What should I look for in a home theater system for around 500 dollars?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kit99bar, Nov 17, 2003.

1. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

I am a total newb to this. I just want something to have nice sound when I watch dvds. I also need a dvd player and receiver. My roommate just got a 43 inch samsung DLP tv so I figured a lil sound system should go with it. I am worried I might get something "too cheap" and it won't have the most advacned and nicest connectors? much thanks!

how is this?
    http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=dendht1000dv&svbname=48

2. 04

04 Guest

From what I hear that Denon is a decent enough set.

What do you mean by "too cheap"? Even a 200 dollar HTIB would be better than just using the tv speakers, so its hard to go wrong there. If you want reference high levels of output, or bass that goes down into the subsonic range, or you are totally obsessed with getting a flat, neutral sound, you will have to spend more, otherwise that HTIB should work fine.

3. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

ok if no objections from the audio gurus, i'll go for this system :big grin:

4. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

if you have to get a HT in a box, Denon and Onkyo make good ones.

But let me ask you the same question I ask all my poor friends who buy TVs and neglect their audio needs?

Why spend so much on a TV and go cheap on the stereo and DVD? For a lil bit over thousand, you can get a really really nice Home theater setup that will complement your nice TV as well. ($150 DVD plyaer + $300 receiver + $600-700 5 speaker setup from Axiom, Athena, Definitive or others)

5. 04

04 Guest

I agree with vtec18pwr too. I personally spent a lot more on my audio system than my monitor. It all depends on the person though :dunno:

6. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

7. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

you could make a killer set for under 500 bucks if you're willing to do a little bit of work yourself...

www.partsexpress.com

8. bryan305

bryan305 Lurker OT Supporter

yamaha puts out a decent set for ~500 with reciever, 6 speakers and a sub

9. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

if you go up to $800, Crutchfield has a Sony ES DVD-SACD player/receiver combo for $400 and an Infinity Entra 5 pc speaker system with sub for another $400.

That system should kill anything else in that price group and should blow away the average listener.