SRS What should I do?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Penetration, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

I hope this is the right place, nothing emotional, but it could possibly play a big role in how my life turns out, anyhow...

I am almost 22, now have 0 debt besides a small student loan payment (under $200 a month). I've got somewhat of a career as a field technician fixing bank machines and other electronics. Been doing this for a year and enjoy it most of the time, however I have been relocated to an "isolated" oil town, and have not gotten nearly as much support as was originally promised, I am left to service a pretty big area myself (over 50,000 sq miles). It is extremely stressful. I love the work but hate the responsibilities.

I'm in the first of a three year contract, and I am debating as to whether or not I should move to Europe under a working holiday visa next year. I'd like to travel Europe for a few years, and possibly some other continents. By next summer I could save up around 20k or so, as well, a working holiday allows you to work to supplement some income while you travel. I've done the budgeting, and it is feasible. My dilemma here is "giving up" my career, which I was lucky to get into the first place. I am fairly young, but feel like I have already missed out on a lot in life, and am getting older every day, I feel like time is running out. I believe I could get a decent job upon returning, hopefully anyways.

Cliffs:

- I want to quit my "career" next summer and travel europe and the rest of the world, for a few years. I am under a 3 year contract, but can give them many (6-8) months notice.

Anyone else ever done this? Is this idea crazy?

I only live once... I want to make it enjoyable, but also realistic.

2. teo

teo . => ? => !

If you're not happy, don't stick around. You've got a limited amount of time in this life - don't make yourself regret wasting your time/youth by staying in a job you don't like. You have plenty of time to come back after travelling and pursue your career (or find a new one, for that matter). Who knows, travel may open new doors for you!

3. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Never miss out on a great adventure ;)

4. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

If you have the opportunity and aren't tied down (married, kids, etc) here DO IT! You won't regret it

5. ///M Pilot

///M Pilot New Member

Dooooo eeeeeeetttt.

I want to do that next summer. Just take off and fuck around for the summer.

6. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

Go for it, you have nothing to lose plus the opportunity to earn euros will be awesome given that it's worth more than the US dollar these days.

7. Marmitha

Marmitha Milk ftw

like you said, you only live once, its ok to take some chances in life. You have a solid background, so you WILL find a descent job when you return, maybe not AS good, but at least this way you can tell yourself, hey i travelled the fucking WORLD, :o.

8. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Young and nothing holding you back... I would say go for it, hell when I get out of college I want to take 6months to 1 year off before I join the work force so I can go see Asia.

9. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

Do it man, so I can at least live vicariously through you. Nothing changes your life for the better like travel. You only live once.

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You are 22 and you feel like time is running out?? Ok....time for a dose of reality....time isn't running out. You have your whole life ahead of you.

You have plenty of time...an example:

I took 8 years to get my first degree....so I didn't graduate till I was 26! Then I started into working and made a lot of money very quickly because I worked my ass off. It was great.

Then at 36 the company I worked for was sold and I got a nice severance check. I decided after I took some much needed time off to go back to Uni and pursue my passion, programming. I just turned 40 and graduated with my second degree a BS in CS.

You have plenty of time....another example:

A friend of mine graduated HS and didn't know what he wanted to do so he went to Europe for about 2 years. He lived and traveled there before returning to our hometown.

When he got back, he enrolled in pre-med classes, got his degree, entered med-school and went on to become an Oncologist (cancer doc). He's got a great career now, wife and kids, country club membership and all that. He's also got all these stories from his past.

If you didn't get it by now....you have plenty of time. Enjoy your life man. :)

11. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Thanks for the comments. Ok, I know I'm still young and have lots of life left, I just have a lot of goals/dreams/aspirations and I sometimes feel overwhelmed and that I am falling behind where I think I should be in life. I'd like to get in most of the world before age 30. So far the plan is Europe for about 4/5 years, Japan for a year, and Australia for a couple, with breaks in between each year back in Canada, and maybe the US. :coold:

12. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

one thing to keep in mind, and that's ANY good job will also have lots of responsibilities attached, so get used to it

that said, you're still young, plenty of time to travel around and such, but don't burn any bridges. Definitely do not screw your current company over

13. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

Im not a big of foreign travel. I have been to Europe and the cultural differences didnt sit well with me. I'd stay with the job, but that is just me.

14. Coottie

My experience has been that many people share this "falling behind" idea...especially when younger. This usually evolves into the "keep up with the Jones'" complex that is seen among soo many career oriented people where they have to have the biggest cars, the best houses, the coolest boats and all that other shit we can buy. Meanwhile they are driving themselves further and further into debt trying to keep up appearances. God forbid that anyone think they don't have their shit together.

Meanwhile they fucking hate their spouse, hate their jobs, suffer from road rage, some drink a lot, most are just miserable. Why?? Because of this mythical family....the Jones'. They try to keep up with them no matter what because to fall behind is the absolute worst fucking thing they can ever think of happening in their lives!! :run:

That's a retarded way to live....you know why?? Because there will always be someone who has done more or who has more stuff than you. Hell even Bill Gates now has someone with more wealth than him!! Oh shit....better get back to work Billy!

Fuck the Jones'....what did they ever do anyway except produce spoiled rotten kids that noone likes.....like Paris Hilton or some of the other douchbag young celebrities.

IMO here's a much better way to live. Do what you want because you want to.....not because you "don't want to fall behind"...what ever that means. Once you hit 30 you realize there is absolutely no possible way to do everything in life. Many people accomplish a shit load in their lifetimes but they still don't do everything. So we are forced to pick and choose what is important to us.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't be enthusiastic about life and experiencing new things. Not at all....go get em tiger!!! However, the idea that you are "falling behind" is an unreasonable expectation that will simply make you miserable. It will likely also cause you to not really enjoy anything you are currently experiencing. Why?? Because while you are experiencing something, you will constantly be thinking about the next thing to do.....so you are never able to just be in the moment.

Being in the moment, in the here an now, is really an awesome place to be. I have been able to experience some amazingly powerful things by just sitting still and meditating. I still like activities and travel, don't get me wrong. But constantly chasing after something is a sure way to make yourself miserable.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  15. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

Hey, I plan to do the same thing. I'm 24, in process of selling my house now, will resign from job soon after selling.

I want to hit up Europe, Asia, Australia.

:wavey:

16. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

I hear ya man, I get it. I do work myself up sometimes, though my "falling behind" is purely to my own personal standards, no Jones to keep up to. I just need to relax, been to stressed lately. I think I am going to do this, surprisingly even my family is supportive.

17. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Cool man, maybe see ya around sometime :cool:

18. Coottie

Cool man...hope you have a great time!!

I wasn't trying to come off as saying you should NOT do things or enjoy life.....just trying to provide a more realistic perspective. One of the benefits of being older is I realize I don't have to prove anything to anyone anymore. I spent a large portion of my life doing just that.

Anyways, safe journeys and be sure to update us from the road!! I'd love to hear about your travels as they are occurring.

19. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Definitely don't want to screw my current company, they gave me a good opportunity, and the bosses are great and like me, but we initially agreed there would be two people working here, and so far it has just been me covering a large portion of alberta myself, which is a 2-3 person job. I plan on giving them notice well in advance.

20. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Thanks man, will do. I'll be taking lots of pics and writing, how else will I remember this in 20 years? :rofl: