GUN What should I do for a first gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Aug 31, 2006.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

A quick bit of background, I haven't shot a gun in sometihng like 14 years, so recently I have decided that I want to get a gun and spend a little time at the range, but I am having a little trouble narrowing somethings down, so I just wanted some basic opinons for getting started. Hope I don't get flamed for being ignorant, but it seems all my friends that live near me have no interest in guns.

1) For fun (like out at the range.) and for simply not being something that would would outgrow quickly would you pick a handgun, rifle or shotgun? Keep in mind that I will starting essential from scratch with experiance and at this point I am NOT looking at something for home defense purposes.

2) Which ever one you picked (handgun, rifle or shotgun) do you have a recomendation? It obviously needs to be easy to handle, relatively cheap ammo and study, but beyond that I would like to get something that will not quickly lose its appeal or that I will outgrow. I would like to keep this around for years and years, if not the rest of my life. As for buget well I know the old you get what you pay for line, but I'd like to keep the price down as much as possible, while still meeting all my goals. Plus there is a chance at some point soon I might inherit a few older guns.

3) One last one, I guess if I buy a gun I should consider taking some sort of handling, saftey, caring for your gun course. Where would be the best place to look for one? I think someone once told me that the local police would know some gun saftey courses. (BTW I'm in Tallahassee, FL if anyone was wondering or knows the place.)

Fell free to throw in any other advise you think I should have.

Thanks.

2. mvizos

mvizos New Member

ruger 10/22. Fun, cheap, & you'll always enjoy the damn thing.

3. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Oh hell yes.

$220 + $80 + $10 =
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

it was my first gun... hundreds of aftermarket parts if you want to customize it. cheap to shoot, but a little pricey for initial purchase.

If you look around you can get them used for around $150

5. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

$200 for a gun is pricey? :ugh2: Seriously it's one of the cheapest non military surplus guns out there that's worth a shit (if not THE cheapest on average). Based on what you want it for I think that the 10/22 is your best bet. I've seen several for under $100 at pawn shops. The ammo is dirt cheap and if something happened where you DID happen to need it for home defense it's a hell of a lot better than a pointy stick. There are also so many things you can do to it that it could keep you busy for a long long time.

6. 22nut

22nut New Member

Basically everyone should own a 10/22. Get one, you won't regret it. The possibilities are endless.

7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

Everyones gotta have a 22.. its always something thats nice to have, pass it down to your kid someday, etc etc. Also, ammo is dirt cheap :bigthumb:

8. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

+1 on the 10/22. A LEO friend of mine has one that has had around 500k rounds put through it, and he has only had to replace the firing pin and extractor.

As for me, I am getting one this weekend I think :big grin:

9. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Not to mention the free range here in Tally.

10. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

10/22 +1

Am thinking about getting one soon

11. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

I love my 10/22

+1 more

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I must be the only one that practically never uses my 10/22 I cann't even remember last time i brought it to the range :o

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You can't go wrong with a 10/22. Cheap to buy and cheap to shoot. Plus there is a ton of aftermarket stuff.

14. BigBadJohn

I think its $175 for the carbine, and $219 for the long rifle at Walmart

15. Artyboy

I still need to buy one. My Mossberg 720 has run flawlessly but the lack of aftermarket parts makes me want to get a Ruger. It really sucks, too, because I hate supporting that fucking company. I'm just going to find the cheapest one that I possibly can in a pawn shop somewhere.

16. BigBadJohn

Why the hate on Ruger?

17. Artyboy

He supported the assault weapons ban. In fact he was instrumental in helping to write it. Basically he got in front of congress and said that no law abiding citizen has any business owning a gun with a capacity over 10 rounds. http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html

18. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

free range in tally, I hadn't heard about that :drool: that seals the deal for me just thinking about getting a gun. So where is this range?

and since you know tally are there any shops you would recommend there?

19. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

The range is in the Apalachicola National Forest, about 20 minutes from campus. The only place, besides pawn shops, that sells guns that I know of is Kevin's Sporting Goods, they have a pretty nice selection. It's located on Capital Circle.

20. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

'nother +1 for Ruger. I wanna get the improved trigger im always hearin about.

21. Gai

Gai New Member

Can never go wrong with a 10/22.

22. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

You certanly can't go wrong with a 10/22 but I'm with TL1000RSquid, it might get old quickly. I rarely bring any of my 22s out.

If you get a shotgun, probably a 12 or 20 gauge and probably a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 are the way to go there.

If you go for a handgun I would say a 9mm and the price you are willing to pay will dictate what manufacturers and models to look at. If you think you will keep the gun forever, then price should be of less concern. As for semi-autos, you should be able to find a new Glock around $450-500, a certified pre-owned Sig Sauer for $500-600, a new Sig for $600-700, a new HK USP for $700-800. In the end I think with a good handgun feel is the key. Try and hold/handle as many as you can and see what is most comfortable and feels right for you.

Night sights, extra mags, storage, cleaning supplies, etc need to be considered as well.

Edit: And there are tons of other choices other than what I have listed for each type. I only listed those because I pay attention to them and know the most about them.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  23. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

My friend's 10/22 is a jam-o-matic, I prefer the feel of my wife's remmington 597. :wiggle:

24. kds99

kds99 New Member

10/22t go ahead and get the heavy barrel target model. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and think its a great gun.

25. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Ok so here is the deal guys.

I visited my grandmother today and she has a closet with a few guns in it, some have already been picked over, but anyways (she claims when she dies she has no one to give them too so I may get more.)

there were two handguns in there (that I am not getting at least not now)
    1) 1911 Colt 45
    2) Browning 9mm (there was a word describing the 9mm, but I forget what it was.)

there were 3 separate 12 gauge shotguns (one was a winchester not sure of make of the other 2)

there was a single 30-.30 cal lever action (not sure of make again)

and finally new in box there is a remington (I think I remember correctly) 30-06

I am going to pick up the 30-06 tomorrow.

Its a beauty, its hard to imagine that these guns belonged to my grandfather who died 18 years ago, and haven't been disturbed since. The closet they are in has his old hunting vest in it with shotgun shells still on it, just like he had come in form hunting and never left.

So now all that is left to do is get a gunsmith to give it the once over since it has been sitting for 18 years.

Then I need to get eye and ear protection, anyone have a suggestion for good brand/modles for these? I don't need fancy, but I don't want to skimp on safety.

I need to buy some cleaning and oiling supplies for it, any tips from the pros (besides make sure the chamber is empty.) such as products and tools that work better than others?

Finally brand of ammo and any specifics for them for practice shooting at the range and if I ever get it out for hunting, any recommendation there? Websites to order it? Do internet orders of ammo get delivered to your door and if so are their hurdles to cross?

And I know I need to spend some time with an instructor to make sure I am doing everything correctly and safely, hopefully I will set something up later in the week with an instructor.

So apparently I am joining the ranks of this forum, I'm sure this won't be my last gun either.

I'll try and remember to give you guys a pic and the model number when I get back home tomorrow evening, but it might be after the FSU Miami game.

When I get the model number I'll probably ask about score recommendations from y'all.

Ammo is going to be more expensive so I might still get a 22 for cheaper shooting, but I want to own a gun that belonged to my grandfather.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006