MIL What should I do?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by tan koi, Jan 16, 2010.

1. tan koi

tan koi Guest

I am separating from the army in about two months. I am a 22 year old SGT and I work in signal.

I was planning on going to school to finish up my BSc (3 years left), but I received a job offer for signal work in the northeast that appears to have a 65-70k/yr salary. That's not bad a bad offer considering my only real experience is from 3 1/2 years in the army. It seems like a good prospect. I don't know if doing this would be foolish though - a degree will allow me to earn more in the long run.

ETS/retired crew, help me make my decision, because I'm bscly torn :wtc:

2. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

you could probably take classes while working

3. honorpenguin

honorpenguin New Member

go to AMU the army should pay for it since your and you get your GI bill

4. Kafka

Kafka New Member

That's a greater starting salary than most bachelor degree holders start with in entry level positions.

I would suggest taking the job and taking classes on the side, even if it takes you an extra 2 years to do so.

5. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

After 9 years in the Army working a communications MOS I left the military in 01 for a job as a Network Engineer with WorldCom. In less than 3 years I was fed up with the lack of work ethics demonstrated by the majority of civilians I worked with, and I rejoined the military.

6. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

take the job and finish ur degree online. if ur working for a big company they probably will have their own tuition assistance program so u might not have to use ur own gi bill. if u find out u hate the civilian life and ur degree is finished u could always come back as an offcifer

7. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

X2

8. tan koi

tan koi Guest

This is what I'm looking at. I'll probably finish my AA and transfer to a BSc program at a brick and mortar school. I can't beat cash, especially when it's my target salary after college.

I just found out the company does work wherever the army is (Hawaii, Germany, Italy, Belgium, etc.) so there's going to be a lot of room for national/international travel.