What should I know before buying a 1998 A4?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by CRFTSY, Aug 14, 2007.

1. CRFTSY

CRFTSY New Member

I really love the looks of this car even to this day.. but it seems everyone on here hates Audi, especially the a4... although that seems to be more the 2000-2005 models..

Am i setting up for failure or can i depend on this car?

2. compu_85

compu_85 Woooo! 60HP!

Do you plan on doing some of the work your self? Is this a 1.8t? If a syn oil wasn't used (like the manual says to) they can have sludge problems.

-Jason

3. CRFTSY

CRFTSY New Member

No - I really don't know much about cars besides the basics - i leave all that to the pro's, specifically a guy my family has trusted with our cars for many years now.. though i'm not sure what he'd be able to do with a german car, as I don't know what he's worked with outside of our own cars.

And the one I'm looking at the closest right now is a 99' 2.4 actually.. but there are some 98's i'm considering as well.

4. danonboost

danonboost I invite you

Plan on random annoying failures like "oh that insanely hot chick next to me at this light is trying to tell me something...let me roll my window down. Oh looks like that isn't going to happen."

When little electrical things do go wrong the parts tend to be pricey.

5. Sirius

Sirius OT Supporter

I've heard that buying one of these cars is NOT recomended if you can not do some work on it yourself. And yes, ask for all maintenance records.

Also check out the A4 section on VWvortex.com, they will know the car alot better than some of us

6. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

if it's a v6, i have that engine (30v) in a passat and it's treating me well....i THINK 98s may still have the 12v, I know 99s don't

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Are you a member of PassatWorld?

8. Doodie head

Doodie head i have no legs

check control arms, timing belt, MAF

9. NomadicPants

NomadicPants Subaru > *

If it's a 1.8t, I'd avoid it at all costs. Those things are notorious for their timing belts (which could set you back 4k in one trip) and all German cars have a myriad of electrical problems. Since you aren't that big into cars (i.e. you can't fix things yourself), I'd shy away from an Audi in general. Those cars are expensive as hell to fix, even if you trust your mechanic. I was looking at a 98 A4 myself (2.7 Quattro) but decided against it because the maintenance records on those cars are just way too lengthy and pricey.

Passat's are basically the same car, just not as luxurious.

10. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I'd only avoid it if the previous owner was a complete moron who didn't get the T-Belt and all associated parts replaced every 90k. Otherwise, the T-Belt system is just as reliable as any other automakers. People need to stop riding the 1.8T's nuts about the timing belt snapping when, more often than not, it is caused by either....

A: Not getting it done when you're supposed to. (It's called routine maintenance for a reason people, make it a ROUTINE!!)

B: Over revving the shit out of the car and driving like a retard. Rubber belts can only take so much strain for so long before they fail. If you plan on driving like this, you might wanna look into 45k mile T-belt change intervals to be safe.

If it does snap, say hello to your new engine, because, essentially, that's what you're gonna need. So get service records for the car. Playing catch-up on routine maintenance, especially on a German car, can be ridiculously expensive.

11. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

inactive.

12. deusexaethera

13. deusexaethera

I agree, but to be fair, there really is no damn reason why they couldn't have used a chain on all the engines, not just on the W8.

14. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Well, if that's the case, why does anyone use a belt?? Honda/toyota/hyundai, pretty much everyone uses timing belts. They claim it makes the engine quieter, I call bullshit too, but you can't fault VW for using a belt like everyone else does...

15. deusexaethera

Uh, yes I can. They use chains on the engines that they know will cost them thousands in warranty repairs; there's no reason they can't use chains on all of them.

16. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

What I'm saying is...How many other companies do the exact same thing?? Honda/Gm/Ford/Toyota/etc.. So you really can't say it's VW's fault when virtually every other major automaker does the exact same thing. Do I think every engine should have a chain, hell yeah, or better yet, gear to gear drive. But it's not gonna happen. Toyota and Nissan I know have started putting the chains back in, but there are still more cars with belts than chains. And almost all of them have catastrophic engine failures if the belt breaks. Not a whole hell of a lot of non-interference style engines being built.

17. Lucian Deville

Lucian Deville New Member

Hi

We've had a couple of Audis, the 2:3 type eight and the A4 V6.

The cars are generally bullet proof other than the ball joints.

Thanks so much

Lucian Deville: London SW3 :) :)