What should I sell this BMW we own for?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by RLich8, Apr 3, 2009.

1. RLich8

RLich8 New Member

My family owns a BMW 325Ci Convertible. It's a 2001 with 58000 miles on it and it's automatic. It's a silver car with a grey interior. Upgraded bavarian soundworks audio system.

The car is pretty clean. Not perfect but very well maintained. Only one issue is that the squirters for the headlights don't work/leak.

Car has a salvage title from colorado, we bought it in April of 2007 from a local guy and we found out when we took the car to trade it in for a VW Passat Sedan. We don't know why it has a salvage title, whether it was in an accident or whether it was totalled for some other reason.

KBB says about $11,165 in "good" condition, however, I don't know how to gauge what to ask for since it has a salvage title.

My family wants to be 100% honest and fair about the car, even though we were sort of misled when we bought it. We just don't want anything to come back to haunt us with this car.

Advice and opinions/comments are welcome. Thanks!

2. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Have you had anyone look the vehicle over for damage? To be perfectly fair you should have a BMW dealership that does prepurchase inspections give you a written report. This is a way to help ensure transparency. Its not the only thing because then the buyer should also get his own report done by another shop/mechanic. This would give you a good starting point and hopefully a buyer will come along who is interested in car not just for what it is but for the fact that you are cooperating and telling them more about the condition. I don't think a salvage title constitutes "good" condition. I wouldn't buy a salvage title car for more than 70% of good condition but even that might be too high for a vast majority. You might just want to trade it in to a dealer and let them deal with the hassle and problems that come with a salvage title car. Take my advice at your own risk but good luck nonetheless!

3. RLich8

RLich8 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I totally agree---salvage doesn't mean 'good' but that was definitely just a starting point. I will take that stuff into consideration, though, and we'll see what happens. This thing is going to be a pain in the butt to sell, I think. Thanks man.

4. ///M

///M New Member

I'd say about 7500-9000 depending on actual condition it is in right now :o

5. RLich8

RLich8 New Member

That sounds about fair. I'm not even the owner, so I could care less, but they've delegated this to me and I know nothing about salvages. But, about that amount does seem to be the consensus.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You wanted to trade a BMW for a Passat. :rofl: :rofl: :hahano: :rofl:

7. amac88

amac88 New Member

Id never buy a salvage title car, and many people out there wouldnt either. You may not get much for it.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If I were buying it with the intent to tear it completely apart and put it back together, maybe as a track car, I'd buy a salvage-title car because I'd know I'd find all the problems. But I wouldn't buy one as a daily driver.

9. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

My ex a few years ago had a salvage VW Jetta. It was rear-ended and the airbags deployed. She never had an issue with it as long as she owned it.

I'm with the guys above. I wouldn't buy a salvage title car, but there are people that do.

10. notaniceperson

notaniceperson -I'm an ASSHOLE!

salvage cars = airbags filled with confetti!

makes the accident look like a party!

11. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Do you know the story behind the salvaged title? In my experience, cars that were salvaged from water damage are WAY worse than cars that were totaled in an accident when two doors and two quarter panels were replaced? Was th frame of the car bent? Was it fire damage (prob. not)?:ugh2:

12. amdspitfire

amdspitfire New Member

best thing to do with salvage cars is to keep them if they are not causing any problems for you. Carfax should tell you why it was salvaged.