What should I do? v.harddrive DIED!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NSX, May 1, 2007.

1. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

Situation: It's been a over a week now since my macbook harddrive crashed on me. It was showing a folder with a question mark on it during startup. Took it to apple store and they said it's pretty much dead. This was later confirmed by the local university IT dept I took it to. I have gigs of data, mainly important pictures that I will never get back.

I called one of the data retrieval places Apple Store endorses and they quoted me at least $1500. :squint: That's absolutely ridiculous I thought.

So I'm pretty much fucked. I'm really tempted to file a lawsuit against Apple. The macbook is not even a year old and this happens. I've spent hours backing up the data in photo CD-R's when it suddenly died. I'm extremely frustrated right now and I'm beside myself.

What should I do? :wtc:

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

plug it in via firewire to another mac and a data recovery program yourself :bigok:

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

either come up with the recovery cash or start over. filing a lawsuit will probably get you no where, keep in mind that apple has much better lawyers on it's side

but you say that you spent hours backing up the data in photo cd-rs...?

edit: try what they say first, it might just be something simple in the system that is fucked, but the good data still remains

4. doublemeat

doublemeat New Member

I had a RAID die on me a few years ago......... it was the only time Norton Utilities came in handy.

It has something called Volume Recover that worked like a charm. So if you really want to get your shit back, I'd pony up the cash.

5. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

I just had a brand new Seagate 500 gig drive die with a ton of music, photos and 4 of my film projects on it (most just family trips and a spring break vid). The platters came completely off their bearings, so the read arm was scratching the shit out of the platter. Ie. im fucked either way I look at it.

6. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

so you backed up all the photos, so you HAVEN"T really lost the important pics.

best advice, if you bought you macbook like I did then you have a couple of day left on a one year warranty. if you don't just go to:

www.newegg.com

buy a larger hard drive and start fresh.

here's a link on the how to for DIY replacement of the macbook Hard drive:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf

7. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

also, backup your shit at least once a month. I have my my music + photos go to a external drive and my personal setting saved in my .mac account.

8. skolen

skolen Guest

Apple didn't make the HD, what lawsuit would you have against them? Most OEM drives have some sort of warranty.

If you wanna try something crazy that has worked all 3 times I've tried it you can take the HD out of your computer and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes. Make sure you have a 2.5" external kit ready to pop it into and plug it into another computer and grab everything you can off it as fast as you can if it comes up. Sometimes it fails mid-copy, sometimes it takes a little longer in the freezer.

9. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:eek4: I've never heard of doing this before....

:eek2:

10. dorkultra

the freezer thing might work, i've only had it work successfully with 1 drive out a a couple of dozen that have failed on me over the years. right after i ripped my stuff off of it, the drive died for good. this is because it heats up and condensation can kill a hard drive.
    this is a last option resort

is the drive clicking or not spinning up or rapidly starting and stopping?
    i would pull it out, connect it to a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and run some type of data recovery program, i can't remember the name of the top one. they always advertise it in macworld magazine.
    also, you say that your macbook is not even a year old, it's still under warranty correct?

11. dorkultra

you didn't open it up did you? you could have RMAed it. i've had a couple of seagate drive die on me within 3 months of purchase and had to rma them. turn around time was about 2 weeks