What should I be taking post workout?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TQ, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I always take a couple scoops of protein and some oats or something like 30min after I'm done but I heard that complex carbs like that arent the best for post workout.

I was thinking about ordering some maltodextrin but I dunno if I should take it pre or post workout.
    http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=881

I really need help with my diet :hs:

Anything else I should be ingesting?

2. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

You could go for some more high GI carbs than oats. You might want to throw in some fruit. I'm not a big fan of dextrose, because I feel like you can just raise your glycogen levels PWO using real foods.

3. lif

lif New Member

If you wanna get technical make sure 50% of your postworkout carbs are dextrose, then throw in like 20% malto, 20% fructose and like 10% oats, but w/e.

I just take 25g of dextrose, 25g of malto, 1 cup of milk and a banana along with 24 g of protein.

You also want to stay away from fat now and the meal after this one.

4. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Food, why over complicate things?

5. Grimey

Grimey New Member

I go home and have a 40g protein shake with L-Glutamine and then eat dinner.

6. LancerV

Oh and I dont take anything post work, I just drink a mixture of 30g's BCAA, and 40g's whey during my workout and before my workout

7. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

thats why you're not alan aragon.

POSTWORKOUT

OBJECTIVE

the objective here is to raise insulin concentrations & get a head start on recovery by antagonizing cortisol & other catabolic elements, replenish water & glygogen, and restore levels of circulating amino acids. this is mistakenly viewed as the most important meal of the day, which is BS. why? because if you're not properly fueled prior to this point, your workout will suck. thus, it's equally important in the large scheme of things.

COMPOSITION

i'm not biased towards a shake-only postworkout philosophy, as long as either type contains a liquid component. 2 equally effective scenarios are:

scenario one: as soon as possible postworkout - or even at the tail end of the workout, say, 10-20 minutes before it's over. i start chugging my postworkout shake 60 minutes into my workout, regardless of how long my workout takes.
    ---- 30-60g protein (0.25g/lb target BW). whey again is pretty cheap & works great here. research shows that postworkout protein doesn't inhibit glycogen synthesis, and can improve protein synthesis. this means that you can hedge your anabolic & anticatabolic bets by taking in a sizable amount of protein postworkout. whey happens to be a highly insulinogenic protein, so this is ideal at this point.
    ---- 60-120g of high-GI carbs (0.5g/lb target BW), or a combination of types that ultimately averages to a high-GI rating (70 or above). dextrose & maltodextrin have traditionally been emphasized as ideal for postworkout because of their high-GI. however, i have issues with going pure dex for postworkout for a couple of reasons - and they have nothing to do with the threat of insulin resistance, because that whole scenario applies to a completely different population. first off, you can get some default dex within fruit or milk. secondly, pure dex has no micronutrient density, and i've said it before, antioxidant micronutrition is grossly under-emphasized whenever postworkout nutrition is discussed. dex is a fine addition to your postworkout carb arsenal, but to go pure dex for the largest carb hit of your day doesn't make sense from a micronutrient density standpoint - especially when dex is contained in other foods that are more nutrient dense and are still either high-GI or highly insulinemic.

dex (OR) 1/2 cup dry oats + 40g dex + 1 banana. these are just 2 examples out of many possibilities. i see nothing wrong with using high-moderate to high-GI carbs other than dex/malto, as long as the average GI of the combo is near or greater than 70. nitpicky theoretics aside, anything 65 or above on the GI scale (like the thinly rolled plain oats which people mistakenly think is in the low GI category) will likely have very similar real-world effectiveness as higher-GI choices. but remember, this is a discussion of optima, thus, we are scrutinizing the minutia and elucidating what might provide the edge.
    ---- as little fat as possible is best postworkout, because you don't want to blunt insulin output at this point.

a word about high or low-GI postworkout.. this is a topic that has sparked debate mainly from a finding by jentjens & colleagues showing the biphasic nature of glycogenesis (30-60min insulin-independent initial phase, followed by an insulin-dependent phase lasting several hours). this has led some sugarphobic folks to strive for low-GI foods postworkout thinking that high insulin concentrations aren't necessary for maximal glycogen replenishment. well, the fact remains that although heightened insulin concentrations don't ultimately increase the total AMOUNT of glycogen replenishment, they definitely increase the SPEED of glycogen replenishment. this is of obvious benefit when the unavoidable overlap of muscular work (and hence need for rapid replenishment) is considered. another thing that's overlooked by low-GI PW advocates (jeez, that's so ridiculous i can't believe i just typed it), is that the 30-60 minute non-insulin-dependent phase is an ideal timeframe to absorb high-GI carbs immediately ingested postworkout and have them present & ready to coincide with the insulin-depended phase of glycogenesis - where the majority of total glycogenesis takes place. as an added bit of trivia, high-GI carbs are sooooo darn good at replenishing glycogen, that even a delay of 2hrs was not observed by parkin's research team to compromise total amount of glycogen replenishment (by the way, this is not recommended, i'm just driving a point). hopefully everyone realizes the importance of manipulating insulin for all aspects of anabolism & anticatabolism. there's much much more to this facet of discussion, but we'll leave it at that.

8. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Use the Malto and have a shake.

9. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

fructose isn't very high on the GI index, malto/dextrose would be a better choice.

10. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I drink two scoops of whey protein with about a cup and a half of skim milk

11. Steve325

Steve325 Guest

get the anti-oxidants too. I typically do an apple afterwards along with a 50g/50g dextrose/protein shake

12. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

:cool:

Lately I've been eating an apple too.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna order some Malto

13. lif

lif New Member

Thats far too few carbs post workout, even if your cutting.

14. LancerV

Im at a total of 12carbs today and Im cutting

15. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

:ugh:

16. AaronOC

AaronOC Guest

don't mind him

17. lif

lif New Member

Sweet, why are you cutting again? Don't you do like 35lb dumbells on bench?

18. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

:rofl:

19. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Fruits arent made only of fructose and there are some high-GI fruits such as bananas.

20. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

banana's are low GI, 40-50 or so depending on how ripe

21. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Well, there's something I didn't know. Dried fruits are a high GI alternative then, dates among other fruits. Thanks for the correction.

22. LancerV

But can dead over 400 :hsugh:

23. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

that's a great article and alan's the fucking man when it comes to this shit, but as he says right at the end "but remember, this is a discussion of optima, thus, we are scrutinizing the minutia and elucidating what might provide the edge." and again here

these things are pretty minor overall and basically irrelevant for 99% of people.

24. LancerV

:werd:

25. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

A protein shake, chicken, and a baked potato.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.