GUN What should I get for my next gun, (.45 cal)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Michael Westen, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

sometime between now and spring, Im getting my CCW permit, and another gun to carry, Right now im happy with my XD9 4" but ive always wanted a .45 and the ballistics of a .45 are better suited for self defence.

I have been looking into the BERSA thunder .45, ive seen nothing but good things about the other models, the thunder .380, and thunder 9

a 1911 or browning hi-power are in my mind as well, but obviously more expensive guns. I know im not buying a glock, ive shot many and I hate the feel of them, and dislike the mag release, slide release etc.

CN: I love 1911's but they are pricey and more effort to maintain them, and the BERSA felt really solid and good in my hands, waiting for some range time with one and some more people that have had experience with them before buying one.

also, what are the going rates for used models and any reccomendations?

2. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

You can scratch the Hi-Power... they're only available in .40 and 9mm.

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Springfield Loaded 1911

4. Michael Westen

thanks for the info, I read up on the design characteristics, and heard alot about them, never knew exactly what they are chambered in.

5. soccaian

soccaian New Member

we sell a LOT of bersa's at gun shows. the CCW instructors here recommend them.

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Ruger just came out with a very nice .45 in a completely new design. Also if you don't like the cocked and locked of a 1911 and have the money, look at Para Ordinance's LDA models. DAO triggers in a 1911 design. Smith & Wesson and Taurus have DA models as well.

If you like 1911's check out the Springfield Mil Spec models or the Rock Island Armory models. You can find them for under 400 bucks and are very nice for a basic model.

You have a wide variety to pick from and most non 1911 models can be found for under 450.00

7. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

STI ranger II

8. soul assassin

soul assassin GTR eater

9. Version 2.1

Version 2.1 Member

Para-Ordnance produces a very fine weapon, with a variety of models to choose from. Models using their double stack mags can be a bit bulky for those with smallish hands, though.

10. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

I plan on getting a .45 eventually. It'll either be some kind of 1911, or the HK USP

11. cruzr180

cruzr180 I'm addictive!!

sig p220

12. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Glock 21 or Glock 30

13. Michael Westen

tried them both, as before mentioned, I dont like the ergonomics of glocks.

I guess im going to shop around for some 1911's and see what deals I can find, I love em, just dunno if thats what I want next yet. Still want to have some time with the BERSA models too.

HK usp is very bulky and way too much money imo....

14. shohan

shohan New Member

Are you not suggesting Hi-Points anymore? :mamoru:

Seriously, I'll put a 2nd vote for a Sig P220.

15. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

My 1911 is in pieces all over the kitchen counter waiting for Fed Ex and UPS to get my parts to me. Gonna be a mad rush to get it together in time to get it qualified for my CCW next week.

16. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

It really depends on what you want, and how much you're looking to spend. I bought my RIA 5" 1911 for $309 out the door. One of the best pistols I've bought.

17. Michael Westen

as far as standard rounds go, the .45acp has more stopping power and is less likely to exit a body and hit somebody else as well, a good thing when it comes to defense in public.

beyond that, i dont know much about different kinds of ammunition, since most of the local places only cary your basic fmj rounds.

also, ive always been a recreational shooter, never shot any other type than basic range ammo. If theres any sites that break down the science of ammunition, please tell :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  18. Otsego Hive

Otsego Hive Wait, what? We're being swapped?

:werd: my dad and brother have them. Fantastic for CC and that'll prolly be my CCW

19. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

the bigger is better theory is mostly myth. 9mm is the widest used caliber in the world, has proven itself time and again in both law enforcement and military use in stopping a target. .45 is a great round but so is the .40/.357 SIG/.45GAP/.380
    Since all shootings are unique, lab results mean less than actual real world results. I have seen 9mm do one shot stops, and have also seen people take 7 rounds of .45 and still advance. Does that mean one is better than the other? Nope, it means that different circumstances cause different results. Get someone on PCP and you could blow his leg off with a .50 and he would still keep coming.

I personally used to carry a .45 for the same reasons, back in the 60's and 70's, when bullet technology was not nearly as good as it is now, the .45 had a slight edge. Now though, the 9mm is just as reliable as the other calibers. I switched after experience showed me different and now carry a 14 round 9mm for daily carry and know that I am just as safe (if not more so due to number of roounds available) than with my 1911.

20. Michael Westen

So perhaps I dont need a bigger slug, but perhaps just a better sized gun for concealment, The BERSA thunder is also chambered in 9mm, the ultra compact model that is, the thunder .380 is a ppk clone, ive heard lots of positive things about it.

a 1911 sounds like a good match, i like full size, dont really want to compromise accuracy and the single stack 1911 design is slimmer and more comfortable?,

so how about holsters, whats a good place for a CCW weapon? sorry about all the questions, I shot alot of rifles when I was much younger, am just now getting deeper into the hand gun area :)

21. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I've heard great things about the Bersa as well. If you're looking for something inexpensive and small also check out Makarov's. Great deals around and very small.

That said I also love my 1911, although I haven't carried it yet as my holster is still a few weeks out. THere are many different holster manufacuters that all make great leatherwork. Then again some like Kydex. IWB, OWB...really depends on your body type and what's comfortable.

22. Michael Westen

I just need to check out some shops where i can look at things closely (holsters etc), I have a Bianchi accumold for my XD, it does the job but its not really concealed.