What should I look for in a paint shop?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by deusexaethera, Apr 30, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My dad's got an old minivan, still runs well, but it's got some rust spots forming in places. It needs to get re-sealed this summer, or the rust is going to start eating through the sheet metal, and at that point the thing's done for.

Since it's old, I'd prefer to take it to an inexpensive place to get the rust spots dealt with, but my family has had a bad history with Maaco, so I'll be damned if I'm going to go there again. So how should I go about finding a paint shop that doesn't cost a fortune, but does work that'll last more than a year?

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

paint? lol

edit: all i did was read the title and respond.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Cheap paint jobs are a crap shoot. Quality repainting runs $2500 and up. No real way around it unless you do a lot of prep yourself. You might want to look into some of the technical schools in your area that teach body/paint. You might be able to get the van in as a class project. Upside is that you usually only have to pay for supplies and the instructor supervises. Downside is it can take 2-3 months for them to complete the work.

4. deusexaethera

Sounds like Scott had something useful to say. Too bad you didn't.

5. kuzikan

kuzikan New Member

well having worked around body shops for years, both good and bad, here is my .02 cents;

paint jobs from anywhere can be great as long as the prep is great. ive seen people spend $500 a gallon on paint and it came out like crap. ive also seen $30 paint come out better than a $10,000 paint job. it only takes a day tp paint but as much as months to prep. yes the most expensive paint job i've ever seen was $50,000 paint alone was $1000 a gallon

if you actually go to a body shop look for piles of "bondo" dust on the floor. it is a tell tale sign they use a lot on the cars for smoothing a car. if they use it sparingly that great, but not to cover dents.

look at the booth, if there isnt a dedicated booth, with proper air cleaning system get out quick. if there is one with plastic doors get out quick.

also ask to see the cans of paint they use after. tell them you want some touch up paint from what they actually used. sometime body shops say they use good quality and then switch it after. just like body panels. if they say they replaced something, tell them you want to see the old one before they paint. a lot of body shops say they use original "oem" parts but really use cheap knock offs.

hope that helps, if not, i'll try to return your 2 mins later

6. deusexaethera

Well, it looks like I'm doing it myself. Yesterday evening, my dad busted out the power drill and the brass brush and stripped all the old paint and rust off, down to the bare, shiny metal, then I gave the metal and surrounding paint a good sanding to rough up the surface. Then I washed it with alcohol and distilled water with a dab of car soap to remove the dust, and used a blowdrier to get it dry before priming. I sprayed on four coats of primer, sanding lightly between coats. Tomorrow, the paint goes on.

Anything I should know about how to blend the edges of the repaint into the existing paint, so it doesn't look like I did it in five minutes with a can of Krylon?

- - -

Side note: I love Mopar! I was actually able to buy cans of paint pulled from the same batch as the paint used on the car at the factory. Show me another carmaker that thinks ahead like that.