked for mid to high end systems.

5. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

That is all the important stuff, there is other stuff on Virtual Memory, and Defragging etc...

6. andrew

andrew Ramona Flowers

:mamoru: so i have to run thegame on low settings. if i have it on medium the screen blinks and the computer beeps at me. :o

7. Sr20magik

Sr20magik OT Supporter

Sounds scary :noes:

8. New Character

New Character Active Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, I was wondering if I would be able to run AoC with the help of that guide and my current spec with at least 20fps. I don't care about the settings, they can be as low as they have to be aslong as it will run:

AMD Athlon 3800+ 2.4GHZ
    2GB RAM
    8600 GT 256MB

9. niners

niners OT Supporter

you can definitely run it new char

10. LS1S13

LS1S13 New Member

www.srtest.com

11. New Character

My processor failed for recommended : ' (

12. niners

niners OT Supporter

nah man...i've been playing on a: get this: 2ghz athlon 64 3000+, 6800gt with 1gb ram. yeah, i lag to all hell, and sometimes mobs will attack me before i can see them, but shit i'm still leveling lol. at one point i believe i had 1200 ping and 0.7 fps, but that was just one occassion. regularly im able to run around and play relatively smoothly on low. just today i got the rest of my parts in so im building a 3ghz core 2 duo/8800gt/2gb ram system, but your system will definitely run it on low settings.

13. Jcxzero

Jcxzero OT Supporter

my processor fails for recommended, but I play on MAX settings with exception of no shadows and 2x anti-aliasing only, and I get 30+fps nearly all times.

14. New Character

Aight, thanks for the help